Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: If Hakkinen hadn't retired, would he have made a difference in 2002?
Yes 9 29.03%
No 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Dec 2002, 19:36 (Ref:455015)   #26
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
If Mika had been around things may have been ever so slightly more boring.

Mika and Kimi at a press conference, just of the fun we've missed!

If Mika had been about it would have been no different. Mika had a bit of a tendency to give up when he wasn't winning and I think it would have driven him mad being in a car no where near the Ferrari's.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 05:13 (Ref:455949)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Damon, think of the post race press conference with Mika and Kimi on the podium: Mika: "Hmm, yes...excellent result." Kimi: "For sure."

The thudding sound you hear are the reporters, sound asleep, falling out of their chairs...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 20:01 (Ref:456364)   #28
MrPress
Rookie

MrPress should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Ferrari was excellent. No current or previous driver could have stopped that package. Which is a pity.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 20:29 (Ref:457781)   #29
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Would this season have been any different had Hakkinen been around?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
I am thinking aloud here, but was Hakkinen's retirement the catalyst for Ferrari's dominance? He had an inferior car in 2001, but still beat Schumacher and Ferrari twice in 2001. So if Hakkinen hadn't retired, do you think he could have given Schumacher a run for his money this year? Or would he have ended up being beaten by David Coulthard?
Wake up! Mika was a nice guy but he was a journeyman that ended up in the best car. Pretty much like Schumi. They cannot win the title unless they have a dominant car. Probably Mika is a little bit better because he kind of fought his teammate on his way to the title.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 20:44 (Ref:457784)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I don't recall the Benetton as being "dominant." It is the day after Christmas but I thought I was awake...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:06 (Ref:457793)   #31
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Wich one? 94 or 95?
Brawn said not long ago that the F2002 was as good as the Benetton 94.
The 95 had the same engine as the Williams. Alesi set the fastest lap in his first testing outing which indicates that a more talented driver should have won in 95 with at least 4 races to go.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:10 (Ref:457796)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
More talented than who? Michael? Alesi? We are in danger of hijacking this thread, but there were a number of good cars on the grid in '94 and '95. I do not think the Benetton in '94 was as good as past Williams' have been and not nearly as dominant as the current Ferrari.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:17 (Ref:457801)   #33
TheGreatJuan
Racer

More talented than both.

Look at the stats in 94. That Benetton was really dominant. Its worse finish was 2nd. It won 10 races out of 14 races (remember that was banned for 2 races). If I were you I would take Brawn's word. He said the F2002 was as good as the Benetton 94

Obviusly we are talking about the Benetton that Schumi had. The good one. Not the crappy one that was given to his teammate.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 04:12 (Ref:458629)   #34
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definately think Mika could have taken it to Schumacher more than the rest of the guys did this season. Mika is probably even quicker than Schumacher over one single lap and he's always enjoyed fighting Michael. Raikonnen had awful reliability and made some mistakes...Coulthard did a good job especially at Monaco but he has never come close to Mika's pace....I also believe Mika had the ability and experience to beat the two Williams boys...especially Montoya.

So...yes...he would have made a difference..probably would have won a few more races but the title would still belong to the F2002.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 04:12 (Ref:458630)   #35
Mania
Veteran

I definately think Mika could have taken it to Schumacher more than the rest of the guys did this season. Mika is probably even quicker than Schumacher over one single lap and he's always enjoyed fighting Michael. Raikonnen had awful reliability and made some mistakes...Coulthard did a good job especially at Monaco but he has never come close to Mika's pace....I also believe Mika had the ability and experience to beat the two Williams boys...especially Montoya.

So...yes...he would have made a difference..probably would have won a few more races but the title would still belong to the F2002.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 04:12 (Ref:458631)   #36
Mania
Veteran