Wales
Stroud in Gloucestershire
GEOFF THOMAS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone - The New Plan

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

Rebel plan backed by Ecclestone
By Kevin Garside
(Filed: 13/04/2006)

Formula One commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone is at the centre of an initiative to redevelop Silverstone and guarantee the British Grand Prix for the next 10 years. The plan will be presented to the British Racing Drivers' Club on the same day this month that Damon Hill is expected to be elected the BRDC president.

[snip] Please do not post entire articles. Just quote the bits you think are relevant. See FAQ. Thanks. [/snip]

A new, smaller board would then be formed, possibly led by Ray Bellm, the former chairman who lost out to Stewart in a power struggle a year ago, and assisted by the incoming Hill in his new role as president, the dream ticket for rebels seeking a change of direction at the home of British motor sport.

See Today's Autosport for more details,

Geoff Thomas.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Apr 2006 at 10:16.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1580071)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
That seems like a promising proposal.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1580130)   #3
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. Better than the housing estate idea. Well, if this one works, atleast we know that it will be on the calendar alot longer
Old 13 Apr 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1580151)   #4
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, a far more realistic and promising proposal. One that also seems like it wont interfere with the calendar a great deal, allowing the circuit to still run effectively during any construction time. Good one Bernie i say.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1580161)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much better plan, liking it. Especially seeing as it doesn't involve housing....
Old 13 Apr 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1580484)   #6
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's time the BRDC stopped it's infighting and pulled it's finger out.

If that means going into partnership with Berie Ecclestone, then so be it. And lets face it, there are many worse things they could do, many of which they have already explored.

Having Bernie properly involved would be a bonus.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1580517)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there going to build an oval at silverstone! see the my tracks forum for the thread on this.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1580524)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can remember three 'deals' offered in the past, to the BRDC by Eccleston but I cannot remember one he acted upon.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1580536)   #9
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
there going to build an oval at silverstone! see the my tracks forum for the thread on this.
There isn't a "my tracks" forum.

Where are you on about?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1580537)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My Tracks
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1580655)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I the only person who thinks it's wrong that the person with the clout to make sure that a circuit get's a GP is also doing deals to make money out of them?

Part of the problem the BRDC have is that they have no long term guarantee of a GP, why would they spend x million quid on circuit upgrades if they have no guarantee of any income from those upgrades? So they get offered a guaranteed GP for ten years if they do a deal....

Sorry, it's just not right.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1580714)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'san ou'rage oi tell yer
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1580721)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
'san ou'rage oi tell yer
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Old 13 Apr 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1580755)   #14
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Part of the problem the BRDC have is that they have no long term guarantee of a GP, why would they spend x million quid on circuit upgrades if they have no guarantee of any income from those upgrades? So they get offered a guaranteed GP for ten years if they do a deal....

Sorry, it's just not right.
I think the prospect of Silverstone losing the GP is a huge smoke screen. As long as there's a British GP then Silverstone will have it. Check out the interview with Jonathan Palmer in Autosport the other week and he says he has no interest in trying to bring F1 to Brands Hatch as the change's they'd need to make to the venue are not worth the hassle.

So the question remains who is the competition to Silverstone for the British GP? Answer = Apart from a mythical "London GP" there isn't one as even Donington would need more than just a new pitlane! So the only apparent danger is for Britain to lose the GP altogether, and this IMO is a non-starter for Bernie as it would bring a massive backlash from the fans and not forgeting THE TEAMS, so would equally for Bernie not be worth the hassle.

So IMO, Bernie has no choice but to offer the British GP to Silverstone for 10 years anyway. And let's face it Bernies no "spring chicken" and he's not going to be around forever so I think Bernie ought to grasp this opportunity to use some of his vast wealth (which he can't take with him) to leave a lasting legacy for British Motorsport fans.

And who knows, in years to come he may even get a statue erected in his honour!

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 13 Apr 2006 at 21:38.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1582371)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least a statue of Bernie would not cost very much.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1582386)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
So IMO, Bernie has no choice but to offer the British GP to Silverstone for 10 years anyway.
If he wants to keep it here that long....!
Old 15 Apr 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1582868)   #17
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its great silverstone is being devolped....
Hopefully it may bring out some more talent from great britian
Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1583002)   #18
ANT1...
Rookie

England
Medway, North Kent
ANT1... should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Having read the proposals in the Autosport magazine, i think that none of the proposals can go wrong if the right planning and preparation etc etc goes ahead.

Hope it all goes well and Silverstone thrives long into the future!