Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1765414)   #76
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No one can do that. "r' engine parts will not bolt to LSx engine parts.

One of the fetures slighty differnt spacing between cyclinders for added strength plus better oiling and cooling channels, plus the bolt patters are differnt for just about averything. Plus 1/4" longer then LSx blocks.
]
This is odd, as that makes the broo ha ha, about the long suspension arms on the C5R, seem stupid, as, if what you say is true, it is non-production related, non-homologated engine, that is not related to the LS in near any manner.
It would be closer to the new hi-po mouse (rejected by NASCAR) which has larger bore spacing, though all cylinder heads still fit.(One can enlarge the bore spacing on a block and still use same heads, if it is within tolerances of the heads. It allows besides more inches, to unshroud the valves. I am speaking of actual center to center location, not diameter)
This would make the ACO objections to the Maserati seem asinine.
Quote:
The old C5R block has much longer cylinder sleeves too. Specially made bearings, Bolt patter for the Dry sump pan is differnt they anything on the market. The newer LS7.r ( for the C6R) is even more specalized.
Sleeving and resleeving, is not easy if you do not have the gear, but if you do, nowadays, it is easier and less prone to errors than boring a cylinder.
Many enigne builder reccomend to sleeve, rather than bore, even on iron blcoks.

quote]The new Warhawk blocks are closer to the C5R blocks. and Katechs LS2 block ( not Chevy's LS2 block) is closer to the C5R block.
[/QUOTE]

Something is real odd here, as the BxS you gave me is well over 427 inches, what size is the Corvette allowed to run?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1765415)   #77
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Can you please stop poluting this Ferrari GT1 topic with Corvette stuff?
Sir I sympathize with you but the Ferrari is said to be DOA, so what is there to say about it.
It the mod wants to he can move the Vette posts to GT1, I guess
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1765420)   #78
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
]
Something is real odd here, as the BxS you gave me is well over 427 inches, what size is the Corvette allowed to run?
I sent an email to Katech about those stroke listed. The sent me back saying that was a misprint. The Stroke was less, That is correct stroke is 3.875.

We can ( and seem to be) getting into the little details of GT1 cars. One thing we are finding out in our 'healthy Gentlemans" dicussion is that not all seems to be what we think or might be use too.

Yes a GT1 Corvette, Ferrari 550, or AM DB9r Looks like road going cars, but in reality they may not be.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 14 Nov 2006 at 00:21.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1765434)   #79
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
CORRECT. The GT1 cars only look like the road going versions. Lots of changes and secrcey in building the GT1 cars. And why there are so few of them.

Where as GT2 cars are for the most part, road going cars converted to race cars.

Damn this makes my head spin.
This is the bizarre part, the "new" GT1 cars were suppposed to be closer to prod. than the C5 and its direct comp., but it seems it is just the opposite, except for length and width.
I wonder just goes through the ACO official's heads, beside wind?
-------------------------------------------
Quote:
If you want to limit the power to make the engines cheaper and more durable…
Hammer:
The reality is, I don't think reliability is a real problem anymore, but trying to control power output with restictors, has only made it extremely expensive to overcome the restrictors.
And so it goes.
Bob
Old 14 Nov 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1765586)   #80
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The reality is, I don't think reliability is a real problem anymore, but trying to control power output with restictors, has only made it extremely expensive to overcome the restrictors.
And so it goes.
Bob
I was thinking of the Prodrive/Care system which claims to increase intervals between rebuilds and reduce the costs. I guess we'll have to wait and see!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1766113)   #81
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But if the sanctioning body uses this to apply "performance adjustments" whos to say what effect it will have on long term engine life(while sustaining competitiveness)? And in essence it could cost more to achieve the work arounds than it does now. Lets not be naive everyone will use work arounds to up thier competitiveness, its the name of the game(WIN).

L.P.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1766201)   #82
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Lets not be naive everyone will use work arounds to up thier competitiveness, its the name of the game(WIN).

L.P.
Bingo. the cars will just be tuned and optimized to the current "performance adjustments" regulations.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1766741)   #83
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The points you make about the Corvette blocks do beg the question as the rules do require you to use the same basic engine and in my simple view that means blocks and heads. If you cannot rebuild a Corvette engine on a standard block, even a selected standard bock then that is not to the rules.

As I understand both the Prodrive cars they use ex production units for the engines. If we are saying that Corvette use specials that really makes the GT1 Corvette a Prototype not a GT car as I said.

I am glad you like my 600 panel idea Bob, that would be just as legal as the Corvette from what AU N EGL says.

Recently I tried to look up the various regs on the series sites but could not find them, are they available to the casual punter like me or do you have to be a potential entrant to get a copy and if so, do they cost?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1766768)   #84
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Here are the ACO tech regs:
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...4hauto_gb.html

FIA = http://www.fia.com

Homologations:
http://www.fia.com/sport/Homologatio..._vehicles.html

Technical Lists
http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/techlists.html

GT
http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/gtregs.html

If there is a discrpency between the English and French versions, the French version is used.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1766881)   #85
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks AU N EGL (again) I will have a read.

Anybody read DSCs piece by J Mowlem concerning Intl GT Open race in Spain? Is this our future?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1766887)   #86
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DBR9 engine has its bore and stroke altered, to squarier values if memory serves... I'm not an expert, but that also involves major modifications and takes it quite far away from the twin-Duratec used in the road car... I've read in Racecar Engineering that the engine (and the rest of the car) was developped with a chequebook in hand, since what you can do under the regulations lets you spend as much as you want on FEA analysis and smallish horsepower gains...
Old 15 Nov 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1766965)   #87
old man
Veteran

England
UK
You can change bore and stroke by changing cranks and liners but still use the same block and heads as well within reason. Going back an awful long time the FVC engine from Cosworth went from a 1600 FVA (half of a DFV in principle) as the starting point to 1900cc plus in the end. My problems start when you need special castings that are not production units for any version of the car you are racing.

Last edited by old man; 15 Nov 2006 at 16:29.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1767036)   #88
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you will find that both teams do things that you might think are out of line if scrutineered closely. But I also think that both are within the rules. As to the ability of purchasing the engine, I would venture to say that the C5R's and C6R's running in Europe as privateers have them. So they are obtainable as these are not factory teams. They may be highly selective in who but they do allow it.

L.P.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 03:36 (Ref:1767321)   #89
Bob Riebe
Veteran

In reality, I have little doubt that one can switch and swap off of the racing Chebby onto a street Chebby, but if and when they are a one horse race, a engine builder will spread disinformation, to keep it that way.
Bob
PS--The last time I remember, in a major series req. prod. Bore, and for awhile stroke, was the original T-A.
That made life a little too hard even for Detroit, so before the end they loosened it a bit.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1767532)   #90
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I see no problem with changing bore and stroke so long as the castings are from the homologated car
Old 16 Nov 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1767623)   #91
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm sure Ferrari and Pininwhatever know what they are doing, looks quite tidy to me.

vents on the bonnet to help engine cooling, and improve aero. vents exiting behind wheen arches proby to aid the escape of air from the wheel arches. and vents infront of the rer wheel arches to cool the rear brakes.
And i like the rear window and pillars, XJS style.

And i'd love to see it racing.

Last edited by Smokey 6 litre; 16 Nov 2006 at 11:37.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1767726)   #92
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
In reality, I have little doubt that one can switch and swap off of the racing Chebby onto a street Chebby,
???

Racing converted to a street chebby ? OK ..... have a look here

Photo trip into Pratt & Miller
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575722
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DEFAULT/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1768009)   #93
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
???

Racing converted to a street chebby ? OK ..... have a look here

Photo trip into Pratt & Miller
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575722
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DEFAULT/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
I am speaking of engine components, about the only thing on the Vette that could be switched is the frame and probably firewall, and the frame would not just bolt in.

In the engine, I really doubt that on cannot take prod. heads and put themon the race block, and vice versa.
I do not mean pistons.
I also do not mean switch the parts and simply start the engine.
Remember various types of the mouse engine can be swapped but some machining work is needed for some items, i.e. rockers, fuel pumps because of differences over time, or application, BUT if one wants, one can still switch and swap, if the extra work is done.
Bob