Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4049410)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
so Lewis actualy asked for blue flags when he was behind Checo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBp1AKnOSo

Note to Lewis: not every Red Bull no 2 is incapable of keeping up!
Old 3 May 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4049421)   #52
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
so Lewis actualy asked for blue flags when he was behind Checo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBp1AKnOSo
This came to mind while everyone has been giving Mazepin grief. So while Mazepin may have had trouble staying out of the way, Lewis apparently wasn't sure who he was chasing down and passing!

Richard
Old 3 May 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4049463)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was funny.

Although I don’t really see the comparison to Mazepin, other than both situations were related to blue flags. Goes to show how unusual it is for Red Bull to have two cars near the front recently and also how slow Perez was going at that point.

But I don’t want to distract from the humor of the moment.
Old 3 May 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4049478)   #54
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Mercedes should have pitted Bottas a lap later, which would have meant that Red Bull would not have had the option to let Verstappen have a go at fastest lap.
I think Mercedes made a serious strategy error. Letting Perez get the fastest lap point wouldn't be much of a problem to Mercedes. But then they stopped Bottas for a go at Fastest Lap and that opened a gap for Verstappen to do the same. It was only Verstappen"s error due to pushing too hard that saved that point for Mercedes.
Old 3 May 2021, 21:40 (Ref:4049508)   #55
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Although I don’t really see the comparison to Mazepin, other than both situations were related to blue flags.
Situational awareness? Understanding what is happening around you perhaps.
Old 3 May 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4049517)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One is spacial awareness, using your mirrors and looking at the flag marshals. In a situation that happens a lot to you. I think Mazepin is even more used to being lapped than spinning.

The other is knowing what position a driver who you’ve not seen all day is in. One who is as likely to be one lap down as being in the lead because he’s running an unusual strategy. Indeed Lewis was looking at the flag marshals, unlike Mazepin, and wondered why, had the presence of mind to get on the radio and query why and then be informed of the situation.

It’s tenuous comparison at best.

It’s not important though.

However it was funny.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 May 2021 at 23:08.
Old 4 May 2021, 08:27 (Ref:4049551)   #57
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just a shame the dreaded track limits came up again.
I don't have a problem with "track limits" per se. Just the shambolic and inconsistent way they are policed. Broadly, there are three possible solutions:

1. Let the drivers drive off the track wherever and whenever they like, without penalty.

2. Rigidly apply penalties whenever a car goes outside the white line that defines the track.

3. Re-engineer the tracks so that there is a definite and clearcut natural penalty for going beyond track limits. (The barriers do the job wonderfully at Monaco, and the drivers show that they can drive within track limits when they are required to.)
Old 4 May 2021, 09:20 (Ref:4049564)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I don't have a problem with "track limits" per se. Just the shambolic and inconsistent way they are policed.
Agreed.

Quote:
Broadly, there are three possible solutions:

1. Let the drivers drive off the track wherever and whenever they like, without penalty.
Can't see that working and I think you offer it more for balance than a possible option.

Quote:
2. Rigidly apply penalties whenever a car goes outside the white line that defines the track.
This is what it should be. (I speak from recent experience at Donington )

Quote:
3. Re-engineer the tracks so that there is a definite and clearcut natural penalty for going beyond track limits. (The barriers do the job wonderfully at Monaco, and the drivers show that they can drive within track limits when they are required to.)
Difficulty, as highlighted by CH the tracks have to cope with bikes and cars so the kerbs can't be too much of a penalty. Also the lack of grass or gravel is due to the possibility that a car leaving the circuit at speed will become airborne and/or roll. I don't think bike like gravel either.
Old 4 May 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4049574)   #59
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is what it should be. (I speak from recent experience at Donington )
Ah, you managed to trigger Mr Palmer's sensors, did you? I'm so pleased that system works as it saves me making radio calls every lap

Quote:
Difficulty, as highlighted by CH the tracks have to cope with bikes and cars so the kerbs can't be too much of a penalty. Also the lack of grass or gravel is due to the possibility that a car leaving the circuit at speed will become airborne and/or roll. I don't think bike like gravel either.
Agreed. Making the tracks themselves less dangerous to *all* who might race on them means that compromises are reached in so many ways - spectators are further away, run-off can be used as track, etc etc. Speaking from personal experience as someone going out to a club driver who's just dropped it into the same gravel trap for the third time that day, it can be pretty annoying for them (as Peter will no doubt attest!) to lose your hard-paid-for track time due to a fairly minor mistake. I was in no doubt that day how angry the driver was with the world!

It is, however, the (in)consistency which matters. As mentioned above, Donington, Oulton Park and Brands Hatch (definitely) plus Snetterton (possibly?) have sensors with cameras pointing at them at the major track limits zones. In Donington's case - exit of Redgate, exit of the Old Hairpin, exit of Mcleans and I think at the exit of the final corner, Robert's. There is no disputing the photos - they're available to the clerk within a few seconds of being taken.

If that can be applied at a historic meeting or in a novice's race at a club meeting, plus in the BTCC, I can't see it being too hard to adopt internationally.

Saying that... HM's words have been very carefully chosen. He's making it look like the FIA have deliberately taken positions/points/wins and therefore money away from his team by the application of a rule with which he (at this time) disagrees. If it was Mercedes being penalised, I expect he'd be rather quieter about it...
Old 4 May 2021, 11:10 (Ref:4049579)   #60
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Portimao - Specialized Bike Circuit - Pretty much all Gravel

Old 4 May 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4049580)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If it was Mercedes being penalised, I expect he'd be rather quieter about it...
No doubt at all!
Old 4 May 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4049583)   #62
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It is, however, the (in)consistency which matters. As mentioned above, Donington, Oulton Park and Brands Hatch (definitely) plus Snetterton (possibly?) have sensors with cameras pointing at them at the major track limits zones. In Donington's case - exit of Redgate, exit of the Old Hairpin, exit of Mcleans and I think at the exit of the final corner, Robert's. There is no disputing the photos - they're available to the clerk within a few seconds of being taken.

If that can be applied at a historic meeting or in a novice's race at a club meeting, plus in the BTCC, I can't see it being too hard to adopt internationally.

Saying that... HM's words have been very carefully chosen. He's making it look like the FIA have deliberately taken positions/points/wins and therefore money away from his team by the application of a rule with which he (at this time) disagrees. If it was Mercedes being penalised, I expect he'd be rather quieter about it...
The salient point is: NO Exceptions.

I think that Helmut has a fair point when the Merc driver goes off the track 29 times in the race, and Max goes off once and has to keep the place back.
No lasting advantage, really?
Old 4 May 2021, 11:32 (Ref:4049587)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The salient point is: NO Exceptions.

I think that Helmut has a fair point when the Merc driver goes off the track 29 times in the race, and Max goes off once and has to keep the place back.
No lasting advantage, really?
Which race are we discussing?
Old 4 May 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4049590)   #64
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The track limit stuff should be sorted before race
Understand at Imola they changed rules half way through race so the Marko remark is irrelevant.
Turn14 was stated as one of the corners being checked in Portugal so it’s a sod but he did get an advantage and probably the difference between his time and Bottas?
In golf it’s called the rub of the green and over the season it should even out.
LH will perceive he gets screwed somewhere as will Max.
It’s called sport.
Old 4 May 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4049610)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I said before, just put a deterrent in places drivers are likely to gain an advantage by running wide. And to think it was a lot more clear cut when drivers only gained advantages from cutting chicanes
Old 4 May 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4049645)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Y'know, I've lost count of the number of laps I've done around there and never thought of it as a bike circuit. That said if you look at where the track limits problems appear there is tarmac run off before the gravel.
Old 4 May 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4049709)   #67
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As an aged club driver I agree that (a)consistency is needed and also (b) that if Mr Palmer can provide instant photographic evidence of triggering a sensor it shouldn't be beyond the the capability of the organisers of "the pinnacle of the sport"
Old 4 May 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4049721)   #68
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
So.

There were
18 lap times deleted for running wide in the race
7 lap times deleted for running wide in qualifying
88 lap times deleted for running wide in practice

But somehow because Max loses a point it’s unfair and inconsistent.....
Old 4 May 2021, 22:29 (Ref:4049735)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought this was an interested article.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...n-win/6502259/
Old 5 May 2021, 06:12 (Ref:4049755)   #70
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought this was an interested article.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...n-win/6502259/
Indeed. Hamilton was quite mindful about this in the post-race interview when asked about this. He started answering the question visibly very thoughtful on what to say. He stopped answering the question on how he used his tyres differently during the race saying something like: "I should not say much more". Probably not wanting to make Red Bull any wiser on what going on.
Old 5 May 2021, 12:42 (Ref:4049824)   #71
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 1 day headline of VB denying him of his 100th pole clearly doesnt bother him.

A driver needs to take the long approach to these overpacked seasons.
Old 5 May 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4049853)   #72
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed. Making the tracks themselves less dangerous to *all* who might race on them means that compromises are reached in so many ways - spectators are further away, run-off can be used as track, etc etc. Speaking from personal experience as someone going out to a club driver who's just dropped it into the same gravel trap for the third time that day, it can be pretty annoying for them (as Peter will no doubt attest!) to lose your hard-paid-for track time due to a fairly minor mistake. I was in no doubt that day how angry the driver was with the world!

Quote:

What do you guys think about applying a 1.5m strip of low grip surface directly next to the kerb, it being grass, gravel astroturf or whatever is found most suitable?

1.5m would seem barely seem enough to flip a bike over, especially when a suitable surface is chosen. I would see the following advantages:

1 Automatically penalized without need to for the director to intervene or us or teambosses to get upset about anything.
2 Does take much room
3 Is not unsafe for bikes
4 Does not brakes cars like Austrian sausages

5 It's cheap to realize.
6 Errors are penalized but are not directly race ending (might be seen as positive or negative depend of ones POV.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 6 May 2021, 15:05 (Ref:4050081)   #73
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
What do you guys think about applying a 1.5m strip of low grip surface directly next to the kerb, it being grass, gravel astroturf or whatever is found most suitable?

1.5m would seem barely seem enough to flip a bike over, especially when a suitable surface is chosen. I would see the following advantages:

1 Automatically penalized without need to for the director to intervene or us or teambosses to get upset about anything.
2 Does take much room
3 Is not unsafe for bikes
4 Does not brakes cars like Austrian sausages

5 It's cheap to realize.
6 Errors are penalized but are not directly race ending (might be seen as positive or negative depend of ones POV.
I like it. I would make it more like 3m wide though (ie wider than a F1 car). It would also need to be VERY low grip, as the current painted kerbs are probably somewhat lower friction than the tarmac but that doesn't dissuade drivers from using them.
Old 7 May 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4050148)   #74
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I like it. I would make it more like 3m wide though (ie wider than a F1 car). It would also need to be VERY low grip, as the current painted kerbs are probably somewhat lower friction than the tarmac but that doesn't dissuade drivers from using them.

Yes the grip would need to be chosen such that it is always the slower and more risky option than staying on the track/kerb.

It would turn the track into track again. Meaning that you have the track (the tarmac) and then you have your margin of error; the kerb. That's it. The farther you decide to use the kerb the more risk of loosing it (like it used to be).

Now it's more like, yeah I go over the kerb and end up somewhere beside the track and well, we'll see what happens.

Quote:
2 Does take much room

Meant to say of course it does not take much room.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 7 May 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4050158)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

Max is now hoping for better run off solutions

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...mits-solution/