Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2003, 03:20 (Ref:559736)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid-field or backmarker teams with Ayrton Senna driving.

Well, with the Brazil GP almost here, memories of Ayrton Senna flooding back and a thread a while back on the possible results today's leading driver Michael Schumacher could achieve in a lesser team than the top three, I was contemplating what might happen if Senna drove for Jaguar, Minardi, Sauber etc?

Remembering of course that Senna won races in inferior cars regularly and made others look inadequate frequently, would would happen in a team without the resources of Mac, Williams, Ferrari if Senna was left to his own deveices?

Someone once commented that TGF is supremely good and has a good team as well, and he is known as a team motivator and gives clear technical direction. Senna was also from this mould but seemed to make something out of not much at all and operated outside the regulation of team plans/strategies and won races pretty much on his own call from the car- Donnington 93. Just my thoughts- any others?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Apr 2003, 04:06 (Ref:559748)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Jag or Sauber, Senna could be a championship contender, as he was with Lotus, but not even Nuvolari could get that Minardi lump past midfield, unless the weather turned sour. In the rain, all bets are off!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 6 Apr 2003 at 04:06.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 05:50 (Ref:559757)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if Senna could be a contendor in a Sauber or a Jag. Definantly a Renault, but below that, no one can be sure.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 06:04 (Ref:559764)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, maybe not a serious contender, but at least a credible outside threat?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 07:52 (Ref:559798)   #5
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Senna would be championship contender in Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. Maybe also Renault.

With Sauber, Jaguar, BAR, Toyota he would be regular point-scorer and would fight for the podium. With Jordan he would be regular pointscorer and with Minardi he would fight for the points.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 09:17 (Ref:559828)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I heard once that Senna said that in his final year of racing he would drive for Minardi for free , now that I would have loved to have seen

but I doubt he could win a race in it , maybe if luck went his way a podium was achievable , but a win i doubt very much.

I prefer to remember him for what he did , not what he could have done , he was a true racer and will never be forgotten.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 09:49 (Ref:559849)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Remembering of course that Senna won races in inferior cars regularly
Did he though?,the most inferior car he drove was the Toleman,he never won in that,his best drive in it was the accident marred Monaco race,and his team mate for that season was totally hopeless so its hard to compare how good he was there relatively and he left mid season.The Lotus,McLaren and Williams were all good race winning cars.
He would be quicker than the current pedallers in a mid feild or back marker car,but you are never going to win a horse race with a donkey.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 11:07 (Ref:559879)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Armco, I don't agree with that, on several levels. The 1993 McLaren was miles behind the Williams, and had a weaker engine than the Benetton (although it did have traction control), yet Senna won 5 times, 3 of them in the dry.

In 1994 the WIlliams was nowhere near equal to the Benetton - Hill only beat Schumacher in a straight fight once, in Japan, where strategy came into it. His other wins were down to Schumacher beign suspended, excluded or having technical problems.

Also, if you compare his results in 1987 at Lotus with Piquet's in 1988, considering that both were using teh championship-winning Honda engines, you can see that that wasn't really a race-winning car.

You can't base Senna' ability purely on 1984 - he'd come in as a rookie with no prior experience of the cars.

Based on all this, I think Senna could win races in this year's Renault or Williams, neither of which appear to be true contenders. I think he'd've won Malaysia in a Renault, and would be giantkilling in qualifying, even on the same strategies as the lead cars.

In one of the midfield cars he'd be able to score podiums, and maybe challenge for lucky / surprise wins in the wet. The enw rules give more chances to these teams, and put the onus back toward the driver and his strategies, especially the kind of heat-of-the-moment decisions Senna is famed for, and that'd play in his favour.

Wouldn't it be great to see Schumacher drive a season at Minardi, for free?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:21 (Ref:560768)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As great as Ayrton was, I think it's a bit too easy to get carried away with how quick he would be. Firstly, the modern technology in F1 means that a great driver (like Senna, Shuey etc.) will only be able to make a difference of a few tenths at most, whereas in the past he could make a bigger impact and influnec the reult more. That is why MS has been so strong - he is an incredible drive AND he gets the team round him - he has to.

Secondly, Senna DID have the best (or one of the best) cars during his career. the drives in 1993 were impressive, but I don't think the McLaren was that bad. Andretti's poor performances made it look worse than it was and Mika was quite competitive when he drove it. It's probably fair to say that driving against Hill (in his first full season) and Prost (passed his best, though obviously still competitive) gave him scope to demonstrate his amazing abilities.

The 1994 Williams was near the equal of the Benetton, but it was tricky to drive. This, combined with MS's increasing pace, put a lot of pressure on Ayrton and Williams, winess his spin at Interlagos. The point is that neither the '93 McLaren or '94 Williams can really be compared to this years Jaguar, Sauber, and maybe even the Renault.

I must admit, though, that it would have been great to see him and Schuey go head-to-head.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:31 (Ref:560784)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He would have won today in the Jordan
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:560786)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The real rain master!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 08:02 (Ref:561162)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots, Schumacher wouldn't contemplate a season at Minardi especially for free, though I too would absolutely love to see it. TGF stripped of everything he has come to know and expect- massive budget, the best of everything and his shadows Brawn and Byrne, team orders....

KRT, the 93 McLaren wasn't a "bad car" in the backmarker sense of the word but even McLarens's persuasive tactics to convince Senna to drive it were a tell-tale sign- his last-minute arrival from Brazil to Imola and the race by race situation he proposed. It was fitted with the lower-spec Ford engine compared with the Bennetton yet Senna made lemonade out of lemons.

In Brazil this year, in those conditions, you wouldn't see which way he went. Be honest and think about it- arguably that was the most chaotic race for years and he would have done a "Donnington" and shat on them.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Apr 2003, 08:34 (Ref:561192)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
He would have won today in the Jordan
Wow, that was cruel.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 12:03 (Ref:561453)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Hardt
Wow, that was cruel.
Why?

Are you seriously suggesting that Fisichella is in the same league as Senna (would have been)....?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 12:35 (Ref:561517)   #15
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wouldn't it be great to see Schumacher drive a season at Minardi, for free?

Yes but only if the damn thing was reliable otherwise it would be **** to see him break the thing every race.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 12:55 (Ref:561555)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by 903cc
Yes but only if the damn thing was reliable otherwise it would be **** to see him break the thing every race.
Not really. It would certainly be interesting to see how he performed in it and whether his input could improve it (within their non-existent budget, of course).
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:561589)   #17
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Why?

Are you seriously suggesting that Fisichella is in the same league as Senna (would have been)....?

No....I have accidentally read "would not" instead of "would". Don't worry, I admire Senna, especially because he shared my opinion of best F1 track.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:34 (Ref:561614)   #18
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Aside from any suggestion I wouldn't think their leagues (lonely ones still ..) to be very distant. Fisi is less magic than Senna yet technically far more master. The speed difference would be hard to predict.