Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Jun 2002, 12:43 (Ref:323555)   #51
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I guess he is rescuing a muppet...
Old 29 Jun 2002, 14:33 (Ref:324238)   #52
stevie.murray
Rookie

stevie.murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meet carl when he was still a kart racer nice to here he has'nt changed his views of us marshals He always waved at the end of every race.A very nice man one in a million.
Next time you speak to him,tell him Stevie Murray said hi!..be safe..
Old 29 Jun 2002, 19:50 (Ref:324320)   #53
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stevie, it's nice to hear that he can be nice and that you have seen his good side, but I have to say that he didn't wave to me as he abandoned his still-in-gear, gravel-bound car while I was asking him to return.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:19 (Ref:324323)   #54
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say i think you guys are a bit out of order calling Carl names when most of you hardly know him. Hes a really nice guy and has respect for marshalls, you must undrestand the guy has landed in the gravel, he has the famous red mist clouding him, the last thing hes going to do is be polite!!
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:31 (Ref:324327)   #55
wickedwitch
Racer

I have experience of drivers with "red mist" and how they behave, however most do not abandon car while still in gear and ignore marshals calling them back and not return when this has obviously delayed proceedings as a person with other duties to perform must take time out to steer car while being towed. I think it's out of order for a relation to this driver (Arsenal) to come onto this forum announcing that the guy has such respect for marshals merely in a transparent effort to promote him.
If claims are going to be made & he doesn't live up to them then obviously there is going to be a backlash. IMO he set himself up for this and I (being one of the injured parties) need feel no guilt at all for saying exactly what I think.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:33 (Ref:324328)   #56
wickedwitch
Racer

BTW pitpopsie, I'm sorry if the above sounds a bit harsh - it's not directed at you but merely the cynical self-promotion effort. I guess I hate to see someone using a good forum for such cynical reasons.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:35 (Ref:324329)   #57
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
oohhhh someones pants are in a knot! I KNOW him and am nothing to do with his promotion or anything like that I know him as a mate and Ive worked with him.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:43 (Ref:324331)   #58
wickedwitch
Racer

I never said that you were a part of his promotion - however I did say that Arsenal was & I stand by that statement.
I understand that his being a friend of yours makes you want to defend him and that's a good thing. You obviously have seen a side to him that he didn't display last Sunday and I realise that according to your recommendations and recommendations from others on this forum that he's probably a nice guy most of the time. But surely you can't condone his actions on this particular occasion.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:48 (Ref:324333)   #59
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
I suppose he must have been having a bad day, please trust me though, hes a good person and im sure he didnt mean to be rude.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:51 (Ref:324335)   #60
wickedwitch
Racer

Understood pitpopsie
Old 29 Jun 2002, 21:07 (Ref:324341)   #61
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I promise next time I see him I will mention the above. he's not usually rude probably stressed. And no i'm not a relative either just someone who's followed his career the last few years, from his home town, and also a marshal.
Could we possibly consider this closed now, I think Carl has been bashed enough now for his mistake and I will mention it to him.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 10:27 (Ref:324503)   #62
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
Good call! xx
Old 1 Jul 2002, 07:51 (Ref:324911)   #63
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by pitpopsie
I must say i think you guys are a bit out of order calling Carl names when most of you hardly know him. Hes a really nice guy and has respect for marshalls, you must undrestand the guy has landed in the gravel, he has the famous red mist clouding him, the last thing hes going to do is be polite!!
pitpopsie, everyone is entitled to their opinion based on what they've experienced - if you want to set them straight based on your own experience then fine - but please don't a) give people grief for their opinions and b) excuse someone's bad behaviour based on "red mist".

The next question is nothing to do with Mr. Breeze, but is meant as a general observation and a genuine question - please take it as such.

If a marshal decided to have a "red mist" moment it would certainly not be excused, so why should it be excused for a driver?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 08:03 (Ref:324924)   #64
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst what you say is very true, everyone does make mistakes. A few years back a very well known hillclimb driver had a 'red mist' moment when a pheasant ran out in front of his cars (although to be fair he still did what the marshal's on post told him too). Since then i got to know him much better and he is one of the nicest drivers i know as well as being one of the few drivers to say thank you to us peasants after an incident and at the end of the meeting. 'Red mist' isn't an excuse but bear in mind you might have caught a driver at a bad moment. Still there should be someway this could be brought to organisers attention so he can be disiplined for it, not that half the organisers would care.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 08:32 (Ref:324950)   #65
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Understood icklimp - and as I said, I'm not referring to this one specific incident but in general - I've recently heard "red mist" being used to excuse a number of things including some very dangerous driving.

Why is is that one driver who comes off in a race will hurl abuse at you, the spectators, the car etc. and storm off and never apologise - and another driver in the same race - who's been doing considerably better until they come off - is very nice about it. Surely if one can do it, the other can as well?

At what point do we stop excusing bad behaviour (of any kind - again, this is GENERAL not directed at any driver) because of "red mist". If you get a red mist in any other form of sport and break the rules as a result, you get penalised - why is motorsport different? Hell you can't even get away with it in real life. Drive up someone's backside as a result of roadrage and then try to play the "red mist" card in court and see how far it gets you.

The fact of the matter is that no matter how wound up someone is, there are certain rules of acceptable behaviour. Drivers have to adhere to them when they're not on the racetrack so how is it some of them are incapable of doing so when they're ON the racetrack?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 09:38 (Ref:324978)   #66
icklimp
Racer

England
i've been fortunate in that when i've had a problem with abusive drivers/muppets i've been able to talk to the clerk of the course who has in turn disiplined the driver and made it clear if it happens again they will be excluded from the meeting or following meetings, both times i've done this have been small club meetings. the problem is at the larger events when you have no immediate recourse to an authority figure who is in a position to do something about it, this is something we should try and address because at the end of the day your neck is on the line for whichever idiot decides he/she wants to shout and yell because they were unable to control their car. the trouble is how do you make the organiser's do something about it, any ideas?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 09:44 (Ref:324981)   #67
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
EP, nice to see you! Well I sure got you going on that didnt I!

I dont like my FRIENDS being reffered to as: "what an utter ******"(Craig Antill) "Little Pratt" (craig Antill) and "****" (evilpumpkin).

you actually give marshals a bad name! No wonder drivers dont respect you when you talk about them in such ways!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 11:42 (Ref:325057)   #68
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I actually think EP is one of the best marshals around here.
Testify girl...

She's only telling it like it was. If the driver involved was being promoted as the marshal's friend then I think it only fair to mention an incident where his behaviour is the complete opposite to some of his PR.

pitpoopsie - attack the post, not the poster, always a good rule to follow on a forum. Especially since one of those you're attacking is the owner of the forum, you know, the guy that pays for this service.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 16:03 (Ref:325265)   #69
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to say that I've only taken part in 4 races so far... Those being Pembrey, Cadwell Park and Oulton Park (this weekend Croix) in the Ginetta Championship and I have utter respect for the Marshals and the job they do- otherwise there wouldn't be any racing!! Hopefully will meet up with a few of you on here as we'll be at Croft and Anglesey soon. At the end of the day the Marshals have a tough job to do and there have been quite a few occasions when fellow competitors haven't concentrated on the flags being shown.

Plus overall they are working (for nothing) to ensure that the race meetings go ahead safely. I am looking to carry out a day of Marshalling to complement my licence signatures and to gain a bit of better insight into 'the other side' as it were. I think someone made a suggestion that Drivers should Marshal once a year - too right then they'd gain a better appreciation of what it means to Marshal, plus this would also boost the low numbers of Marshals that we seem to have at the moment.

I've only had one 'incident' (so far) where I came off the track, but luckily could restart it and carried on.. (at Oulton Park in Testing, a couple of Friday's ago... ) The session got 'Red Flagged' - so that the tyre wall which I 'kissed' could be checked.. Totally my own fault - pushing far too hard too early on..

EPS
:-)
Old 1 Jul 2002, 16:16 (Ref:325273)   #70
icklimp
Racer

England
if only there were more drivers like you, which club did you race at cadwell with? i think it should be mandatory for drivers to do one day's marshallling a year to get a license for next year but few of the drivers agree, they don't see why they should spend all day on the bank in the cold with no facilities and not even get paid for it.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 16:43 (Ref:325282)   #71
ginettag27
Racer

It was the BARC. It was one of the events this year which was almost cancelled or was going to be possibly shortened... In the end it ran without hitch or problem and we had an excellent race - I even managed to overtake two people!! Although this might have had something to do with the hash I made of the start! The Tasmins were there as well and had an awful race start - the weather was very changeable... it was on the 26th of May
Old 1 Jul 2002, 16:51 (Ref:325286)   #72
icklimp
Racer

England
i've missed loads of meetings at cadwell this year and the weather is always changable, are you due back at cadwell this year?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 17:07 (Ref:325294)   #73
ginettag27
Racer

Unfortunately not :-( great circuit - looking forward to going back next year. :-)

Next race is at Croix - what's the deal with Marshal's at this circuit? - still coming from the UK?

Then, Croft, Anglesey, Snetterton, Silverstone, Mallory Park and Thruxton.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 18:05 (Ref:325302)   #74
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by pitpopsie
EP, nice to see you! Well I sure got you going on that didnt I!

I dont like my FRIENDS being reffered to as: "what an utter ******"(Craig Antill) "Little Pratt" (craig Antill) and "****" (evilpumpkin).

you actually give marshals a bad name! No wonder drivers dont respect you when you talk about them in such ways!
pitpopsie since you've never marshalled with me you have absolutely no idea what my skills may be or whether or not I give marshals a bad name and I find it very odd that you would make a reference like that with no basis of knowledge whatsoever. It's a very dangerous comment to make.

You certainly had no objection to me posting when I was posting in defence of you - but the second anyone says something you don't like you seem to feel the need to launch a personal attack. This is not a good way to get yourself taken seriously. If you are unable to conduct a discussion without making personal comments, you're never going to get your point across. Right now you have not changed my view of this driver based on what I've heard - merely confirmed that view based on his choice of "FRIENDS".

Incidentally, it would also help your "argument" and I use the term loosely, if you got your facts straight. I never referred to the driver in question as a "****" - I simply queried whether Craig intended that term for him. I DID refer to him as a "muppet" however. As far as I am aware, Craig is familiar with this driver and is therefore entitled to his opinion whether or not it co-incides with yours.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 18:28 (Ref:325307)   #75
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ginettag27
[BNext race is at Croix - what's the deal with Marshal's at this circuit? - still coming from the UK?

Then, Croft, Anglesey, Snetterton, Silverstone, Mallory Park and Thruxton. [/B]
As far as I know, clubs take their own marshals to Croix - Bemsee certainly does.

What are your dates for Oulton & Anglesey? We'll probably be marshalling at one or both of them.