Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Oct 2003, 18:39 (Ref:758614)   #1
xtreemgmr84
Rookie

xtreemgmr84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you become a race car driver?

I’ve casually enjoyed watching the NASCAR races since I was a kid and I even play the racing video games ~ and yet I’m still at a loss for how these guys get to become professional race car drivers! I mean, how do you get started? In the games, you just start out with a lower grade car. No explanation, you’re just there. Then, as you win more races, you earn more money to buy more cars, etc. I’ve just never known what the story was with these guys. There’s a racing game called R. Racing Evolution (http://www.racing-evolution.com/) coming out this year that is supposed to be one of the most realistic racing games out yet, so maybe the story mode in that game will answer this question. I don’t know if I can hold out that long though. If someone here could explain it some, that would be great… then maybe I can see how true to life the game really turns out to be!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 18:43 (Ref:758617)   #2
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't wanna seem to be cheeky but are you for real?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 18:50 (Ref:758628)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not F1. I don't know whether to move this to Armchair Enthusiasts Forum or the Racer's Forum!

I suppose it is actually about being a race drivers, so er racers...
Old 21 Oct 2003, 19:19 (Ref:758653)   #4
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well, get a racing licence, and then compete in club meetings and stuff and get better and better, gain more experience then move up categorys etc... i havent done this and im not a racing driver so im not the best person to say all this really
Old 21 Oct 2003, 19:50 (Ref:758682)   #5
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBluesman1
don't wanna seem to be cheeky but are you for real?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 19:54 (Ref:758687)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by McKay
well, get a racing licence,
If a Brit try here: http://www.msauk.org/ Click on Go Motorsport and find licences. You have to take an ARDS test. I did mine at Mallory.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 21:59 (Ref:758780)   #7
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming we not talking video games!?...The way to start is you take a boy (not girl) aged 8 years old get a kart racing license from the MSA (in the UK that is) and start out in the Cadet 'mini-kart' class, there are tracks all over the country, who have clubs that run a monthly meeting (for all classes)

This is how the Jenson Button's etc started out, groomed from the age of 8 every weekend single week end, every school holiday, sometimes after school...pounding around and around. First club racing then National Championships, progressing up thru the various classes. Button, Wheldon, Davidson etc had participated in upwards of 1,000 (yes one thousand!) races by the time they were 16 years old.

At 16 in the UK you move them into Senior (preferably in European) International 100cc Karting, with a professional team, National, European and then World Championships...ONLY then do you let them graduate to car racing!...many fathers (usually the weathy ones) move their little Senna's too soon (15 in the UK) into cars!!!....NOOOOOOOOOOO! Much to early...They've got to learn to race wheel to wheel with the best (Italians preferably) THEN you go car racing, if you arn't rich you'll need a wealthy backer, who you allow to become their manager. They will need about 2 million (in GBpounds) minimum. The right route (in the UK) is club formula Ford, Winter series, National series, one or two years (a talented driver will be winning in his first year) Then British Formula 3, don't mess with the B class...go with a good team, and do all the FIA International events, Marlboro Masters, Macau etc. If you havn't won several big events, stay in the class for another (£600,000 GBP) season.

By then if offers arn't coming your way, you're driver hasn't won enough!...go tin top racing (or go F3000 or Nippon or Nissan) that'll cost you (or their management another million GBP) and all the time you and the management must network...network...network! If you're lucky they'll get a paid (professional) position. But there are no guarantees. But it was fun doing it.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 05:51 (Ref:759024)   #8
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good description high contrast...

Even though you describe the British scene, the story is the same world wide. Start in karts, do a million laps and races, spend lots of money, and learn to win.

Formula Ford etc exists in most countries, so jump in one of them next. You must be winning in Formula Ford if you'll ever make it anywhere. In fact, not just winning - you have to dominate. Then its time for F3.

Once you reach F3, you have to join one of the major F3 Championships, either British or European. F3 is where you prove whether or not you are the goods.

If you do a good job in F3, you'll make contacts inside Formula One and hopefully score a test drive or two. The balance between money and talent is a little bit complicated at this stage . If you truly are spectacular, you'll be picked up into Formula One. If not, touring cars.

But the one thing you need is the money. Almost everything else (except being blind) can be worked around. Also, you won't find significant sponsors before you reach the F3 level, so you'd better be rich to start with.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 05:54 (Ref:759026)   #9
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, "R: Racing Evolution" is available for playstation and xbox. Translation: useless physics model.

Anything serious requires a top end PC, steering wheel and pedals (and if you're serious enough, a full sit-in cockpit).
Old 22 Oct 2003, 06:58 (Ref:759063)   #10
Don Rennis
Rookie

Don Rennis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get re-born with a rich dad, remove brain, speak with a silly voice, have a bimbo on your arm. BINGO you’re a racing driver!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:24 (Ref:759417)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
very close ROn

the key factor is to be born rich, or be adopted at a very early age by a strange talking wealtly person

or if you come into more money than sense at an older age, take up historic racing and price everyone out of the market by paying house prices for souped up 60's runabouts
Old 23 Oct 2003, 23:00 (Ref:761362)   #12
xtreemgmr84
Rookie

xtreemgmr84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I for real, Mr. Bluesman? Well, what's so hard to believe? I mean, I've enjoyed music since I was a kid, but that doesn't mean I have a clear understanding of how to become a rock star either. There seems to be many ways of doing it... however, I'm getting the impression that both the music industry and the racing industry have one major common thread, at least as it pertains to becoming highly successful:
BE RICH IN THE FIRST PLACE

...which was my dreaded suspicion. So, it looks like I'll probably never be either.

(gonna go buy some lottery tickets now.. )
Old 24 Oct 2003, 09:06 (Ref:761676)   #13
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See also the thread in F1 where it is incorrectly assumed that wealth is a prerequisite - as I said there I think Schumacher's dad was a truck driver
Old 24 Oct 2003, 10:14 (Ref:761729)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher did give up his karting at one stage due to lack of cash, but someone (I think it was the local kart track owner) had spotted his talent and sponsored him for a few years.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 11:15 (Ref:761775)   #15
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Bernie Ecclestone one say that the only way to make a small fortune in motor racing is to start with a really big one ..... ???

Never a truer word said.....
Old 25 Oct 2003, 17:57 (Ref:762885)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
as I said there I think Schumacher's dad was a truck driver

Do truck drivers not have money then?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:49 (Ref:765158)   #17
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go and hang round the Formula Vees at a 750mc meeting and have a chat with them (er, not right after they've stuffed their car, but I'm sure you'll work that out) Cars are cheap, racing is close and very competitive and you'll find out if you actually like doing it.

If you get hooked you will find a way to carry on. It helps a lot to have mechanical knowledge or a friend who does. It is best not to have a wife or girlfriend as they get jealous of your car (or the time and money you spend with it)
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:40 (Ref:765653)   #18
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is formula vee single seaters or tin tops? whats the age limit for that?

and if you wanna be a tin top driver do you have to do karting?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:00 (Ref:765680)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
formula vee is single seaters and great fun (I race vee every now and again)

or buy my book!

www.veloce.co.uk
Old 8 Nov 2003, 12:54 (Ref:776853)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite what people tell you, you don't have to start in karts. The only reason that most of the top drivers did karts was because they were too young to race anything else.

If you're 16 or over you can go straight into cars and skip karts completely. Step 1 is choose a suitable class and join the respective club. They will give you tips on how to get your licence and where to find a suitable car. You will have to buy this with your own or your father's money. At club level, there are no teams and few real sponsors. You'll need mechanical knowhow or a mate with it and away you go.

There have been a few guys who started out in club level, doing it out of their own pocket, by the sweat of their own brow, who've gone on to a professional career. It can be done, you just need plenty of talent and a bottomless pit of guts & determination.

Alternatively, you can be like me. Realise early on that you don't have what it takes to make it as a pro and get a real job, that pays good money and spend your spare change on racing at club level for nothing more than the sheer fun of it.