Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Feb 2003, 10:30 (Ref:492762)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andretti's unfinished business

Micheal Andretti had confirmed he will retire after this year's Indy 500.

I Haven't won the Indy 500 in my career. I've decided that I want to be a team owner, but first there is a little unfinished buissiness"

I assume that Daniel Wheldon will take over car #7, it's gonna be great to see him race again. Gool luck to both drivers for this season

Last edited by Down F0rce; 1 Feb 2003 at 10:31.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 20:02 (Ref:493148)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes , its been confirmed that Dan will take over his seat ......i think though , that if Andretti doesnt win the 500 this year , he will run him self next year as well.......i never believe drivers when the announce their retirement .
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:42 (Ref:493325)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Arie Luyendyk point in fact

but I guess you cant blame him , its the race everyone wants to win.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 07:30 (Ref:493577)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you think Mikey would be competitive enough to win it?

This season or indeed the next....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Feb 2003, 22:55 (Ref:494256)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
you can never underestimate Mikey, he is very quick as we all know and a very good driver , but sadly his mistakes or failures seem to stick in the mind more than his successes , Im sure he is very capable of winning the indy 500 but then again im pretty sure that there will be at least 15 guys also very capable too.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 04:16 (Ref:495719)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are the rumours that Andretti-Green are running 4 cars at the Indy 500 correct?

Thats a lot of equipment....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Feb 2003, 13:51 (Ref:496069)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
certainly is alot of equipment but perhaps that includes spare cars ??? im not sure on that though ???
Old 4 Feb 2003, 16:35 (Ref:496245)   #8
JamesJimmy
Rookie

JamesJimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the 2003 liveries thread shows four AGR cars unveiled: two with 7-11 sponsorship for Andretti and Kanaan, one Alpine/Motorola for Franchitti, and one Klein Tools/Jim Beam(?) entry for Wheldon.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 21:59 (Ref:496631)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ahhhhh well there you go , I better pop over to that thread and have a look then
Old 9 Feb 2003, 17:24 (Ref:501541)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to start a fight, I'm looking for some IRL opinions on this topic. One could draw the conclusion that Mike feels that now that his CART career is over, his racing career is over. In 2002 he really struggled on the road courses, but did fine on the ovals. I think he still has more in him than Unser did/does. He seems to want to go out with dignity. What do you guys think?
Old 9 Feb 2003, 22:59 (Ref:501878)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
of course every driver wants to go out with dignity , and mikey is no different there , he hasnt had the best time in Cart for the past few years and as you say he did Ok on the ovals so maybe he is thinking he will give the 500 mainly one last shot and have a few oval races and see how he goes.

but of course his real reason for joining the IRL was money , there is no doubting that in fact all the converts have come across because at present its easier to get sponsors for the IRL than CART and if thats where the sponsors want to spend their money then thats where the drivers will drive.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 16:14 (Ref:502447)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plenty of guys have failed to go out with dignity. When Unser Jr switched to the IRL, it was at a MUCH lower standard than CART, and he failed to do anything imrpessive at first, although motivation may have been the issue - he's done well now that some big names are there to be rivalled.

Marcus is defiantely right about the money, but the question is - had the IRL option not come along, would Michael have retired outright and had the team running 3 entries in CART? Or, if his performance had faded out to this extent while he was still an Newman-Haas, would he have retired from driving on the spot rather than following Al Jr?
Old 10 Feb 2003, 22:46 (Ref:502816)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To make it more pointed: If Michael could be competitive in the IRL, but he wants to go out with dignity, it would indicate that the IRL doesn't interest him as a driver. I think he's plenty capable of winning oval races in an open wheel series.