Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2004, 02:23 (Ref:1121735)   #1
xterra48
Rookie

xterra48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One Revolution

on Speed coverage of Japanese Grand Prix the commentators mentioned the appallingly low percentage of the money that the teams get, compared with the large cancer known as FOM with you know who at the helm. Bernie has also removed the British Grand Prix from the schedule, and there has even been talk of removing other great tracks from the F1 schedule because their “facilities” arn’t up to the standard (the incredible luxury of china, what ever happened to racing at great tracks not piffling squabbles). Anyway for the reasons sated here and otherwise widely held, I think it would be beneficial to the teams and the sport if Bernie and FOM (and nessicarilly FIA) were ousted. The teams should stage a communist like revolution, (take the power and money from the monarch and put in the hands of the people). The teams could all drop out of F1 and start a replica independent series with some new name and sanctioning body controlled by the teams. Then the teams (principals investors and drivers) would have power to do what is best, their decisions couldn’t be worse than some of the recent decision we have seem. The only reasons I can’t see this happening would bee its radical nature, and some insean contract that the teams are bound to the FIA with. Does the FIA have long term agreements with the teams (they could wait till the contracts expire), does the FIA have some agreement over the tracks. Any way I think this is the best way to save F1 as I know it. What do you think.

PS- one last benefit the teams would institute cost cutting measures quickly and effectively since they will have the need to cut costs, just think jag, min, jord, and sau voting as a block .
Old 12 Oct 2004, 03:16 (Ref:1121745)   #2
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A radical theory, but probably necessary. I doubt FOM will change of their own volition. The Concord Agreement expires is a couple years, so the time to begin a "re-think" is now. A revolution prior to the expiration would probably be as destructive as the CART/IRL split; because for sure Bernie would claim that HE was the "real" F1 and that the mutineers were illegit.

Remember how well a coalition of team owners worked at CART (not !) Money and power corrupted the buisness plan.

Because of the hard decisions which must be made to keep the series competitive, a series overseer (removed from the politic$) is probably a good idea. A benign despot however: not the current despot.

OK 10/10th'ers : how would YOU do it ?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 07:00 (Ref:1121809)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We need to wait until the Concorde agreement expires befoe any significant changes will be seen. The main problem up to now is that any change at all requires total agreement from all parties, which is more or less impossible - hence the very slow progress.

There is no doubt that BE occupy's a pretty unique position in taking the majority of the revenue of an entire sport, however most of the paddock wouldn't be where they are today without him, which maintains allegiances.

On the contracts front BE/FOM has the contracts with all the circuits, and BE merely buys the rights to hold F1 from the FIA (IIRC). The amount paid for this has always raised a few eyebrows, but then again every man and his dog has at some point investigated BE's 'hold' on F1, even the EU monopolies commisioner wasn't able to lay a glove on him.

As for the teams being left to their own devices (post a coup) to run the ship, this would not work either as all the vested interests would come to the fore, on the subject of cost cutting I can't see this would happen quickly as the teams cannot agree on what methods (if any) to use.

In the final analysis, you cannot have the entrants running the event which is, in effect, what we have now. Although the FIA regulates F1, the entrants have to agree the regulations in advance with the FIA having limited powers to force change on issues like 'safety grounds', but even now the teams cannot agree if aero, tyres or engine capacity need to be reduced on on those grounds.

So you need a figurehead, or ring master as BE has often been called, to move and shake and be a roving 'fixer'.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1121834)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you make a break from the FIA you would be asking the circuits to go with you and that would then exclude them from running plenty of other series. Given that the circuits claim to make not much money from hosting a GP (though with FOM out of the equation that could change) I cant see them being bold enough
Old 12 Oct 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1121938)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manufacturers running their own series would be disastrous.

Teams running their own series would be almost as disastrous.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1122043)   #6
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting post.
I have asked before re BE...how can one individual "own" a sport?
I would love to see him deposed (family show).
However I have to agree with PaulSands on what other events could circuits hold if F1 peeled away from current status?
First Formula anyone?

In think the whole thing with FIA, FOM, BE, The Teams and the Manufacturers is massively complex...but it does sound good if F1 by whatever name could have a complete fresh start. Unfortunately I doubt it will happen...but don't quote me.
Probably the best we could hope for is getting BE out.

Cheers
Peter
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1124282)   #7
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem I forsee with a greater percentage of the 'pie' being given to the teams is that surely this adds to increasing costs.

Teams earn more revenue, and hence have more disposable income, and as teams will spend what they have, surely this will raise costs again.

Although I will admit that this issue alone is not just reason to keep the percentages as they are.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1124339)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately it's 'Greek meets Greek' in that the manufacturers now want a bigger slice of F1, when there original intention was too race in F1 to promote their brand, now they want more revenue from F1 to continue doing this.

With Bernie, he will stick to his guns on the basis that car makers enter F1 to shift metal out of the showroom and why should he pay Honda/Toyota/BMW etc, more money to help them sell cars.

His hand is stronger now that the already unlikely GPWC, is effectively dead in the water now that Ford have pulled out (therefore pouring fuel on the FIA's argument that car makers are not to be trusted with the stewardship of F1) and Reanult are rumoured to be canning F1 after 2005, on arrival of their new CEO who (allegedly) thinks F1 is not value for money.

Whenever the manufacturers 'gang up' on BE one of them always drops a clanger, leaving BE with the upper hand, but then again its often said that you could fit all the people who have put one over on BE, into a phonebox and still have plenty of room....