Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2415968)   #26
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without knowing anything, I would suspect a lack of cash from Creation...?
Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2415982)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
Don't see how that is possible. As mentioned before direct injection can add about 20 horsepower, but the other power gains can only come with more RPM and the restrictors take care of that. In road cars variable valve timing can add extra horsepower but I don't think it's as effective on a high rev engine. Don't think it's allowed for prototype engines either.
It can't be that simple as WRC cars have gained 40bhp+ using the same restrictors and similar revs, due to gradual improvements. This is using a production block with far more design restrictions than P1 where, if you so wished, you could have a clean sheet design each year.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2415988)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Both Judd and AER have stated they are investigating direct injection, but my guess is they don't have the funding necessary to complete the R&D. Whenever there is a statement about DI, they mention a partner. So if one of the Judd customers stepped up and provided the cash(not likely in these financial times) we'd probably see other DI engines.
dh
Porsche used more resources to develop DI than the original engine according to a Racecar Engineering article.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AER Mazda has DI in it's 2011 P1 configuration, as all resources will now be focused on this engine, same goes for Judd if they wish to remain competitive.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2416066)   #29
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how much Mazda commit to a motorsport development programme, until this season i have not been particularly convinced they are putting the required cash and development behind the P programme.....lets hope Dyson can apply pressure for further development.

A major manufacturer probably could raise power each season, given the same restrictor, 20bhp sounds a bit much to me though maybe nearer 10-15 at the most though. Problem is that outside Audi, Porsche and Pug nobody has the cash to improve their engine.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2416103)   #30
JAG
Veteran

England
There's also the Mazda France backed Pescarolo's and RML Lola.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 23:49 (Ref:2416320)   #31
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a lot you can do with engine mapping to try to mitigate the effects of the air restrictors. I'd imagine that is even more the case when you have a turbocharged engine, such as in the WRC.

It never ceases to amaze me how much power is extracted from these air restricted engines, compared to a few years ago. Todays GT1 cars are running much smaller air restrictors than back in the original GT1 days (McLarens, Panoz, CLKs, etc) but they really aren't that far behind on power now. I keep having to remind myself that they are essentially what used to be GT2.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2416470)   #32
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
good morning peeps, I have been reading the comments here with interest and thought I'd write a few points of note

Its quite an open fact, even stated by Zytek themselves that the 4.0 V8 is a running circa 620bhp in 2007, I'd imagine that will raise to about 630 in its 4.5 litre format, the torque is very low, hence they are exploiting hybrids to assist, the reason you use a Zytek engine instead of say a Judd is its lower weight, its certainly the better engine for the ALMS.......but seems a bit stretched for the faster European races.

WRC engines are running circa 350bhp, but nobody ever realises this is with over 600NM of torque, this is principally achieved by running very high compression rations (circa 12-13:1) but with very sophisticated detonation sensing and control equipment and software, also the last time I was dabbling with one theWRC engines are NOT boost limited, just restrictor limited, hence they run LOTS of boost

To myknowledge the Judd AIM engine is a conventional port fuelled engine, not DI......I think (TBC) the latest AER LMP2 mazda engine is DI.

Whe Audi adopted DI on the R8 they stated no appreciable power gain but got an extra lap at leMans......but things have moved on since then......the Porsche LMP2 DI engine made 5% more than its port fuelled brother, but they stated to race engine magazine the benefits are not just power related, they state better combustion control, better traction control, lower fuel in oil, better fuel economy.

hope that helps
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2416761)   #33
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post

hope that helps
Sure does, thank you!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2416803)   #34
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Better combustion control then means you can exploit timing agressively will still maintaining an acceptable risk on the detonation front, right?

Does DI offer anything specifically related to a benifit on a restricted engine?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2416849)   #35
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Better combustion control then means you can exploit timing agressively will still maintaining an acceptable risk on the detonation front, right?

Does DI offer anything specifically related to a benifit on a restricted engine?
In an article about last year's new Judd DB engine, Judd talked about how the Porsche engine can rev several hundred rpm higher than the XV675 before shifting. Not max rpm mind you, but the hp/torque did not fall off as soon as it did with his engine. The whole purpose of the DB engine was to extend his power curve enough so drivers could also wait that little bit longer before shifting. The DB though, seems to have had a rough year reliability wise though.

However, I don't know if the DFI engine was used in Europe last year. I know that when the Horag Porsche was offered for Rent this season the add listed specs for the older engine.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2416902)   #36
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was not, as far as I know. Certainly not by Essex or Horag, and I'm pretty sure VM did not have one either - it was not publicized at all if they did. Given the early ending to the LMS and the late date Dyson got theirs, I have to figure that they did not.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2417191)   #37
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

correct - its pretty much standard practice on most road and some high level race engines.......it allows you to run just close to the edge of detonation, just to squeeze out that last bit of power in a safe and non destructive manner. This was a major factor in the success of the GM Katech GT1 engines. as the 2 valve heads are very prone to detonation.

I think its safe to say that DI offers gains to any engine, restricted or not.......there are two different ways of doing it known as stratified or homogeneous, stratified means a vertical injector close to the spark plug which runs the engine VERY lean.......or Homogeneous which is a more horizontal injector position and gives a more uniform spread of the fuel spray......all motorsport systems are a homogeneous/horizontal layout.........stratified is more for raod cars that drive around low/mid rpms

hope that makes sense
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2417535)   #38
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
correct - its pretty much standard practice on most road and some high level race engines.......it allows you to run just close to the edge of detonation, just to squeeze out that last bit of power in a safe and non destructive manner. This was a major factor in the success of the GM Katech GT1 engines. as the 2 valve heads are very prone to detonation.

I think its safe to say that DI offers gains to any engine, restricted or not.......there are two different ways of doing it known as stratified or homogeneous, stratified means a vertical injector close to the spark plug which runs the engine VERY lean.......or Homogeneous which is a more horizontal injector position and gives a more uniform spread of the fuel spray......all motorsport systems are a homogeneous/horizontal layout.........stratified is more for raod cars that drive around low/mid rpms

hope that makes sense
So, theoretically, the best combustion configuration is a Hemi with homogeneous injection? Per se.

L.P.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2417539)   #39
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
However, I don't know if the DFI engine was used in Europe last year. I know that when the Horag Porsche was offered for Rent this season the add listed specs for the older engine.
It was not.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2417564)   #40
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
It was not.
What about this season at LM? Will the DFI engine be made available or are they stuck with the previous version?
dh
Old 17 Mar 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2417599)   #41
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I am told, that both cars will be updated to full 2009 specs, including the DI lump.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 01:48 (Ref:2417953)   #42
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

hope that makes sense
Indeed it does make sense.

Question, with a restrictor and DI, is an advantage seen in that you are moving more air into chamber because it does not contain fuel, thus increase in air volume?

I know from reading a Racecar Engineering a few years ago on the Elan engine, they were having issues as they approached choke point. I guess at that point the air is very disturbed and you have volume compremise, so does DI enhance the volume that wee bit more, maintaining tuneability and driveability at peak level? Or is it only control enhancement against the detonation threshold that is occuring that offers the power enhancements?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2418152)   #43
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Indeed it does make sense.

Question, with a restrictor and DI, is an advantage seen in that you are moving more air into chamber because it does not contain fuel, thus increase in air volume?

I know from reading a Racecar Engineering a few years ago on the Elan engine, they were having issues as they approached choke point. I guess at that point the air is very disturbed and you have volume compremise, so does DI enhance the volume that wee bit more, maintaining tuneability and driveability at peak level? Or is it only control enhancement against the detonation threshold that is occuring that offers the power enhancements?
My feeling is tha amount of fuel in the air is minimal, so no great gain in volumetric efficiency.

DI does not enhance the volumetric efficiency of an engine.......I'm pretty sure the power increase comes via a greater increase in cylinder pressure........a cylinder pressure trace is oftern termed a bell-curve, as it rises and drops quite abruptly, in the shape of a bell........all you have to do is increase the area under that curve via making the bell wider or taller, or both........more area under the cylinder pressure curve = more power........also with a DI system bear in mind you are now injecting fuel independent of what the valves are doing.......so you can then exploit things like pre and post injection to ensure a complete/increased burn of the main charge........you just cant do that on a port fuelled injected (PFI) engine, as the valves will be shut!

Just to clarify, the Corvette GT1 is a conventional PFI engine, I was only referring to it because its renowned for having a very complex but effective Bosch detonation sensing system.......its not DI......sorry for any confusion
Old 18 Mar 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2418233)   #44
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Strange, I remember Corvette talking about their 2008 LM engine, as being a DI engine?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2418238)   #45
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Ok, cool. As I was driving to work I was thinking about this and it dawned on me that downstream of the restrictor you already have the disturbed and limited mixture.

So, with direct injection you can fling in the fuel independent of the air flow from the valves and you can totally control the mixture for engine load, rpm, etc, totally indepedent of what air flow is doing. You by pass the physical limitations of the air flow (I do understand that you have to maintain favorable mixtures in the chamber, but you have far more control in exploiting those mixtures).

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for your time with this, I look forward to your posts and I end up gaining knowledge each time. You have a gift for teaching.

Robert
Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2418311)   #46
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
Strange, I remember Corvette talking about their 2008 LM engine, as being a DI engine?
skycafe - glad to be of service!

Aslak Vind - you could well be correct........since about 2006 GM have had DI on production engines, so it wouldnt surprise me that the GT1 has already been using it........man thats a great engine, shame it will never be seen in an LMP1 car, I desperatley wanted that to happen.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2418319)   #47
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I think Jan mentioned it some time ago, making the Vette go longer on each stint compared with the DBR9.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2418412)   #48
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would DI have a cooling effect on the compressed charge that port injection would not, leading to a small volumetric efficiency gain ?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2418533)   #49
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvettes don't have DI, so I don't think the GT1 Corvettes have it either, but then again that engine is not very similar to the ZR6 engine.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2418579)   #50
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Do any direct injection engines have variable spray pattern nozzel?