Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 Dec 2002, 13:51 (Ref:458878)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Melo aiming for TWS or CART

In a interview with crash.net Jamie Melo Jnr was telling cras.net his plans for 2003 and has said that hes seriously considering a drive in the TWS as well as CART. Although nothing is definte yet.

Personally I can see him racing in the TWS, the competition in CART would be too much I think with the likes of Zonta, Bourdais, Janquria all aiming for race seats.

For anyone wanting the interview here it is,http://www.crash.net/news_detail.as...36&language_id=
Old 29 Dec 2002, 06:50 (Ref:459381)   #2
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't matter who's 'aiming' for seats, it only matters who has money. Every remaining ride in Champcar has a price tag associated with it. Therefore, Melo jr has a good a chance as anyone of landing a ride. Does he have any money?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 13:16 (Ref:459501)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats not neccacarily true, Bourdais dosent have a lot of money, I mean he barley had enough for this years F3000 championship. CART is a Professional racing series, its not the same as F3000. It does matter whos aiming for seats, if u get a test with a team and say ur aiming for a seat with them or in TWS of course that matters.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 21:04 (Ref:459726)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and Bourdais doesnt have a CART ride, so whats your point?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:15 (Ref:459769)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Shows what u know, he could still get a seat with NHR, they havent decided on who yet, seeing as the times of the last day of testing were identical. Even if Bourdais dosent get a seat with NHR there are plenty of other seats available in CART.

You seem to forget CART is a professional series, the TWS isnt. Thats my point. You dont need money to get into CART as its a professional series.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:22 (Ref:459772)   #6
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you need money everywhere! even NHR will have to decide regarding to budget! sure, they won´t take everybody with lots of cash (therefore it´s professional) but, if there are equal drivers they are likely to decide on money
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:35 (Ref:459785)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Newman-Haas dont have sponsors for the #2 car. They dont even have a sponsor for Bruno right now. They really arent able to go around giving out free rides to anyone.

Shows how much you know
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:11 (Ref:459807)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not sponsorless though...they just don't have a title sponsor for either of their cars. No doubt they'll get one for Bruno, and the other seat will likely go to whoever can bring one. My guess would be Zonta.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:30 (Ref:459813)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Exactly, a sponsor shoudnt be a problem. Zonta is a big name in Brazil and Im sure he could bring on a sponsor, as could Bourdais.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:43 (Ref:459821)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

no title sponsor = sponsorless. N/H isnt one of those teams that has 10 little guys. Without Texaco and Lilly they basically have nothing. And even less so now without Toyota throwing in free engines and extra money
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:46 (Ref:459825)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
lol oh dear how dilluded u are. NHR will have a title sponsor, they are also the best team in CART as it stands. Still I will wait and when the time comes u will be weaping over what uve said, when NHR with Janqueria and Zonta line up on the grid, with sponsorship and finish the race 1-2.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:55 (Ref:459829)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

I can factually say that right now(december 29th) neither Bruno J's car has any sponsor, or that the 2nd car has a sponsor or a driver.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 00:20 (Ref:459839)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Hopefully they'll come up with a title sponsor, if not they'll get what they need from Cart. I have a bad feeling that even if they have a title sponsor lined up they delay announcing it to get whatever they can from Cart. (Tagliani hinted at this) Any other expenses will likely be paid out of pocket - not good.

From what I've read, Lily is reupping in a smaller way, and they will undoubtably keeps some of their smaller sponsors (at least the ones they have a controlling interest in).

Last edited by Jay; 30 Dec 2002 at 00:21.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Dec 2002, 13:48 (Ref:460094)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Saleen, but Newman-Haas do not have sorted sponsorship for next year, and the majority of CART entrants are dependant on their sponsorship provided by drivers. Camarthias, Lavin, Jourdain and Gonzalez are all paying for their drives.

Frankly I've seen nothing to suggest that Melo can shine in CART, although the grid will be quite weak (by recent standards) next season, so it could be the right time to get in there. TWS is more his level, being made up of lots of F3000 cast-offs like Montagny and Leinders.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 18:39 (Ref:460316)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Unless Melo is going to bring a nice big check, I don't think he'll get the second seat at NH Racing either. From everything they've been saying, and finances considered, my bet is Zonta, but never know...

Maybe in 2004...
Old 31 Dec 2002, 00:53 (Ref:460609)   #16
bleiben
Racer

Catalonia
bleiben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Frankly I've seen nothing to suggest that Melo can shine in CART, although the grid will be quite weak (by recent standards) next season, so it could be the right time to get in there. TWS is more his level, being made up of lots of F3000 cast-offs like Montagny and Leinders.
Melo was on the pace with Zonta, Montagny and Leinders with very few time on the TWS car. He did much better than other newcomers (Edwards, Ebrahim, Rodrigo Sperafico) and much,much,much better than Roberto Gonzalez who is driving in CART next season.
He'd do a very good job in CART.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:29 (Ref:460624)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Sorry Saleen, but Newman-Haas do not have sorted sponsorship for next year, and the majority of CART entrants are dependant on their sponsorship provided by drivers. Camarthias, Lavin, Jourdain and Gonzalez are all paying for their drives.

NHR Dont have any sponsorship sorted that we know of, yet. They could well be delaying a announcement of a new sponsor. As for the grids being weak, no Zonta looks like he is joining CART, as does Sebastian Bourdais and Pantano has signed for the new BC Motor Sports team. http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...5&language_id= Now all we are waiting for is a offical announcment from the team. With the likes of Alex Yoong looking to join Forsyth racing and Bruno Janqueria already at NHR the championship to me looks stronger.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:47 (Ref:460640)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
With the likes of Alex Yoong looking to join Forsyth racing......the championship to me looks stronger.
Quote of the century, by far
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:56 (Ref:460643)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Oh my, Russfeld, I actually agree with you there.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:57 (Ref:460645)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Alex didnt do very well in F1 that is true, but if u look at his final 3 races in F1 he was outperforming Webber ie USA GP apart from the fact his engine let go in the race, he did out qualify him.

I think people were too harsh on Yoong. He did do badly yes, but after his break he came back in a differnt racer. Had he had a 2nd year in F1 he may have done a lot better. Remember the likes of Benoldi he was always just in front of the bottom Minardi when he started in F1 and that was because of the car nothing to do with the drivers talent.

This year he did better, not much but a bit in his 2nd year, who knows in Alex's 2nd year he could have done better. Paul Stoddart said he was strongly considering keeping Yoong in a F1 seat after his final 3 performances of the year but has decided against it.

Russfeld, dont attack my responses. I dont attack yours, try and find something objective to say can u? Theres been lots of drivers worse in F1 than Yoong ie Estaban Tuero and Gaston Mazzican.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 02:06 (Ref:460648)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Well, we'll see about Yoong... though there hasn't been anything close to official that he's racing in Cart next year. I think an excellent finish for him will be in the points...and 1->12 gets points in Champ cars.

Good luck to Melo, but as is the sad fact at the moment, it's more a matter of how much money he can bring to the table than how well he placed last season.... otherwise Bourdais would get the seat.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 02:16 (Ref:460652)   #22
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I think Yoong will do better than what u think Jay. He probably wont do well in his first year but given time he might be capable of getting podium finishes.

Still then again maybe he wont, but Ive got no doubt that given time he could get a top 6 finish or 2 per season.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 02:56 (Ref:460664)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Time? Well he's buying his ride, so he'll have as much 'time' as he can afford...
Old 31 Dec 2002, 10:54 (Ref:460798)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
NHR Dont have any sponsorship sorted that we know of, yet. They could well be delaying a announcement of a new sponsor. As for the grids being weak, no Zonta looks like he is joining CART, as does Sebastian Bourdais and Pantano has signed for the new BC Motor Sports team. http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...5&language_id= Now all we are waiting for is a offical announcment from the team. With the likes of Alex Yoong looking to join Forsyth racing and Bruno Janqueria already at NHR the championship to me looks stronger.
Zonta and Bourdais are going for the same seat, so I don't know how they can both get drives. Junquiera at NHR is still rumour rather than fact, although I think it will happen.

BC Motorsports is a new team which needs to learn about the series, just like Rocketsports, American Spirit and all the others. And most of the signed rookies, Pantano and maybe Haberfeld apart, are paydrivers with nothing on their CVs.

There's no doubt that this is a weak grid, I'm sure most people will agree with me. You can't lose half your entrants, replace them with some monied upstarts and a few promising talents, and expect a strong field. I think all the drivers who remain will finish higher in the series than in 2002, except maybe Bruno.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 10:59 (Ref:460801)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I dont agree. Bourdais is a fantastic driver, u cant call a F3000 champion a promising young driver, F3000 isnt a junior category, and Pantano finished 2nd in the series he is also fantastic. Yoong will be joining the series no doubt and he is also a very good driver and then theres Zonta, he is a ex F3000 champion and the current TWS champion.

You say that the other rookies apart from Pantano and Harberfield, u seem to be forgetting Bourdais, who finished higher in F3000 this year than Pantano - he won the title, and Zonta he won the TWS. Im sure they arent "pay" drivers as u say.