Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3929143)   #51
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks! Lots to consider as the car should be racing at a Spa next w/end and Portimao next month......

Yes, bit odd last race this year at Le Castellet and first event there next April..... And the Med can be quiet cold at that time of year!

I prefer the yellow 512 but as it’s not here.....
Spa, Portimao and Paul Ricard. Not bad eh

Yes . Odd that it was languishing down in 32nd place so hope its alright.Remember I think in 2015 they had a 512 M, 512s and a 312p all racing in one race along with an Alfa 33 aswell. WOW

Very envious now Mike, all these lovely cars your seeing (and racing) .

2 917s on track. What a job Peter Auto does in that regard. Be interesting how many feature at Le Mans Classic next year along with 512. Should hold a banner trying to convince them to come over to Brands etc for a historic meet.

I do prefer the 512m over the S. Do like the Penske liveried one featured in the Petrolicous vid.

Looking forward to watching on timing the battle between the 333sp and Speed 8.

Was looking at the Setup for XJR 14. Looked incredible.Quality Grp C grid- XJR8,9,14,Peugoet 905, 2×R90CK and a C11. Just no words.

Seems in a way that 60s enduro is the last domain for the normal Cobra 289 now with so many Daytonas popping. Think I've seen 2 more on entry lists for Spa.

Last edited by Willmaz223; 20 Sep 2019 at 20:19.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 05:00 (Ref:3929201)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
During FP I was standing next to a driver of mature years on the pitwall, and his comment as the 917s went past side by side was- ‘I’d pay good money to watch this!’

Think the 512 was suffering mechanical gremlins in Q. Was in and out of pits a lot.

Form memory we’ve only seen the 312P once or twice in the last few years but it is stunning. Seems to have the lowest roofline of any part from the Ford F3L, which sadly isn’t racing now, but was my favourite of all.....

Gutted if I don’t get to race. Only driven here once, 6 years ago in the same car, and my second Q lap yesterday was over a second faster than the fastest then. There was easily two more to come off that time, and I reckon could have taken the fight to the other SLR. But sometimes, things just don’t go your way....

Unless a miracle happens this morning possibilities of whether the car can be fixed for Spa being discussed. Maybe we can get a spare engine out from the UK and fit at the circuit....

Cobras- My take is that anyone building a new one now builds a Daytona Coupe, and there are several Brits that have done so. Most PA Cobras are older cars that have been around a while, so unless the owners want a new car, they stick to the normal version.... There is also the 7 litre ‘Factory Demonstrator’ Shelby Cobra in CER1, which originally ran in 60s Endurance before someone pointed out that it wasn’t actually eligible....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 21 Sep 2019 at 05:07.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3929208)   #53
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
During FP I was standing next to a driver of mature years on the pitwall, and his comment as the 917s went past side by side was- ‘I’d pay good money to watch this!’

Think the 512 was suffering mechanical gremlins in Q. Was in and out of pits a lot.

Form memory we’ve only seen the 312P once or twice in the last few years but it is stunning. Seems to have the lowest roofline of any part from the Ford F3L, which sadly isn’t racing now, but was my favourite of all.....

Gutted if I don’t get to race. Only driven here once, 6 years ago in the same car, and my second Q lap yesterday was over a second faster than the fastest then. There was easily two more to come off that time, and I reckon could have taken the fight to the other SLR. But sometimes, things just don’t go your way....

Unless a miracle happens this morning possibilities of whether the car can be fixed for Spa being discussed. Maybe we can get a spare engine out from the UK and fit at the circuit....

Cobras- My take is that anyone building a new one now builds a Daytona Coupe, and there are several Brits that have done so. Most PA Cobras are older cars that have been around a while, so unless the owners want a new car, they stick to the normal version.... There is also the 7 litre ‘Factory Demonstrator’ Shelby Cobra in CER1, which originally ran in 60s Endurance before someone pointed out that it wasn’t actually eligible....
Just shows you how incredible they are.

Just mentioned another favourite of mine.

The Ford F3l and the 908 Langheck were at Spa in 2016. The 312 P was at Le Mans and Monza classics. Sounds even better than a 512. Can't believe how low they look.

Is that the 427 version. Take my hat of to the driver racing that. Talk about power:
Old 21 Sep 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3929220)   #54
Willmaz223
Veteran

Interesting that Goodwood are now uploading lots of vids from Peter Auto this year.

3:42. Lovely shot of the Morgan Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjW3e-4Z2Y

Onboard from the pole Cobra. Talk about traffic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGnlFnnxF4&t=136s

Last edited by Willmaz223; 21 Sep 2019 at 10:36.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3929242)   #55
Willmaz223
Veteran

Unlucky Mike about not getting car out. Hope it can be out for Spa.

Seems like myself posting how well the Morgans did has been a curse as the other SLR has stopped if timing is to be correct.

Last edited by Willmaz223; 21 Sep 2019 at 15:48.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3929244)   #56
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah sorry Mike to hear of your bad luck. Echo what Will said above in hope you can get it sorted in time for Spa.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3929245)   #57
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

Onboard from the pole Cobra. Talk about traffic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGnlFnnxF4&t=136s
Looked like it was on the limiter a lot, at least half the main straight... I presume that is what the red light in front of the driver was.

The problems of a fast car in traffic.... you keep catching up all the other cars going slower
Old 21 Sep 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3929246)   #58
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Some exquisite cars in the videos, but what really got me was the gorgeous sounds.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3929248)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monza Historic 2019 - Friday, Day 2 Highlights - Ferrari 330 GTO, Cobra, BMW 3.0 CSL.... 10 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqvgsbuyp4Y
Old 21 Sep 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3929257)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sadly looks like the red car may not make the race. Started losing oil from front of the engine, and then when firing up again in pit lane, no oil pressure......

Nothing found so far, but worst case scenario is No 1 main bearing. More investigation in morn, but we’re now just finishing off superb pizzas and beer!
That's rubbish. Sorry Mike.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3929258)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

You better let me know quick Mike if you want me to bring out the spare engine.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 18:10 (Ref:3929264)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You better let me know quick Mike if you want me to bring out the spare engine.
Thanks for the offer Bud. Brett has a spare engine at Brands Hatch and is taking it to Spa with the six hour car. He’s taking an engine crane as well so we can swap Thursday......

They say Monza is hard on cars, and I think this evening’s race proved it! The shiny SLR looks like water pump failure and resultant coolant loss, then overheated engine before John realised.

Shame as all the championship rivals failed as well, so a good result would have been useful! As is, points table will likely be little changed....
Old 22 Sep 2019, 08:35 (Ref:3929363)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Damp this morning, and CER2 teams had a dilemma- slicks or wets? The TOJ started on slicks and struggled for a while, but then as the track dried they became the tyre of choice....

The BBLM came in and swapped in the pit lane. That car is huge, it hardly fits the tents!
Attached Thumbnails
BD0D26AE-2B3D-4E06-8EBE-F5C354E01DF8.jpeg   3E2D91D0-BA5F-4DE0-B07C-A5FBDC57DB54.jpeg  
Old 22 Sep 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3929365)   #64
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Damp this morning, and CER2 teams had a dilemma- slicks or wets? The TOJ started on slicks and struggled for a while, but then as the track dried they became the tyre of choice....

The BBLM came in and swapped in the pit lane. That car is huge, it hardly fits the tents!
Good decision I think as it was in the top 5 in quali. Cheers for the pics again. Although I think I've found something better.

Onboard of the Sauber C8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elQ41q8LcCo and if that wasn't enough, on to the main event.

and the Red Ferrari 512 S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtttQgxTLQ
Old 22 Sep 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3929375)   #65
Willmaz223
Veteran

917 already in the lead (the gulf one)

512s running well in 7th.

Must be a brilliant site seeing them all at the front .

Not sure how conditions are.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3929381)   #66
Willmaz223
Veteran

Unfortunately the Howmet retired but this onboard. Great to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaaBU1zcls.

and also day 2 highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AptxQZwARcA
Old 22 Sep 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3929404)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So 8th o/a and Class 2nd for the B19! After disappointments of last two days, a good boost for everyone. The track was dry, BTW. As observed here, Monza is T70 City, so not surprising to see them filling all 3 podium places. The Gulf 917 was leading, but stopped on track for some reason, then continued. The 512 had a pit stop for something as well. The Howmet stopped on track very soon after the start.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 05:13 (Ref:3929581)   #68
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Pity you can’t see the two rev counters (compressor and power turbines) in the Howmet clearly in the on-board. The gauges go to 50k rpm on the first scale, then from 50k to 100k on the second revolution of the needles! Fascinating to watch. Drive is controlled by a wastegate between the two turbines- no mechanical connection, and no gearbox- except for reduction gearing, obviously!

Last couple of pics. Nice Supra and a box of touring cars....
Attached Thumbnails
79771EA5-15D1-4EC5-9B32-D3F572F2625F.jpeg   CCCBAE98-7FE4-460F-AD7A-0E74B3B215A1.jpeg  
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3929605)   #69
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Pity you can’t see the two rev counters (compressor and power turbines) in the Howmet clearly in the on-board. The gauges go to 50k rpm on the first scale, then from 50k to 100k on the second revolution of the needles! Fascinating to watch. Drive is controlled by a wastegate between the two turbines- no mechanical connection, and no gearbox- except for reduction gearing, obviously!

Last couple of pics. Nice Supra and a box of touring cars....
Although the most impressive thing I saw was he had one hand.

My brother will like that pic of the Supra (he's obsessed ).
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3929621)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Although the most impressive thing I saw was he had one hand.

My brother will like that pic of the Supra (he's obsessed ).
Not sure the Supra spec but it’s a nice looking car. I have a weakness for the Corvette but they have silenced it too much. You can hardly hear it!

Goodwood ‘5 coolest cars at Monza’ includes the SLR, but includes a pic of the GREEN one! What a load of ***** they are...... At least they couldn’t get the Howmet pic wrong.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3929637)   #71
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Not sure the Supra spec but it’s a nice looking car. I have a weakness for the Corvette but they have silenced it too much. You can hardly hear it!

Goodwood ‘5 coolest cars at Monza’ includes the SLR, but includes a pic of the GREEN one! What a load of ***** they are...... At least they couldn’t get the Howmet pic wrong.
Blooming Silencers. Worst one is the older Aston martin V12 GT3.

The different is quite staggering really. They had one silenced and unsilenced at the Oldtimer GP and it was quite surreal plus frustrating hearing them both and the difference.
Old 25 Sep 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3930104)   #72
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nice pic in the PA Monza report photo gallery of the red car in Qually. Can’t link to it so here’s a screen print....
Attached Thumbnails
0E04AD31-13A9-4B81-AC67-484169E1E5E7.jpeg  
Old 25 Sep 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3930112)   #73
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Nice pic in the PA Monza report photo gallery of the red car in Qually. Can’t link to it so here’s a screen print....
I inagine the Cobras going to try and get a tow down the straight .

Hope it will be doing that come Friday.

Goodwood have done some good vids. One pic was of the CER 1 start. Absoulutely magical.

Any entries for Paul Ricard anyway? Know its a bit early.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3931683)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Sadly looks like the red car may not make the race. Started losing oil from front of the engine, and then when firing up again in pit lane, no oil pressure......

Nothing found so far, but worst case scenario is No 1 main bearing. More investigation in morn, but we’re now just finishing off superb pizzas and beer!
Well, the informed opinion was spot on - this is front main bearing......
Attached Thumbnails
D14CBD84-ED0B-45BA-B761-F9880C281CEE.jpeg  
Old 3 Oct 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3931695)   #75
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well, the informed opinion was spot on - this is front main bearing......
Ouch.... the two piece main bearing cap was never a success!
Lucky to have saved the crank (if you did) and worse.