Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Dec 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1180614)   #51
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he went well in the test, I'm sure he'd consider it as an option. Does Bentwood have any plans? Presumably Vauxhall would have no direct involvement if Owy gets the drive. Silly question, but Andrew isn't related to James is he?

The VLR thing is interesting, but it would be great to see them back. Are Eaves and Buxton still under contract to them?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1180877)   #52
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Boots says, it would be great to have VLR back in the championship.

It would also be great to see Owy return, makes sense as he's driven the Astra before. What is the likelyhood of it having any further development though?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1181058)   #53
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrew Thompson is not related to James, no.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1181300)   #54
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Eaves could well still be tied up with VLR.

Agree about that Civic being a waste of time.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1186184)   #55
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see from today Motorsport News, that Martin Hines has said that he has lined up a works deal for young Luke, details to be confirmed at the Autosport Show. Work car that means either Vauxhall, Honda or Seat then.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1186208)   #56
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have Honda confirmed a works entry next year ? I only thought SEAT and Vauxhall were the confirmed works entries for next year.

A bit of a provisional list looks like this at the moment

VX Racing - Vauxhall Astra
Yvan Muller
Colin Turkington
Luke Hines?

SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
Jason Plato
James Pickford
Luke Hines?

Speed Equipe - Lexus IS200
Driver 1?
Driver 2

Team Dynamics - Honda Integra
Matt Neal
Dan Eaves?

Techspeed - Vauxhall Astra Coupe
Paul O'Neill?
Andrew Thompson?

I've left out WSR, as there seems to be little indication of what they could be up to next year, and several other teams, that we haven't really heard from over the winter.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1186229)   #57
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a bit scary isn't it.

The WTCC & DTM already have a 'hot' looking manufacturer and driver line-up, whilst the BTCC is so far confined to a completely new team running Seat's, and Vauxhall on the backfoot running new-shape Astra's - a new unknown team running a Super-2000 spec Lexus...and that's it!

After one of the greatest years from BTCC, especially compared to it's other 'world' rivals in 2004 - it's got a lot of catching up to do for 2005 already...and it's still 2004!
Old 23 Dec 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1186512)   #58
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have seen over on one of the MG forum's that Jason Hughes and Kartworld will be out with there MG again.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1186624)   #59
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
purely speculative but I think at the moment you could be looking at adding some of the following to the list to bulk up the field - Collard, Synchro, Kartworld, Mardi Gras, GA, Arena, Edenbridge and VLR

It may be none of the above appear and highly likely not all of them - but I' sure there will be new entries announced before the start of the season to add to the list
Old 23 Dec 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1186762)   #60
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WSR will only return with the MGs if the deal is right - or they could return with aq different make altogether.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1186890)   #61
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
It's a bit scary isn't it.

The WTCC & DTM already have a 'hot' looking manufacturer and driver line-up, whilst the BTCC is so far confined to a completely new team running Seat's, and Vauxhall on the backfoot running new-shape Astra's - a new unknown team running a Super-2000 spec Lexus...and that's it!

After one of the greatest years from BTCC, especially compared to it's other 'world' rivals in 2004 - it's got a lot of catching up to do for 2005 already...and it's still 2004!
I wouldn't be worried, Its not until a couple of months into the new year that anything becomes really clear for the new season in the BTCC. Take WSR's Entry in 2004... was a bit of a last minute affair, especially for Reid!

It was looking grim for 2004 at this time, and 2003 and 2002...
Old 23 Dec 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1187006)   #62
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt WSR would sell the cars unless a) tehy are certain of having something better to run for 2005, or b)they feel they have little hope of getting the funding together, or c)they want to keep one car and concentrate on running that with any available funding (I can't see Reid staying - he's an MG-contracted driver so is likely to do the DTM for them).

Kartworld, Collard and Synchro all seem likely to continue, and I'm sure Honda will at least continue to back Arena for one car from Chilton. Most of the other 2004 BTCC teams probably have irons in the fire as well. It probably will be a weaker and small field than 2004, but that doesn't mean it'll be dull.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1187032)   #63
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We're in a better postition than we were this time last season, and look what happened. Next years grid is likely to top the 2004 grid, in terms of quality and quantity.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1193668)   #64
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hines looks set for SEAT - which probably means that VX will go all out sign up a 3rd driver to try and defend the manufacturers title.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1193855)   #65
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vauxhall will have to put up the budget for the third car, unless there is a driver out there with his own sponsorship at least capable of rivalling Hines (Quite likely).

I notice Vauxhall still haven't sold the 2004 cars yet. Well, two of them.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1193857)   #66
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Vauxhall will have to put up the budget for the third car, unless there is a driver out there with his own sponsorship at least capable of rivalling Hines (Quite likely).
There are always drivers with a budget, the trouble is that they are not always the best - but would certainly match Luke Hines
Old 5 Jan 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1193877)   #67
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I am not sure about this one, I can see why Seat have for Hines a young gun with a bit of experience to back up Plato and support Pickford. IMO they have gone for the wrong man why not go for SWS, Richard Westbrook, Paul Rivett or even Gordon Shedden. But at the end of the day money talks..........

I have also just seen on another forum that Rob Collard has got hold of an ex-works MG now if that is ture then it is good news.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1193901)   #68
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Good news about Hines and Collard there - they're both good inclusions on the grid. The overall problem with how the grid looks isn't that so few cars are confirmed, it's that so many 2004 names are either confirmed elsewhere or struggling to find a budget. Thompson's gone, Huff's gone, Reid's probably gone with MG, and no-one really looks likely to come in, especially as there's no longer any sense in developing a BTCC-spec car. I can still see the racign being great next year, but the influx of stars to teh DTM coupled with the change in ETCC status does leave BTCC cars and stars thinner on the ground.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1193945)   #69
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new TV package should help.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1193958)   #70
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I know that there are not many cars confirmed, but I reckon there might somewhere in the region of 20 to 25 cars on the grid come Donington in April. I got board at work today and came up with this list of teams and drivers:-

VX Racing Vauxhall - Muller, Turkington, TBA
Seat - Plato, Pickford, Hines
Computeach Racing with Halfords Honda - Neal, Eaves
WSR MG - Reid, Leggate (please)
Arena Honda - Chilton, TBA
Speedequie Lexus - TBA x2
Synchro Motorsport Honda - Kaye
Kartworld MG - Hughes
Collard MG - Collard
GA Motorsport - TBA
Techspeed Vauxhall - O'Neil, Bentwood
TCR Vauxhall - Adam
VLR Peugeot 407 - TBA
Mardi Gras Peugeot 406 - George
"Varta" Honda - Batchelor

Now I make that 24 cars which I don't think is bad at all.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1193975)   #71
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peugeot 407 - that's a shock to me!? Was that in MN or something ?
Old 5 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1193983)   #72
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Not sure, I am sure I read something somewhere that VLR where looking to make a comeback this year with the 407 and I am sure that it said the car might powered by LPG, but I maybe wrong.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1193985)   #73
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Peugeot 407 - that's a shock to me!? Was that in MN or something ?
He means 307.

He's also not counted that Dynamics are running three cars, with Gareth Howell in the third.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1193996)   #74
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
He's also not counted that Dynamics are running three cars, with Gareth Howell in the third.
From what I understood they had only confirmed 2 cars, but if they do run 3 then thats even better news.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1194041)   #75
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
You're all optimists with the 25! But I like it.

Still, down here in Pessimania - I'm still expecting to see 2 Vauxhall's take on 3 Seat's at race one - with Farique Hairuman's Team Varta in 6th and last!