Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1009164)   #1
Pierre Martins
Rookie

Pierre Martins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question about Indy - The Wall and Drag?

I noticed something watching indy qualifying. Rubens was slower than MS in the first sector. Coming out on the banking he even had the wind against him (something MS didn't have) so his chances of pole was kinda slim. Yet, he got pole.

Rubens was the only driver who stayed clear of the wall. All the others hugged the wall down the straight. I read somewhere long ago that, if you're not in someone's slipstream, staying too close to the wall in Indy racing actually increases drag because turbulance and wake bouncing off the wall, back at the car.

Is this true? If it is, then maybe Rubens knew something the others didn't. But why did Montoya stay on the wall? Surely he should know about this theory?

comments?

Cheers,
Pierre.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1009179)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
interesting . and makes sense . but we'll need an expert to solve the mistery . but i don't think mike uses the F1 forum ..
Rubens . lost a little bit in the last part . but Schumacher had a "very" slow second split . and there he lost the pole ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1009199)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm..i've heard of that theory too in the past, but not too bothered about it..

In any case, JPM had a top speed of 340kmh, which is 5 more than Rubens...so i guess it doesn't make much difference.

Furthermore, regarding "Yet, (RB) got pole", While RB had a slower first stint, MS made a mistake in the long 2nd stint, and lost quite some time there. Coupled with Rubens putting in a very clean 2nd sector, the pole is sealed...2nd sector is the part which determined pole yesterday, i don't think it's the straight.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1009201)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This case

I think Rubens got pole because Michael messed up S2 and Rubens did it well. Check out the sector times.

However lets look at the third sector:
Michael Schumacher 19.516
Rubens Barrichello 19.571 +0.055

So Rubens was slightly slower than Michael in S3. However it is difficult to tell whether this is due being close to the wall, the exit from the slow corner before, wing set-up, gear ratios, wind direction, or one of the other small reasons.

So in this case I don't think we can tell, but it is an interesting point:

Generally

In oval racing we see cars move more to the centre of the track when travelling down the straight(away)s. I think the main reason is, as you suggest, buffeting from the end effect of the air between the car and the wall. Single seaters seem to move away more, probably because they are more sensitive (but also slightly higher speeds?). How much this effects lap time I am unsure off. I guess a small amount, but everything counts.

I have experienced this. Since Rockingham was open in the UK a few years ago, British drivers have an easier way to experience this. There is indeed buffeting and I only really reached 130-140mph if you keep close to the wall. Although you don't have to move far away for the effect to be removed - it'll be more of an effect the faster you go and the increase may not be linear.

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Jun 2004 at 08:44.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1009287)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget S3 includes turn 11, that slow right hander after that double hairpin which in the past has proven itself to be tricky.