Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Nov 2020, 21:22 (Ref:4015551)   #276
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yep fair do's to Barwell Collard and Mitchell!

However I am another who zoned out although i did give it until well into the 2nd hour.

The field was good, some of the racing great, liked the coverage. Just didn't grab me like I expected.
Old 8 Nov 2020, 23:13 (Ref:4015562)   #277
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I say, I enjoyed it a lot and three hours (although still quite short ) held my interest throughout. Collard did a brilliant job, still very quick indeed and his co-driver is no slouch either.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 00:15 (Ref:4015568)   #278
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Not sure who the third commentator was who kept calling the new section of Silverstone "Rubbish 1 and Rubbish 2" but if his mic could've quietly been silenced it may have improved the coverage a tad.
Joe Osbourne? Glad I wasn't the only one.

I thought that was a very good race, especially since I'm not a fan of Silverstone. Congratulations to Rob and Sandy, shows what a 50-something touring car veteran can do!
Old 9 Nov 2020, 09:40 (Ref:4015603)   #279
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Osbourne, he's not afraid to call a spade a spade. And let's be honest, the newer section of Silverstone is rubbish. Might as well call Club "Rubbish 3" while we're at it.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4015604)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He has his own opinions, but it doesn't mean we necessarily agree with him. I think Silverstone is fine. Plenty of layouts you can use there depending on what floats you boat. Club is a tough corner to me
Old 9 Nov 2020, 09:49 (Ref:4015606)   #281
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I actually like Club, that is why when i am allowed to attend i watch quite a lot of the race from there.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 10:20 (Ref:4015611)   #282
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also watched the whole race yesterday afternoon and I really enjoyed as well. I also agree with other the comments about Rob Collard he has done an amazing job this year as a GT3 car is different beast to the NGTC car.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 10:21 (Ref:4015612)   #283
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone gets a bad rap. Whilst I miss the old Bridge corner, the rest of the circuit is fantastic. The new Abbey and Farm combo is great. Brooklands is unique. Woodcote all the way down to Vale is one of the best layouts in all of racing. Club isn't exactly a great drivers corner but the new exit onto the pit straight is interesting and sets up good racing.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 10:35 (Ref:4015616)   #284
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Silverstone gets a bad rap. Whilst I miss the old Bridge corner, the rest of the circuit is fantastic. The new Abbey and Farm combo is great. Brooklands is unique. Woodcote all the way down to Vale is one of the best layouts in all of racing. Club isn't exactly a great drivers corner but the new exit onto the pit straight is interesting and sets up good racing.
As a driver on the GP circuit I struggle to find the braking point for Abbey, but that's made up for by Brooklands which is just WOW.
Still prefer Donington though, Redgate, through the Craners to the Old Hairpin is really awesome and then you've still got Coppice.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:08 (Ref:4015660)   #285
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It has some great corners, but I'm not convinced the available angles make it good viewing for TV. A lot of them seem to be miles away from anything and make the track look even wider than it actually is, especially on Wellington and Hangar Straights
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4015671)   #286
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty standard to place cameras at the end of straights so it can see the whole thing, though?
Old 9 Nov 2020, 19:24 (Ref:4015715)   #287
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the whole race on catch up today and thoroughly enjoyed it, loved the in car camera work and overall I thought the commentary and coverage was pretty good. Great result for Rob Collard and co. and JB made a good fist of it considering the relatively late call using effectively a McLaren test car.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 19:42 (Ref:4015717)   #288
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty standard to place cameras at the end of straights so it can see the whole thing, though?
Absolutely, there's no other place to have them at Silverstone, just saying that it doesn't help make it look interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Nov 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4015728)   #289
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they capture enough of the spectacle of Silverstone. It’s hard when the cameras are so far away from the track, but the camera angles are fine to me
Old 10 Nov 2020, 17:45 (Ref:4015877)   #290
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
I like Osbourne, he's not afraid to call a spade a spade. And let's be honest, the newer section of Silverstone is rubbish. Might as well call Club "Rubbish 3" while we're at it.
Not really

While not at it's peak of the 80s layout, the new for 2010 design did a lot to correct the rot that set in through various layout changes to the grand prix layout in the 90s

Bridge was a fairly nothing corner in its day and did nothing to promote overtaking, wheras the "rubbish 1, 2 and 3" have all seen overtakes happen through various races, including side by side finishes in the ginettas previous to the British GT, something that Mr Osborne singlularly failed to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with his blinkered "everything new is rubbish" view of the world

Plus they keep cars nice and close for a slipstream down the wellington straight too, all in all a great addition and a bit more high speed stuff too than the twisty, boring, laboured abbey chicane into bridge and luffield complext that was a waste of time when it came to trying to get cars to overtake each other.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 17:59 (Ref:4015878)   #291
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Bridge was a fairly nothing corner in its day
lol.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 18:22 (Ref:4015880)   #292
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
lol.
I guess I'm thinking from an F1 perspective, but it was easily flat by the time they stopped using it, and wasn't an overtaking spot no matter what Damon Hill thought.

We haven't lost anything by not using it tbh, and we bypass a clumsy, needless chicane before it too.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 18:57 (Ref:4015888)   #293
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Standing at Bridge watching anything go through flat (as I often did in the past) was always a highlight of a visit to the GP circuit for me. In fact, even now, when I go (normally only for WEC these days) at some time while I'm there I always walk round the corner on the way to watch from Luffield.

That chicane was a bit of a pain though....
Old 10 Nov 2020, 19:11 (Ref:4015890)   #294
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
We can invalidate most of Spa if we use criteria such as "flat in an F1 car" and "not an overtaking spot" to decide what's a bad corner.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 20:24 (Ref:4015897)   #295
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I suspect the reason he calls it Rubbish is as a driver, because those corners really not as fun to drive

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Nov 2020, 12:51 (Ref:4016498)   #296
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a bit disappointed with the race last weekend. I really wanted to see at least 30 minutes of clear green flag racing at the start and a safety later on and not at the beginning. If we had I'm sure Baldwin would have been hassling collard and could have made things a bit more tense.

I'm also really disappointed by this new rule of no silver silver driver pairings. It's been so successful this year so why change? It now means that someone like Rob Collard won't be able to defend his overall title unless he gets downgraded to an AM driver but can't see that happening.
Old 11 Dec 2020, 09:24 (Ref:4022132)   #297
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jonny Adam and Andrew Howard back in the Beechdean AMR Vantage GT3 for 2021.

Second GT3 confirmed

Any Mods want to change the thread name to 2021 please?
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:46 (Ref:4022175)   #298
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

Any Mods want to change the thread name to 2021 please?

Why not easy make a new one...