Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 Feb 2020, 00:57 (Ref:3958123)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm hoping Gibbs was on the radio and heard confirmation he was ok. He did hold the celebration and prayer a min listening to the radio so maybe positive. Although I guess Nascar thinks no one cares and would rather see ads
Yeah, hope Ryan is okay cause that felt quite tacky, all round.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:00 (Ref:3958124)   #52
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Especially after that hit from LaJoie to the roof. That was an insane hard hit and crushed the roof

In Hamlin's defense I don't think he knew anything in the car. But that's on the team
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:05 (Ref:3958125)   #53
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Especially after that hit from LaJoie to the roof. That was an insane hard hit and crushed the roof

In Hamlin's defense I don't think he knew anything in the car. But that's on the team
Agree to that.

A little more subdued now. I don't like it.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:06 (Ref:3958126)   #54
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In many ways the crash is very similar to Dale Sr.'s massive crash at Talladega in 1996. Newman went higher into the air, though.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:09 (Ref:3958127)   #55
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Agree to that.

A little more subdued now. I don't like it.
Exactly that. Hearing Jeff Gordon very subdued and quiet, looking down. I could only think the end of Daytona with Sr and very much hope that's not true but I feel it is
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:12 (Ref:3958128)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
In many ways the crash is very similar to Dale Sr.'s massive crash at Talladega in 1996. Newman went higher into the air, though.
Newman's car got hit at a really bad point....
Quote:
Exactly that. Hearing Jeff Gordon very subdued and quiet, looking down. I could only think the end of Daytona with Sr and very much hope that's not true but I feel it is
Jeff's words and demeanor are certainly troubling.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:17 (Ref:3958129)   #57
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was really horrible, I hope for the best but have to say given the announcers at the end fear the worst.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 01:20 (Ref:3958130)   #58
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Until the last 20 laps when it turned into a crash fest I thought the race was really good, one of the best super speedway races for a long time.

Horrendous accident, I pray Newman is ok, really wish FOX didn’t show the slow mo because the way the passenger side of the car deformed was sickening. Hoping for the best.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 02:49 (Ref:3958143)   #59
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Horrendous accident, I pray Newman is ok, really wish FOX didn’t show the slow mo because the way the passenger side of the car deformed was sickening. Hoping for the best.
Me too - although should point out it was the driver side that was hit and deformed. Sickening shunt, got everything crossed for him just now.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 02:50 (Ref:3958144)   #60
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was a bit behind (I went to work).

Still no news?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:01 (Ref:3958145)   #61
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Still no news?
Press conference at NASCAR as we type.....

jimclark
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:02 (Ref:3958146)   #62
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Me too - although should point out it was the driver side that was hit and deformed. Sickening shunt, got everything crossed for him just now.
Yes. The hit was right above the driver's head.

Quote:

Still no news?
Nope. I read somewhere that he wasn't responsive on first arrival by the safety crew, but was "helped" from the car...transferred to hospital. I've seen a lot of other things across the Twittersferes, with one being an update is coming soon...

Edit: hearing he's "stable", with serious injuries, but not life threatening.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:06 (Ref:3958147)   #63
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Phewwww....

jimclark
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:07 (Ref:3958148)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s times like this that you don’t know whether to check Twitter. It adds little value.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:07 (Ref:3958149)   #65
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Just released

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/12...170112514?s=20
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:10 (Ref:3958150)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Official on Twitter is fine

Phew indeed. Let’s hope for a full and speedy recovery.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:12 (Ref:3958151)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And let’s stop with the theatrics of photos of him and his kids. I understand the importance and seriousness already.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:13 (Ref:3958152)   #68
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Official on Twitter is fine

Phew indeed. Let’s hope for a full and speedy recovery.
Yeah, nothing worse than "media" reporting what they've heard without sources. And they try to hide behind the multiple reports have said. That's speculating and thankfully a few have been called out and hopefully get censured by their managers for it

Yeah, the constant pictures and replay and family feels invasive. Especially the slow-mo replays over and over in FS1. They at least have reported and covered the statements fairly clearly but they need to provide the information and leave it at that. Let the breakdown of the video wait.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:20 (Ref:3958153)   #69
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It’s times like this that you don’t know whether to check Twitter. It adds little value.
Got to weed through the BS!

Quote:
And let’s stop with the theatrics of photos of him and his kids. I understand the importance and seriousness already.
Yeah that was lame. Especially since last week he went public about his pending divorce. Not a good start to 2020 for Ryan.

Quote:
Great news!
Old 18 Feb 2020, 07:47 (Ref:3958167)   #70
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Went to bed not long after seeing Kevin Harvick pit to get his back end straightened. Lap 60 or 70 or something like that.

Sad to hear about Ryan. Hope he's OK, won't be watching the rest of the race on replay - hate these awful "accidents" that seem to be a staple part of plate racing.

Do wish someone would literally wipe Logano off the face of the Earth before his idiotic behaviour kills others. He's arrogant, stupid and dangerous. Roger Penske should fire him at the very least - how many of his cars has Logano wrecked this week?

Last edited by Alfisti; 18 Feb 2020 at 08:06.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 10:00 (Ref:3958180)   #71
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news to wake up to. I stayed up until 3 am, waiting on word, but finally had to throw in the towel.

As for the race, I expect NASCAR to look at the rules regarding the locking of bumpers after this. Perhaps the Cup Series should use the same rules as the Xfinity series and trucks, after all.

Also, I'd like to see them ban blocking while at the same time make some changes that increase the effect of the draft. Bring back the true slingshot.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3958210)   #72
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
There's many ways to "fix" plate racing, but they won't do it. While we can throw lots around about driving standards, this type of racing, where the biggest trophy in stockcar racing is up for grabs, this kind of aggression will persist.

And the "action" of the race means I won't bother with the other plate tracks (and perhaps many others) this year.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 13:20 (Ref:3958219)   #73
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, the action isn't much better at Atlanta or Texas either. Cars end up just as bunched and get a big one there. They just don't have a presenting sponsor of the "big one" other than Daytona and Talladega. It's almost time for a hp cut at the tracks instead of the claimed boost they ere given this year. More power does not help the race and more power and worse standards means worse racing.

But this is the same network that thinks the XFL is going to end college football in the next 10 years so. And Fox gets to bend Nascar's ear when it comes to rules packages to get the ratings
Old 18 Feb 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3958331)   #74
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Good news from this afternoon

https://racer.com/2020/02/18/newman-...-team-reports/
Old 18 Feb 2020, 22:22 (Ref:3958340)   #75
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
That's great news.

Hopefully the big man will make a full and speedy recovery.