Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1326576)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa Great Job!

I thought that Massa had his best race of his Short Career this weekend for Sauber with a great fourth place in a track where great drivers like Alonso and Button made huge mistakes. He drove a hard clean race fending of the BMW's. I think that he deserves a pat on the back from all of us today because their have been times when has been criticized for his driving. I thought both saubers could have done well today but JV's fantastic luck this season caught up with him again.

I don't know about you guys but if BMW has not bought Sauber yet watching Massa finish ahead of both their drivers today and fending off Webber at the end might push them even more towards buying the team. I herd from Derrick Daily on CBS that the rumor is they have already bought the team for 270 million Euros but who knows its Derrick Daily who thinks that points run all the way to the top 10 in F1
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1326590)   #2
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solid race from Massa, I wasn't at all suprised to hear Brundle announce him as his Driver of the day.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1326602)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Fantastic drive by Felipe. I still think he'll get one of the Ferrari drives in the post-Schummi era.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1326621)   #4
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I`ll say it then, he did a terrific job, but then again many ahead of him did not finish the race.
And his teammate still has "issues".
Old 12 Jun 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1326767)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Felipe was really strong this afternoon, doing a very nice job of dodging adn deflating the mispalced hype surrounding his team-mate, yet again. He seemed to be involved in a lot of midfield dicing, and he managed to come out on top agaisnt cars he should not have had a chance against.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1326864)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a fan of Massa.

I just have an irrational mental block against him.

Can't explain it.

But I suppose he did alright today
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1326871)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great race for Massa, indeed. Thankfully it was not screwed by some silly move from the side of JV
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1326877)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'm not a fan of Massa.

I just have an irrational mental block against him.

Can't explain it.
Know what you mean. I include Ralf Schumacher, Giancarlo Fisichella, Eddie Irvine and Jos Verstappen on that little list.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1326938)   #9
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Ok, I`ll say it then, he did a terrific job, but then again many ahead of him did not finish the race.
And his teammate still has "issues".
I could not say "terrific". The list of guys in front who did not finish is long and several through no fault of their own like Jarno, Nick & Fisi, maybe even JPM.
His drive was good and steady but I do not see it as extraordinary.
It was a lucky batch of points in my opinion. Good for him and Sauber but not worth getting excited about.
Mike
Old 13 Jun 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1326946)   #10
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Fantastic drive by Felipe. I still think he'll get one of the Ferrari drives in the post-Schummi era.
I agree he's a front runner.
He did a great job today, making the most of a rare Sauber good day. Maybe others problems elevated his finishing position, but he'd still be my driver of the day. He raced with both Williams and beat them.

I look forward to seeing him in top machinery.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1327174)   #11
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
Know what you mean. I include Ralf Schumacher, Giancarlo Fisichella, Eddie Irvine and Jos Verstappen on that little list.
Yeah, verstappen, definitely verstappen! And probably Irvine as well.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1327252)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah he's really got a grip of keeping it together over a race now as opposed to being just damn quick, which he always has been.

He had a handle on the Williams and Toyota's all race which are better cars (perhaps not at this race though)

I agree, he's got a very strong chance of peddalling a Ferrari (again) before long if MS packs it all in and Rubens moves on.

My money's on him taking Rubens' seat if he leaves at the end of the year and then Massa could be groomed for number one spot when MS stands down?
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1327299)   #13
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The Ferrari situation is this IMO-If Michael stays on for 2006, they'll oust Rubens and replace him with Massa. If Michael retires, they'll keep Rubens and hire Klien and then replace Rubens with Massa in 2007. Done and done!
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1327305)   #14
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klien...hhmm.... i think he is a bit new for that job.

I like Massa, he was quick before that the Ferrari role was a very good job for him. He is pretty underrated these days and then he gets results like these - a solid job yet again.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1327313)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Absolutely, he's seriously underrated by some of us on here but i think he will be joining the top drivers 'gang' before long.

Who knows maybe BMW will like him to stay at Sauber with Heidfeld?

Ferrari is the obvious option thought, and i hadn't fully realised that Todt's son is his manager too...makes it all add up really...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1327328)   #16
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. Good Solid run.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1327369)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year he finally looks like someone who might be able to hold his own at Ferrari, although perhaps only in the Rubens role. He did well yesterday, although the positions somewhat fell into his lap as the other guys dropped out.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1327867)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He did very well. I think he is finally starting to mature into the driver Ferrari thought he might be.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1327924)   #19
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Turbo_Charged should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great job indeed. I used to be sceptical about Massa... and thought it was a good idea to get someone experienced like a former WDC. I guess I was wrong, Massa has been clearly the team leader... was slower in qualifying this time but has been showing a maturity beyond his years lately.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1328089)   #20
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa SHOULD NOT turn up at Ferrari, no way!

So what he has been around for a while now and is entrenced in F1? remember that his credetials were only average winning that obscure Euro. F3000 championship, he was all hype, and his driving style is terrible.

I would put any of Trulli, Ralf, Button in the Ferrari before Massa!

Anyway Ferrari should get there chequebook out, and sign BOTH Raikkonen and Alonso if at all possible. Sign them up early, for the time straight after when their current contracts run out.

A bit biased, but either Raik or Alonso as Number 1 driver, with Webber or Trulli or Heidfeld (even Ralf, Fisi, Button) as a Rubens/Irvine-style Number 2 would be a sensible line up.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1328149)   #21
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
After watching Massa closely this year I do believe he is ferrari material. You say Webber for WDC... I used to believe that Webber could possibly be one someday, but this year so far he hasn't lived up the hype he deservedly generated in his 1st jaguar year (last year wasn't impressive). Webber is a good driver... but he's making a lot of easy mistakes this season. Hope he settles down quicky despite of the BWM V Williams turmoil.

Also Massa wasn't off the pace when teamed up with Heidfeld, he was indeed erratic and raw... but very very quick (so much Ferrari even picked him up.. are they fools?)

Last edited by Turbo_Charged; 14 Jun 2005 at 10:54. Reason: bad english
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1328153)   #22
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa would be an ideal No. 2 at Ferrari, perhaps for Kimi. I dont see Alonso at Ferrari. Throughout this season, he has been trying to get the best out of the Sauber. I think he has matured a great deal.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1328154)   #23
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_carzy
Massa would be an ideal No. 2 at Ferrari, perhaps for Kimi.
That would be an explosive combination... Massa is way to wild to play a good number 2. Kimi would certainly beat him, but no matter the team order, I guess he would race his teammate... and then be sacked
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1328313)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Once again we seem to be judging how a driver will fare against another based on current reputations and/or what they are driving.

IMO the only way to fairly judge a driver is to rate them on what they do with the equipment at their disposal (when fully fit and settled into their environment).

Therefore you would have to say that Massa has done a mega job this year and last against drivers with bigger 'reputations.' ie Fizzi and JV.

I'm not so sure that Kimi would automatically beat Massa if they were teammates? As with Monster and Alonso, Massa is also a similar driver to Kimi relatively speaking. That is to say, a head down charger. And also, those four will be the 4 to beat at the front of the field over the next few years, i guess.

Button, Webber may get in on the act as well but based on their performances so far this year, probably not!

I tend to agree that a Kimi Massa line up would make just as explosive a partnership as Kimi and JPM eventually will turn out to be!!

I also think that post Schuey Ferrari may not operate the current set up of favouring one car over the other anyway. After all, we could be looking at a whole new team management by then.

I really do think that Massa could sensibly slot in as Rubens replacement for a year to learn the ropes off Schuey and then have a good chance of being top dog against whoever replaces the German.....

Difference is that now he has a steady head on his shoulders to match that speed.