Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Feb 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1514167)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I can see your point John it is just those tail lights, they just shout at you Ford Cortina. Its amazing Ford actually sanctioned it when you think about it, still I guess a sale is a sale and they already had the Ford small block stuffed under the hood so sort of OK, great little car though.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1514310)   #27
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what wonderful images! this is a nice new forum section
Old 2 Feb 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1514368)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In that case, I'll inflict a few more on you. Back to the paddock at the Brands Hatch Superprix last year, and here's Robin Lackford's FJ Elva 100, with Crispian Besley's similar car in the back ground:-

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Feb 2006 at 11:54. Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old 2 Feb 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1514391)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Also from the Superprix, Neil Fender's Jamun T2, a rare bird, I would imagine:-

Old 2 Feb 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1514393)   #30
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me in my Nike FFord, testing at Mallory Park

Old 2 Feb 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1514406)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last one, today, especially for Alan, Chris Owen's MG TB at Cadwell last September, coming through Hall Bends exiting from where Roger Connell's TVR was entering:-

Old 2 Feb 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1514408)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Nice one, Gary; very smart livery; the matching helmet is also rather splendid!
Old 2 Feb 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1514411)   #33
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks John, pity I have to spend out & get a new one this year!!
Old 2 Feb 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1514533)   #34
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I can see your point John it is just those tail lights, they just shout at you Ford Cortina. Its amazing Ford actually sanctioned it when you think about it, still I guess a sale is a sale and they already had the Ford small block stuffed under the hood so sort of OK, great little car though.
Aybody got a picture of the rear end of the Lola GT?

Regardless of their source, those lights were highly functional - all 3 lights in a single fitting that you could fix to a flat surface.

Oh! I almost forgot. It's a great idea splitting historic racing from racing history.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1514544)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
All angles of the Lola GT here:-

http://www.mgussin.freeuk.com/LolaGT/LolaGT.htm

Yes, glad you like the idea of the split forums, D-Type; whilst they are strongly linked and there is inevitably some overlap, they are distinctly different subjects. However, we do hope that everyone interested in the one will also look into and contribute posts on the other!
Old 3 Feb 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1514639)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
that car dissapeared as fast as it appeared . . . anyone know where it is ?
Old 3 Feb 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1515073)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That Lola is a beautiful looking beast even with the Coco-Tina rear lights!
Old 4 Feb 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1515295)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I agree Al! Incidentally, whilst searching for relevant threads in archives to move into the new forum, I came across this regarding Mk1 Cortina rear lights:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37239

Zef, I think the Lola was driven in a few events, after restoration, by a gentleman named Halfpenny, but as you say, it disappeared again quickly after that. Might have to do a bit of research. It's truly a historic car given that it was the progenitor directly of the GT40, and, indirectly, of the T70.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1515320)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thought I might put a few more pics, today. An unusual view of Les Ely's E-type at the HSCC meeting last October, in the pits garage at Silverstone.

Old 4 Feb 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1515324)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
At the same meeting, heavy metal; Neville Day's Pontiac Firebird:-

Old 4 Feb 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1515335)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Laidlaw/Diffey Lotus (described in the programme as a 09/03/1900, which, in my ignorance, means nothing to me; maybe someone could enlighten me!) in a state of semi-undress, again, at the same meeting:-

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Feb 2006 at 11:12.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1515342)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lastly, today, same meeting (I've several more), a scene that epitomises Historic racing today; Henry Scott's Lola T200, with Chris Keen's lovely XK120 FHC in the background, and to the right, enthusiasts of two generations (Father and Son?) watching cars entering the scrutineering bay.

Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1515344)   #43
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I think the Lola was driven in a few events, after restoration, by a gentleman named Halfpenny, but as you say, it disappeared again quickly after that.
Paul Haywood Halfpenny has been around for quite a time. I seem to remember him in a Corvette in the 70's and I think he might of brought Baby Bertha after Gerry Marshall had finished with it.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1515367)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would love to view the pictures posted by JT but where is the 'thumbnail' he mentions?
As revealed in the past I am a technical idiot who would also love to post some of his(much admired!) snaps on the site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, but is has to very simple.

Thanks.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1515373)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Bob, are you just seeing the posts without images? If so, this has cropped up occasionally before and I think it has been to do with the user's own PC configuration. I'll check back to see if or how it was resolved.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1515522)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Here is a picture of my car when white before I repanelled it. Slipping up the inside is Ellis Bergman's Camaro hotly chased by Gerry Cain in his SDI as he bought it from David Tetly before he heavily modified it, followed by Dave Fuller (Adrians brother) in the awesome Pinto engined Capri and it was either Dick Whittington or Mick Marlow in Dick's old RS2000. ModProds in its prime circular 1991/2. Oh and that other stunning SDI was Rover expert supreme Ray (Rovertec) the son in law of Tom Wheatcroft the owner of Donnington Park (I went Ray's wedding and second name slips me for the moment, sorry Ray).
Old 4 Feb 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1515523)   #47
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last one, today, especially for Alan, Chris Owen's MG TB at Cadwell last September, coming through Hall Bends exiting from where Roger Connell's TVR was entering:-

I have a shot of a similar MG that was taken at 3 Sisters during a Sprint event - always good to see the old cars out on track
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/924nut/im...05/mg/24_1.jpg
Old 4 Feb 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1515553)   #48
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
At the same meeting, heavy metal; Neville Day's Pontiac Firebird:-

What Championship does this car run in John?
Old 4 Feb 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1515571)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Al, thought that one might grab your attention; it was entered in the HSCC 70's Roadsports Championship Race. Evocative pic. of your car above; I prefer it in its current yellow livery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924nut
I have a shot of a similar MG that was taken at 3 Sisters during a Sprint event - always good to see the old cars out on track
Yep, very old is good, too!

Last edited by John Turner; 5 Feb 2006 at 08:43. Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old 5 Feb 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1515805)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
are you sure that they should be in CTRCC link as they were either at Goodwood or arch rivals HSCC meetings!!!
Simon,

What Al is referring to is the list of topics in the CTCRC site. I've got to update the list on my front page too. It needs new codes.