Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 11 Oct 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3150035)   #1
Connor99
Rookie

Connor99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Becoming A Race Technician ?

Hi guys im just about to start college and i have chosen to do Motorsport vehicle maintenance and repair , will this help me become a race mechanic or race technician ? Thanks
Old 11 Oct 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3150167)   #2
Ex User
Rookie

Ex User should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor99 View Post
Hi guys im just about to start college and i have chosen to do Motorsport vehicle maintenance and repair , will this help me become a race mechanic or race technician ? Thanks
I nearly went on a motorsport college course but chose not to but im some ways i wish i did. In my opinion yes getting qualifications will help you get a job but I think no qualifications will ever beat experience. I think to do is get as much hands on experience as possible. I have worked full time with my dad for about 5-6 years now and worked on a lot of different race cars and bikes everything from karts through to f1, motocross to superbikes and some of things i have learnt i dont think i would have ever learnt at college but on the other hand i do still think college courses are a good idea, plus they look good on your cv. If you have time while studying i would ask a local team or a clubman racer if they need any help at weekend race meetings i doubt you will get payed but its all about the experience plus your are making good contacts all at the same time and you can take what you learn at the track and use it at college.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 05:43 (Ref:3150255)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The course you've chosen, if its similar to the motorsport course i did will help you because it will give you a good level of mechanical knowledge, should also cover basic engineering and electronics as well as giving you a decent amount of workshop time. However as H Dolphin said nothing beats experience and unless you supplement the course with some form of work experience within a motorsport team (professional or clubman) then the course and qualification alone will make it very difficult to get any sort of work within motorsport because most employers looking to recruit technicians want people with experience and because working within motorsport is a very desirable job there are plenty of people going for every job.

One thing i will say to you and its not to smash your dreams that im saying this but make sure you have a backup plan if you are struggling to find a job in motorsport once you finish college because there are very few full time jobs around these days and most of the mechanics employed are season long/race weekend only contracts. I didn't even think about it and now im stuck doing a job that i hate during the week and working motorsport at the weekends.

The important thing is never pass up an opportunity to gain experience, dont be afraid to ask questions however stupid they sound and be nice to EVERYONE, contacts and experience will get you more work than qualifications.

Good Luck!
Old 12 Oct 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3150293)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Can't add much more to what has been said.

The course will give you a good grounding in the art, and the unnecessary letters next to your name to command a salary/wage in the future.

The key is experience and contacts. Both work hand in hand. 80% of jobs in motorsport come about through word of mouth and personal recommendation. So, get yourself out there, have a can-do attitude, volunteer your services at all sorts of events/teams to supplement your studies and you should get a good start.

All the best.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3152446)   #5
Connor99
Rookie

Connor99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Guys you've helped so much. Im gonna get to grips with the basic mechanics in motorsport then get experience. If i know the basics it will help me a great deal. Also if i dont get a job in motorsport then ill just have to become a normal technician or mechanic.
Thanks again for your help
Old 16 Oct 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3152751)   #6
Ex User
Rookie

Ex User should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem. good luck with college

remember never be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly it may seem.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3190374)   #7
alfredstalone23
Rookie

alfredstalone23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodluck to you.. Successful car racing was also credit to the race technicians.