Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3947104)   #6176
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There’s an awful lot of replica Xmas trees about.... Buyer beware!
Not all of them very good - such as in Trafalgar Square!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3947112)   #6177
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And back to "admirable" Nelson!
Dont you like the bleu color John? So French!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3947115)   #6178
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
And back to "admirable" Nelson!
Dont you like the bleu color John? So French!
And very British too!

Never forget that Admiral Horatio Nelson is a Norfolk man too, just like me (and Mike)!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3947126)   #6179
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Anyone that is interested in the old Spa circuit (that you can still drive as it is normal road), on the F1 forum there are a couple of interesting videos. First from 1962, Lucien Bianchi in a DB4 Zagato describing the circuit as he drives round.... (Post 17 in the thread)

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...44#post3946944
Brilliant piece of footage, thanks, Mike
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3947146)   #6180
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Not Shabby agreed but hardly BRDC qualifying performance is it.
I suspect "wealthy son of a plantation owner" was more to do with it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Dec 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3947147)   #6181
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Cynic!

Just read the Autocar ‘road test’ of the JCB WFT (World’s fastest tractor). What they didn’t let on in the TV prog is that they built two Fastracs- the second that raised the record again was completely new and further developed.....

When the mag drove it the power was reduced to only 500 bhp, as after the record runs the prop shaft was found to be suffering from the massive 1770 lbft torque.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3947156)   #6182
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Max, . You really do have it in for Mac Fraser for some reason, I am sure if you look at the list of BRDC members there would be quite a few one would question.

Now what is your gripe with the man, his drive to sixth in the BRM was pretty spectacular if I recall aright, before the engine blew.

Were you turned down for membership?
Old 17 Dec 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3947159)   #6183
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Max, I am sure if you look at the list of BRDC members there would be quite a few one would question.
To be put forward for membership and then turned down would be more than most of us could ever dream of......

And yes, I’m sure like any ‘Member’s Club’, questions could be asked on the qualification of a percentage!
Old 17 Dec 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3947173)   #6184
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
To be put forward for membership and then turned down would be more than most of us could ever dream of......

And yes, I’m sure like any ‘Member’s Club’, questions could be asked on the qualification of a percentage!

Might there have been a fairly high turnover rate back then?

Perhaps regular vacancies and a need to keep up the head count?
Old 17 Dec 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3947237)   #6185
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Max, . You really do have it in for Mac Fraser for some reason, I am sure if you look at the list of BRDC members there would be quite a few one would question.

Now what is your gripe with the man, his drive to sixth in the BRM was pretty spectacular if I recall aright, before the engine blew.

Eh? What makes you think I've a gripe with him? I'd never heard of the bloke until I read this thread.

I'm just a realist, been around racing too long.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3947240)   #6186
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Eh? What makes you think I've a gripe with him? I'd never heard of the bloke until I read this thread.

I'm just a realist, been around racing too long.
Actually it was another Bauble Blunder, I assumed that because of the nature of the content, it was RBS still casting doubts, and the post was aimed at him, before I noticed that it was not him at all, so I had to do a quick edit, and blamed you.

I can only say sorry to you both, and plead temporary insanity.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3947250)   #6187
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Talking of blunders . I’ve got a quiet evening out in workshop at home . Timing up one of the Toyota F3 engines and I dropped washer . After 30 min fishing with magnet I gave up and took the sump back off. Would you believe it this large washer even went under windrige tray . No way that was coming out with magnet . Time to go for walk with Delta dog Mylo .
Old 17 Dec 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3947252)   #6188
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just over 7 days to go so I shall start with Happy Christmas everyone .
Old 17 Dec 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3947256)   #6189
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Near miss of a LMP3 leaving the pits and then spinning into the middle of the track at Paul Ricard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4Zl0QAPp8

I dare imagine what could have imagined to oncoming cars and the stationary one
Old 17 Dec 2019, 22:35 (Ref:3947260)   #6190
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A

I can only say sorry to you both, and plead temporary insanity.
These days I tend to go with permanent insanity Bob. I find that it's useful for building up a reliable and believable excuse and, hopefully, a long term free pass permit that will stop people bothering to question my sanity at every and any opportunity.

Well, one person in particular ... others may follow of course.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 05:38 (Ref:3947282)   #6191
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A certain Mr Grimshaw was invited, but turned the offer down. His reason being that the club no longer had the status it once had.
That was quite a while back now, I think he had a point.
One thing in my time at Silverstone that was noticeable was the amount of ARDS licences being dished out, to members sons and daughters after maybe one or two race wins. It wasn't only me who walked away. 😉
Old 18 Dec 2019, 05:48 (Ref:3947283)   #6192
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Near miss of a LMP3 leaving the pits and then spinning into the middle of the track at Paul Ricard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4Zl0QAPp8

I dare imagine what could have imagined to oncoming cars and the stationary one
Would you believe the very same thing happened on a Nordschleife Trackday with a Radical! Cold slicks guy gave it a bootful and promptly spun across the track hitting the armco on the left. As you may know, the entry is around halfway along the Dottingehohe straight, depending on the car, we are usually nudging 300kph at this point 175mtrs from the Antoniusbrüche bridge. Fortunately there was no traffic at the time!!
Old 18 Dec 2019, 06:54 (Ref:3947287)   #6193
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
depending on the car, we are usually nudging 300kph at this point
I can't say terence, at this point during "tourist days" usually there's… a toll!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 05:30 (Ref:3947452)   #6194
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I can't say terence, at this point during "tourist days" usually there's… a toll!
Trackdays are much better Gerard. TF is sometimes a nightmare😉😉
Old 19 Dec 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3947499)   #6195
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sometimes Twitter just makes me laugh! https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/...917200896?s=20
Old 19 Dec 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3947500)   #6196
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...making it illegal to be Nicola Sturgeon in a public place.
Best idea this year!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3947515)   #6197
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
...making it illegal to be Nicola Sturgeon in a public place.
Best idea this year!
I will break the habit of a lifetime, and drink to that, Och aye!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3947518)   #6198
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Clever- well done whoever posted that!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3947543)   #6199
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sometimes Twitter just makes me laugh! https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/...917200896?s=20
Thanks for that Peter.... one spent an enjoyable hour or so reading it through!
Old 21 Dec 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3947904)   #6200
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
New Profile Picture

I thought it appropriate to change my profile picture. Sadly this is not my car, I am not driving it and I didn't even take the (excellent) picture, but it arrived today and I thought I should parade it on here for the festive season...
(Bugger, it hasn't worked!)