Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:12 (Ref:564024)   #1
jmaroull
Rookie

jmaroull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greek Student Needs Your Help

I am a student in the architecture school in Greece, and have to design an F1 circuit!

The idea is that I 'll use parts form the existing F1 tracks, (like a puzzle maybe) , and THE QUESTION IS : :
WICH PARTS OF THE EXISTING TRACKS DO YOU FIND EXCITING , INTRESTING, ECT

ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE ACCEPTED
(PLZ REFER TO THE F1 TRACKS AND USE NUMBERS OR NAMES OR ANYTHING TO DESCRIBE , I HAVE THE WHOLE DATA NEEDED)
CHEERS
THANK YOU
Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:18 (Ref:564030)   #2
jamesb
Rookie

jamesb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First corner at Brands Hatch.
First corner at Mallory Park.
Um, can't think of anything else wide enough.
Thruxton?

Basically, a good track will include lowspeed wide sections with long straights immidiatly after, then long, wide braking zones into long wide, slow corners. Stick some fast exciting stuff in between et voila. Oh wait, that's spa and Brazil.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:47 (Ref:564057)   #3
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its not currently an F1 track but Spa - Eau Rouge?? just leaves me breathless!!!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:564381)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Greek Student Needs Your Help

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaroull
I am a student in the architecture school in Greece, and have to design an F1 circuit!

The idea is that I 'll use parts form the existing F1 tracks, (like a puzzle maybe) , and THE QUESTION IS : :
WICH PARTS OF THE EXISTING TRACKS DO YOU FIND EXCITING , INTRESTING, ECT

ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE ACCEPTED
(PLZ REFER TO THE F1 TRACKS AND USE NUMBERS OR NAMES OR ANYTHING TO DESCRIBE , I HAVE THE WHOLE DATA NEEDED)
CHEERS
THANK YOU
Hmm... There are quite a lot of us here who design our own circuits as hobbies, we share and discuss them here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=25073

I'm sure everyone there will be happy to help.

I have to ask, is the assignment to use parts of existing tracks, or just to design the best circuit?

A track using all the best parts of existing circuits really wouldn't work for a lot of different reasons... And being copying parts of other people's designs really isn't the best way to go. If you really want to do this, you should find for yourself what makes a good circuit, and develop your own style.

Well, anyway, feel free to pop in on that thread and share your ideas!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 03:55 (Ref:564737)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm.....
No chicanes!!
Tarmac runoff
Long straights
mix of tight slow and openening fast corners
eleveation changes galore
wide
corners that both open and tighten (not the same corner)
long
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:22 (Ref:565008)   #6
jmaroull
Rookie

jmaroull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Greek Student Needs Your Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Hmm... There are quite a lot of us here who design our own circuits as hobbies, we share and discuss them here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=25073

I'm sure everyone there will be happy to help.

I have to ask, is the assignment to use parts of existing tracks, or just to design the best circuit?

A track using all the best parts of existing circuits really wouldn't work for a lot of different reasons... And being copying parts of other people's designs really isn't the best way to go. If you really want to do this, you should find for yourself what makes a good circuit, and develop your own style.

Well, anyway, feel free to pop in on that thread and share your ideas!
actually i am an architect and i don't have the time to learn the whole track designing thing, so to have an as possible realistic job to do , i decided to use some famous parts in my work....
The link you gave me is amazing , maybe i 'll scan the landscape i have and give it to all of you designers so i 'll get the track from expeienced persons THANK's again
Old 13 Apr 2003, 22:23 (Ref:568544)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm and architect too, and actually toyed with the idea of doig a track for my thesis in Graduate school 15 years ago. Some things you might want to consider are procession, particularly procession as experienced repetively by the drivers on each lap as oppoesed to the sequence of arrival experienced by the fan. Also from a pracrical,standpoint, locating near an urban center gives you an opportunity to design a transit center which in itself might establish an architectonic language re-inforced by the Grandstands, media center, garages, Concession stands, restaurants and toilets and perhaps even a Hotel.As I was educated in the '80's, we were concerned with issus of Monumentality and procession which are not terribley in vogue today, but I think that the idea of celebrating the Gladiatorial aspects of the event could make for a compelling project-overlaying this upon the shared processions of spectator and driver.

As for courses to investigate, Watkins Glen's loop and the climbing Esses are amazing. Also the aforementioned Eau Rouge and the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Consider at Monaco the dramatic effect toif the tunnel and the sweep along the harbour.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 23:11 (Ref:569568)   #8
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with what you said about Watkins Glen. One thing that stands out for me is to not have too many "trick" elements. In other words, a track should not have elements that do not seem to naturally fit. When folks started putting in chicanes in F-1 courses to slow the cars down, there was a lot of unhappiness in the driver community because the extra measures appeared to be just added on with no sense of overall plan. Perhaps on way to approach your problem would be to start with a piece of rolling land and try to fit a course naturally into the constraints of the terrain.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 17:21 (Ref:572278)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander_48
Perhaps on way to approach your problem would be to start with a piece of rolling land and try to fit a course naturally into the constraints of the terrain.
Excellent advice, I couldn't agree more.