Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 1 May 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3532758)   #601
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that will be really great - am looking forward to the day when we have ONE V8 Touring Car group here

looked good at Pukekohe and if some level of parity between TLX & V8ST can be worked then that will be good.

firmly believe if that is the case then TL cars will eventually grow sufficient cars to have their own races.

lots of work to be done to integrate back into meetings, eg track time, length of races etc
Old 2 May 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3532779)   #602
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
...firmly believe if that is the case then TL cars will eventually grow sufficient cars to have their own races.
Financial logic as much as anything else, dictates that when a grid is too big (i.e. over 40 cars at most tracks) or over subscribed on a regular basis, then, and only then do you split it. You don't ever start off with tiny grids expecting them to grow.

If entrants are too tardy to get their entries in on time and are on a reserve list, we will finally have reached a sensible stage that will benefit organisers/promoters, sponsors and yes, spectators.

Kiwis particularly, seem very slow at entering race meetings, because they believe they will get to race anyway, even though in most cases, they'll get a full refund if they pull out a couple of days early. They have no idea how much stress and aggravation this late entry nonsense causes organisers, and officials, who are usually hard working volunteers.

There is no need to go down the parity track at all between the two or three V8 groups. Common sense (which isn't that common anyway) also dictates that even if you mixed a few of the quicker Muscle Cars with the modern V8s, that would make a far better spectacle for the spectators than the tiny grids we have been forced to endure.

If drivers of quicker cars can't navigate their way past some of the slower cars when they catch them, then they have no right to call themselves racing drivers.
Old 2 May 2015, 04:48 (Ref:3532803)   #603
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Financial logic as much as anything else, dictates that when a grid is too big (i.e. over 40 cars at most tracks) or over subscribed on a regular basis, then, and only then do you split it. You don't ever start off with tiny grids expecting them to grow.

If entrants are too tardy to get their entries in on time and are on a reserve list, we will finally have reached a sensible stage that will benefit organisers/promoters, sponsors and yes, spectators.

Kiwis particularly, seem very slow at entering race meetings, because they believe they will get to race anyway, even though in most cases, they'll get a full refund if they pull out a couple of days early. They have no idea how much stress and aggravation this late entry nonsense causes organisers, and officials, who are usually hard working volunteers.

There is no need to go down the parity track at all between the two or three V8 groups. Common sense (which isn't that common anyway) also dictates that even if you mixed a few of the quicker Muscle Cars with the modern V8s, that would make a far better spectacle for the spectators than the tiny grids we have been forced to endure.

If drivers of quicker cars can't navigate their way past some of the slower cars when they catch them, then they have no right to call themselves racing drivers.

Belief it or not Ray, I am now a believer! Not only with your suggestion on maximum grid number's [even if in future some late entries miss out] but also the rubbish talked about parity. Each of the already 3 distinctively different categories needs to focus on policing its own rules, and just get on with doing the best they can within their own category.
Old 2 May 2015, 04:57 (Ref:3532805)   #604
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
They wont as the same people before, most of them are over it and what ever v8st is doing now it aint going to work.
Just like some people are still waiting for the coming of Christ. lol

Just one small point the two things....Spectators and Sponsors
Old 2 May 2015, 10:28 (Ref:3532885)   #605
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Belief it or not Ray, I am now a believer! Not only with your suggestion on maximum grid number's [even if in future some late entries miss out] but also the rubbish talked about parity. Each of the already 3 distinctively different categories needs to focus on policing its own rules, and just get on with doing the best they can within their own category.
And once that's accepted and multi-class racing has returned, you can then look at adding some classes for smaller cars at which point proper touring car racing will once more have a place in the world.

I do miss the old European Touring Car format. 500ks, 4 classes, great racing.
Old 2 May 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3533290)   #606
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
And once that's accepted and multi-class racing has returned, you can then look at adding some classes for smaller cars at which point proper touring car racing will once more have a place in the world.

I do miss the old European Touring Car format. 500ks, 4 classes, great racing.
Hi Woolley,

Unfortunately i am old enough to well remember those races back in the 80's we had them here in New Zealand, but not like the depth and quality you guys had in the UK.

I went to Brand's Hatch a couple of times with Andy Rouse back in 84 and 87 and the grid was chock a block with high quality entries, and spectators galore. I bet you its not like that these days.

A question for you, I am heading over to the Uk for a couple of months in early August, what's a touring car event worth going to during these two months, in you opinion?

Cheers.

Mark.
Old 2 May 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3533321)   #607
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good question. I don't do BTCC myself, too much like dodgems.

I'd take a serious look at British GTs, excellent fields for quality and numbers. For club level, production BMWs are impressive. Huge fields across several classes - 48 cars were out at Silverstone.

But we're off topic. I'll see what's about and message you. Do remind me if I forget, though!
Old 3 May 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3533349)   #608
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe there is now light at the end of the tunnel... This time, it is not a train coming the other way either.

My forecast is that over the next two seasons, we are going to see a dramatic overall improvement in NZ motorsport from several angles - and I am normally not one who forecasts. I think that major issues will be addressed - or already have been addressed - and with just one two personnel in key areas still being a sticking point, I think (and hope) we have already reached rock bottom and the only way now is up.
Old 3 May 2015, 22:51 (Ref:3533799)   #609
darscochuck
Rookie

darscochuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from my limited understanding and listening of the supertourers it always felt that it was about the drivers. if all cars were supposed to be the same then other than a tyre changer, a petrol filler and a window washer what other team members were needed. How can we develop top engineers or crew chiefs and advance them to the next level if they couldn't gain experience in New Zealand because they weren't allowed to change anything, how can you really be called a team when it is only about one person. Watching Will Davidson on the weekend really brought it back home to me over the weekend about how important a proper pit crew can make all the difference especially with the uniqueness of such varying cars, aerodymanics, engines etc. I guess that's the beauty if the V8SCC. Hope we can get back to that. will give the pit boys something to do on a Saturday and sunday other than panelbeat.
Old 5 May 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3534312)   #610
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I think (and hope) we have already reached rock bottom and the only way now is up.
I so hope you're right.
Old 13 May 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3537011)   #611
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
word on the back blocks is not many will buy in, they would rather use a car not locked into and buy into any thing with owen evans on the board. good luck with it all but its gone burgers
Old 13 May 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3537018)   #612
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
word on the back blocks is not many will buy in, they would rather use a car not locked into and buy into any thing with owen evans on the board. good luck with it all but its gone burgers
BP, unfortunately, you seem to have very little knowledge of the subject matter.

As a ST car owner I should know what I am talking about, so lets start with your quote "not many will buy in"

FYI. There is zero cost to be a shareholder in the new Cooperative Company, nor is there any restriction on were you can use your V8ST car, run it in a hill climb if you want to, do what ever "spins your wheels"

Owen Evans is but one of 3 directors of a board chaired by PJ [Peter Johnston] also Chairman of Rally New Zealand.

By singling out Owen Evans, you are in fact suggesting that its a one man band, I can assure you that is not the case, and nor will it be.
Old 13 May 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3537020)   #613
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are any of the Super Tourers doing any of the winter endurance races?
Old 13 May 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3537023)   #614
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
Are any of the Super Tourers doing any of the winter endurance races?

Ant Peterson and Tim Edgell are both running their supertourers in the Endurance Series.
Old 13 May 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3537213)   #615
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
More mud slinging BP? If you had even half a clue, you would know Owen Evans has done more to unite the divided V8 classes in a couple of weeks, than Budd and his merry men have achieved in years. You remind me of the current Labour leader; angry, bitter and devoid of new ideas.
Old 13 May 2015, 23:01 (Ref:3537258)   #616
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like Andrew Little - or are you talking about Ed Miliband?
Old 14 May 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3537335)   #617
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
BP, unfortunately, you seem to have very little knowledge of the subject matter.

As a ST car owner I should know what I am talking about, so lets start with your quote "not many will buy in"

FYI. There is zero cost to be a shareholder in the new Cooperative Company, nor is there any restriction on were you can use your V8ST car, run it in a hill climb if you want to, do what ever "spins your wheels"

Owen Evans is but one of 3 directors of a board chaired by PJ [Peter Johnston] also Chairman of Rally New Zealand.

By singling out Owen Evans, you are in fact suggesting that its a one man band, I can assure you that is not the case, and nor will it be.
so do the cars have to run as spec? as headlights are being wired up for the endurauce races, more rule stuff that has never been enforced.

spare parts for the cars? minimal I know for fact, your trying to restart a dead thing.
Old 14 May 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3537341)   #618
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Having Super Tourers able to run when and where they like seems to be eminently sensible to me.

If they are running in an endurance race, why do they have to 'run to spec'?

Seems as if some can't see a way forward whilst others seem to have (at last) embraced the idea that we (always) need cars out on the track and are doing something positive about it.

For some of us, a large field of saloons, GTs or sports cars of any capacity, regardless of from how many different concepts and no matter how diverse or even with speed differentials, is still motor-racing. Half a dozen identical cars scattered around a 3km track is not motor-racing.
Old 14 May 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3537497)   #619
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I like Andrew Little - or are you talking about Ed Miliband?
We're off-topic BG, but I meant Angry Little.
Old 15 May 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3537850)   #620
Wattie
Rookie

Wattie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so do the cars have to run as spec? as headlights are being wired up for the endurauce races, more rule stuff that has never been enforced.

spare parts for the cars? minimal I know for fact, your trying to restart a dead thing.
Not sure what you mean - "headlights", nowhere in Schedule A, Z or the SI Endurance (haven't seen NI regs!) regs is there a requirement for head lights?
Old 16 May 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3538024)   #621
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattie View Post
Not sure what you mean - "headlights", nowhere in Schedule A, Z or the SI Endurance (haven't seen NI regs!) regs is there a requirement for head lights?
Control parts for a st if they wish to stay in the magic world, but mark will pull me up about this.
Old 17 May 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3538698)   #622
darscochuck
Rookie

darscochuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so what progress has been made? who is on the board? what was the reception by the shareholders? was it a good turn out by the drivers? is there going to be anything released to the general fan that is interested?
Old 18 May 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3538893)   #623
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darscochuck View Post
so what progress has been made? who is on the board? what was the reception by the shareholders? was it a good turn out by the drivers? is there going to be anything released to the general fan that is interested?
Andres dad, evans and petch is in charge of parts.
Old 18 May 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3538989)   #624
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Andres dad, Evans and petch is in charge of parts.
BP, your post above just demonstrates that you know very little of what the structure of the new Cooperative Company is, and the business of that entity.

Here are the fact's.

The shareholders of the new Company, yet to be formed, are any and all of the V8 Supertourer car owners should they wish to take up their allocation of shares in the Company. At this point in time 12 car owners have indicated they wish to do so.

The Company will not employ any personal and will not run its own events.

The spare parts are owned by the Company, and any share holder that wishes to be responsible for selling any control part or parts, will sign a supply agreement with the Company and be allocated that part or parts on a consignment basis. Several share holders have indicated that they would like to stock and distribute certain parts on an ongoing basis, and the new board will make decisions on who they believe is best suited to sell a particular Control part or parts thereof.

The Chairman of the Board is Peter Johnston also the Chairman of Rally New Zealand, the Director's of the yet to be formed new Company, are Mark Heimgartner, Owen Evans and one other director to be ratified by the new Board this week.

I am not a Director, nor will I be a Director of the new Company, nor am in charge of the control parts and nor will I be.

My family Company Racer Products Limited [formally known as Autoquip] will continue to supply Brembo brakes part's, KW Suspension parts for which it has exclusive New Zealand Distribution rights for, directly to the Competitor as it has done since the Category was formed.

Competitor's will also now be able to purchase the Hankook Control tyre's directly off the importer Value Tyre's Limited.

Sub Committees yet to be appointed will be responsible for Technical matter's, Sporting matter's, and Commercial matter's, members of these committees have yet to appointed, all of the committee members will be on a voluntary basis.
Old 19 May 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3539246)   #625
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
BP, your post above just demonstrates that you know very little of what the structure of the new Cooperative Company is, and the business of that entity.

Here are the fact's.

The shareholders of the new Company, yet to be formed, are any and all of the V8 Supertourer car owners should they wish to take up their allocation of shares in the Company. At this point in time 12 car owners have indicated they wish to do so.

The Company will not employ any personal and will not run its own events.

The spare parts are owned by the Company, and any share holder that wishes to be responsible for selling any control part or parts, will sign a supply agreement with the Company and be allocated that part or parts on a consignment basis. Several share holders have indicated that they would like to stock and distribute certain parts on an ongoing basis, and the new board will make decisions on who they believe is best suited to sell a particular Control part or parts thereof.

The Chairman of the Board is Peter Johnston also the Chairman of Rally New Zealand, the Director's of the yet to be formed new Company, are Mark Heimgartner, Owen Evans and one other director to be ratified by the new Board this week.

I am not a Director, nor will I be a Director of the new Company, nor am in charge of the control parts and nor will I be.

My family Company Racer Products Limited [formally known as Autoquip] will continue to supply Brembo brakes part's, KW Suspension parts for which it has exclusive New Zealand Distribution rights for, directly to the Competitor as it has done since the Category was formed.

Competitor's will also now be able to purchase the Hankook Control tyre's directly off the importer Value Tyre's Limited.

Sub Committees yet to be appointed will be responsible for Technical matter's, Sporting matter's, and Commercial matter's, members of these committees have yet to appointed, all of the committee members will be on a voluntary basis.
Sorry but if that is the case why would anyone bother? go use the car else where instead of supporting a lost structure that a few tend to keep alive for there own benefit, why would anyone have to buy parts of them, tech hasn't done much and if your not going to be into promotion for self standing events.... gone let the rich boys play with each others egos.