Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1940756)   #101
davey
Rookie

davey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, I am looking for any pics of John Quick's e type? My father prepared his car (and other drivers) at garage in Camberwell. My weekends were spent at various tracks - even delaying a race at Snetterton when my brothers and I decided to see if we could walk around the track!!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1940789)   #102
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orouge
Not strictly circuit racing - but any suggestions as to who, when and where?

its the chevrolet lister isnt it? last out at this weekend's Le Mans support race driven by Whizzo Williams until David Piper's green P4 Ferrari tboned it ;-(
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1940790)   #103
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONDELLO MAN
A Thistle Tune Mini Estate; don't recall seeing a photo before; so Ginger Marshall wasn't the first.
my co driver in The Autosport 3 Hour this year was Terry Van der Zee. He raced a 100E Estate back in the early/mid 60's with a Triumph TR4 engine in it, apparently it was banned after winning a BARC race
Old 29 Jun 2007, 04:16 (Ref:1949391)   #104
JAG928s
Rookie

JAG928s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davey, are you Stuart's son? I raced against John often in E types and knew Stuart well, he was a lovely man and unknown to John Quick (who would have been furious) helpful to me.
Best regards, John Wilson
Old 29 Jun 2007, 16:21 (Ref:1949843)   #105
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Yes, that car 1628VC is owned by Jonathan Suckling of The Lloyds Motor Club and has been driven at the Goodwood revival by Tiff and also Win Percy. It is original.
Only just caught up with this thread - started before I joined 10/10ths! I know Jonathan quite well - the car was driven in period (maybe not exclusively) by Roy Salvadori.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2088739)   #106
Alastair Cox
Rookie

Alastair Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Sorry to be late to the party ... but are you talking about 'our' Yimkin?

My father owned and hill climbed one during the 70's (Castle Howard etc.) and sold it on before regret shortly settled in.

I have got a great photo and will dig it out over Chritsmas ... and would be great to pass on an 'up to date' record to pop!

Best wishes,

Alastair Cox

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Dec 2007 at 09:41.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2091127)   #107
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alistair, warm welcome! I have deleted what appears to be your personal mobile no, as its public disclosure breaches our rules, for your own protection! Anyone wishing to contact Alistair can do so through our PM facility.

More of this period in Club racing history, please!
Old 20 Dec 2007, 10:27 (Ref:2092535)   #108
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing fxgt
Do you remember this mini fitted with 1800cc engine,when I saw it at Brands, I'm sure the rear of the car had standard wheels looked really funny going along the main straight.
What a fascinating thread this is, my interest in club motorsport started mid 60's so seeing these picture bring back many memories.
This 1800cc Mini is fascinating, what engine did it use? Surely not a BMC B-Series as that would have the carbs at the back like the normal A-Series, or does it have a special cylinder head too?
(There was supposed to be a B-Series engined Mini built by BMC for the film The Italian Job, but this apparently fell apart at the end of filming!).
Please keep the pictures and memories coming folks...
Old 20 Dec 2007, 18:35 (Ref:2092880)   #109
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orouge
Not strictly circuit racing - but any suggestions as to who, when and where?

Looks alot like the Karousel at Gurston Down
Old 20 Dec 2007, 19:44 (Ref:2092920)   #110
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
I think the bank on the outside is too steep.

Could be Scammonden?

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 20 Dec 2007 at 19:52.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2092923)   #111
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what i first thought, but it is the 60's could be when it was first developed ?
Old 20 Dec 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2092944)   #112
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it had been established that it was Firle?.....I'm old enough to remember it being used
Old 20 Dec 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2092966)   #113
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'd go for Firle too - remember an old pic of a TC in roughly the same pose in the club mag aeons ago...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 07:21 (Ref:2093180)   #114
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like Firle to me to. What about John Coundley, Tajero Jag?
I had my first competition there in 1967, Ford 105 Anglia.
Took off the line with so many revs, the axle tramp shook the exhaust off in practice. FTD was a chap with a super Elan. Or did he ahave a big shunt at the top?
Well wide of the apex isn't he? First/bottom corner Firle would be my bet.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2104961)   #115
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyabacus
Bill needham also made a single seater which was called the Coldwell Mink. The car was built for a guy called John Houghton who out up the money, however when his wife heard about how much the car cost she exclaimed that she could have bought a Mink Coat with that money and so the car was christened accordingly.
The car was front engined and built around 1963, it was designed to run either a Ford 1000cc Screamer or a BMC Formula Junior, Bill developed a unit from special parts supplied variously by Frank Williams and BMC. Story has it that there were six special cranks that were going to be tested by Bill, one of these went into the engine for the Mink. However there was a break in at his factory and the other five were stolen. The car was built to run in both F2 and F3 although I have had difficulty verifying exactly haw much it was used in either. Bill told me that he does have some 8mm film of it in various shakedown runs in F3. I purchased the Mink around ten years ago from Colin Cooper a well known single seater man but sadly had to pass it on recently and its now with Spencer Elton.

According to Bill Needham it did do quite a number of events at Oulton Park during the 60's.
Does anyone have any photos of it racing I wonder?
And now it's in my garage..... or more accurately, spread all over it!

I have posted the video mentioned above on 'another' forum, but here is a link to the video and photos of the car both now and in period as I'm sure it'll be of some interest to some here.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C26994

(The links are contained within a 'for sale' advert, unfortunately )
Old 13 Jan 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2105095)   #116
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
on the subject of 60's club racers, I've recently acquired a load of bits to strew round the other half of my workshop as well !

65/66 Rochdale Olympic, has some period competition history mostly autocross racing, some sprints etc at Brands, got some super 8 and cine footage, cars pretty much complete, my intention is to restore it and go racing in it, it runs Ford Cortina engine, box and rear axle, although in 67 it was rebuilt with a Hewland diff and 5 speed box, and a Broadspeed 1300 screamer . . . . .
Old 14 Jan 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2105759)   #117
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Image of the Lister - Steve Wilkinson might correct me here - Hairpin at the top of the Rest & be Thankful hillclimb?
Old 15 Jan 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2106907)   #118
orouge
Rookie

Scotland
Norfolk
orouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Picture shows Dave Beckett rounding the first corner at Firle (Bo-Peep) Hill-climb on 12th July 1964 in his Lister Jaguar. He set FTD but my records do not give time. (Can't remember why I posted this picture in the first place)
Old 10 Feb 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2125821)   #119
Brian Asbey
Rookie

United Kingdom
Withersfield
Brian Asbey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Fred, I doubt if you will remember me, I am a friend of TONY BARKER, and helped prepare the Alan Woode Spridget. (you had some fab photos)
I remember the late 60's as some of the most exciting times in club motor sport, and in particulat the "blown" version of the MG Midget that Woodie built, (my claim to fame was making some of the customised engineering on the engine).
Do you have any records of the various circuits that car held the lap record for, (I am trying to put together the history of the Midget, and any info you have will be appreciated)
my email is brimoasbey@aol.com
I would like to meet up with you at a time convenient to you in Harlow, along with Tony, Best regards, Brian
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2126297)   #120
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brian, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Fred passed away in 2002, see this tribute thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=fred+scatley
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2130430)   #121
sterling49
Rookie

sterling49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No information on these two. 1968
As Andy say's the great car of Roger Enever, and I think the SS 1800 car of John Britten before it went to yellow fastback and ultimately an Arkley SS.

I have many times been know to be wrong, said the hedgehog, climbing off the yardbroom....
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2130433)   #122
sterling49
Rookie

sterling49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
I was at Paddock the day he was involved in that awful pile up, he sat motionless in the car for ages, and the horn was blaring as he was slumped against the wheel. It was a pretty quick car, and was nicely prepared, IIRC it had a 1600 Ford pushrod engine.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2182655)   #123
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
dtb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am new to Ten-Tenths and have found this thread whilst searching for Bill Nicholson.

I am related to Bill and I am gathering material about his racing days. These is not much family left to contact and I would be very grateful if anyone has any pictures or info they could email me.

As a young child we visited Bills home and I can remember the his awesome trophy cabinet, his huge fearsome Alsation (from memory) dog. I also remember going to the garage and sitting in the MGB reving the deafeningly load engine. If anyone can help please send a pm and I would be grateful, many thanks.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2182683)   #124
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
PM sent
Old 30 Apr 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2191009)   #125
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
What a fascinating thread this is, my interest in club motorsport started mid 60's so seeing these picture bring back many memories.
This 1800cc Mini is fascinating, what engine did it use? Surely not a BMC B-Series as that would have the carbs at the back like the normal A-Series, or does it have a special cylinder head too?
(There was supposed to be a B-Series engined Mini built by BMC for the film The Italian Job, but this apparently fell apart at the end of filming!).
Please keep the pictures and memories coming folks...

I have a feeling it was an engine from the 1800 cc landcrab BMC? Still B series but obviously transverse.

Pete