Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New owners could focus on streets - RM

Robin on Owners, PT, Dario, and Ciggys
http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/0810/1593430.html

New owners could focus on streets
By Robin Miller
Special to ESPN.com

LEXINGTON, Ohio -- Championship Auto Racing Teams figures to get some new owners in the immediate future and will have a new look in 2004, providing all the dominoes fall into place.

It will still be called Champ Car and feature all turbocharged Ford/Cosworth engines, but what has been the most challenging test in auto racing for the past 24 years will no longer sport four types of tracks or as many dates, according to various sources within the CART paddock.

For the first time in its history there will be no superspeedways and only one oval as CART circles its wagons and tries to play to its strengths.

The European stops at England and Germany will be dropped, in addition to the two-mile superspeedway at Fontana, Calif. And it appears CART will be all road courses and street circuits next year except for the legendary Milwaukee Mile.

"We've got to do whatever is necessary for our series to get better and if it's better to run all road races then lets do it," said Alex Tagliani. "Sure, all of us drivers love the different disciplines but this isn't about what we want.

"It's about what makes the best business sense."

Since the open-wheel racing split in 1996 attendance at oval tracks in CART and the Indy Racing League has suffered. CART staged some of its best racing ever at Michigan from 1997-2001 but saw the crowds plummet from 80,000 to 30,000. The IRL drew 30,000 two weeks ago at Michigan.

Even though it makes for CART's most exciting shows, only three ovals (Germany, Milwaukee and Fontana) are on this year's schedule.

"I love Phoenix, Michigan, Fontana but look what the fans are telling Tony George," said Jim McGee, president of Patrick Racing who is in his fifth decade of Champ Car racing. "They're telling him they don't want Homestead, Nazareth, Phoenix, St. Louis and Michigan.

"We all want to run ovals but not at the expense of putting yourself out of business."

Paul Tracy has excelled on all disciplines during his 13 seasons but understands the change in priorities.

"There's a lot of stuff going on at street races. Concerts, volleyball, beer gardens, pretty women," said Tracy. "And it's easier for people to get in and out of the track.

"We haven't been able to translate that kind of fun to our rural tracks and, as much as we like to run them, you can't afford to have a great track that's an eyesore for TV coverage."

Adrian Fernandez, the lone owner/driver in CART who also fields a team in the IRL, doesn't think it will be that big a departure from 2003.

"We've only got three ovals this year so I don't see it a big deal if we go to all road racing," said the 40-year-old veteran. "It certainly wouldn't bother my sponsors and I think it would be better for CART.

"It wouldn't be so confusing for people. The IRL runs ovals and we road race. I think it would be a good thing."

As of today, eight street circuits (Monterrey, Long Beach, St. Petersburg, Toronto, Vancouver, Australia, Denver and Miami) are signed up for 2004. The permanent road courses of Laguna Seca (which has requested a return to the fall because of its terrible turnouts the past two Junes), Montreal, Mexico City, Portland and Elkhart Lake have contracts for '04 while Mid-Ohio's ended Sunday. There is a contract with Cleveland (airport layout) but no promoters at the moment.

CART promotes Miami and co-promotes Denver and St. Pete and will likely have to take over Cleveland to keep it going. Milwaukee, which hosts its initial IRL race next July, is in the first of a three-year deal with Champ Car.

There is also a possibility a street show in Houston could be added for 2004.

Bobby Rahal doesn't have a problem with segregating but also doesn't want to hear that Elkhart Lake, Laguna Seca or Mid-Ohio might be endangered species.

"I don't think Elkhart Lake or Mid-Ohio have anything to do with the situation CART is in," said the three-time CART champion who fields a car in each series, plus Toyota Atlantics.

"They're the crown jewels of this series and it would be a crime for us not to be here or at one of those permanent places in CART's history."

Of course many people figured CART would be history at the end of 2003 since its bank account has been drained by an estimated $70 million to fund several new teams and pay for televising its races.

If new ownership injects enough money into the kitty to keep the current 19 cars on track and pay for TV, CART is banking on a reduced schedule, reduced costs and successes in Canada, Mexico and Australia to restore a little balance to the budget.

"We don't need 20 races and if we have 16 races at good venues where everyone can make some money then maybe we wouldn't need CART's help," reasoned Tagliani.

"I know we've got the right people in our paddock right now and if this thing doesn't work with them then it won't work."

The new order
Gerry Forsythe, Paul Gentilozzi, Paul Newman and Kevin Kalkhoven are thought to be the heart of CART's new order and, along with a couple of other owners and outside partners, are expected to buy CART's remaining public shares and take it private within the next few days, according to sources in the paddock.

Whether they can pump enough cash and clever marketing into this series to see it through its 25th year remains to be seen.

But it's rumored that Gentilozzi, whose first-year team with Alex Tagliani already owns three podiums, is leading the logistics of CART's makeover. Supposedly, at least at street races, it will include Trans-Am races on Saturday (Gentilozzi owns Trans Am), major rock concerts on Saturday nights and Champ Car as Sunday's main event following Toyota Atlantic.

"I share a vision with a bunch of other smart guys in what open wheel racing can be," said Gentilozzi when asked Saturday about his role in CART's future. "I think we've got a great product and the biggest asset CART has is its fans.

"But I am not the leader."

Asked if Trans Am would be CART's partner in 2004, he replied: "Trans Am has always been a part of CART's history so I don't know why we'd lose that."

Jamie Rose of Motorock, a concert promotion company, has been hanging with Gentilozzi all weekend and he's thought to be the entertainment connection in CART's future.

Tracy, Franchitti rumors

NASCAR owner Richard Childress reportedly met with Tony George last week in Indianapolis, supposedly to talk about a potential IRL effort but with Paul Tracy as a possible shoe?

"I've talked to Richard several times about testing one of his stock cars any time I was ready to quit open wheel," said Tracy when asked about the rumor. "But I've never talked to him about the IRL."

Tracy has a contract with Gerry Forsythe for 2004.

Meanwhile, his former teammate at Team Green, Dario Franchitti, is rumored to have signed with Newman-Haas for the 2004 CART season.

The 30-year-old Scotsman is recovering from back surgery and couldn't be reached for comment while Carl Haas, who tried to sign Franchitti this season but lost out to Honda, denied there was any deal for 2004.

Canadian smoke screen?
The Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal has reportedly been removed from the 2004 Formula One schedule because of Canada's tobacco legislation, which forbids advertising in motorsports after Oct. 1, 2003.

Considering F1 domo Bernie Ecclestone is the co-promoter at Canada and its one of the biggest races on the F1 calendar, a lot of people are having trouble believing it's going to happen.

"I don't believe Canada is going to lose its F1 race," said Quebec native Patrick Carpentier. "I think it's just Bernie putting on the pressure."

Ecclestone took away the Belgium Grand Prix this year at Spa because of similar tobacco restraints and, surprise, that legislation has been rewritten to allow motorsports signage so Spa is back on the card in 2004.

If Bernie could make Canada change its laws, it would also give new life to Player's, the cigarette brand that has sponsored races, teams and programs since 1961 and is being forced out of CART participation in two months.

"We've all got our fingers crossed," said Player's general manager Neil Micklewright.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:49 (Ref:684856)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART have to go to where the fans are. And fans simply don't appear to enjoy oval racing - except for NASCAR...

The fans DO show up at road course and street events. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles so CART will target that. Although it may be unpopular, it's a business decision that simply has to be made to keep the series viable.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:55 (Ref:684862)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yea dropping the ovals is, sadly, proibably the right mve. The onyl popular ones are taken by the IRl. It helps to ahve the 2 championships looking significantly different.

It may also be a good time to consider scheduling CART races on different dates to IRL ones, to allow drivers to do both races.

If Dario's signed, I wonder if Bourdais alreay ahs an F1 deal? Personally I don't like or especialyl rate the guy, but it'd be good to have a big name back. Helio, Scott and Tony would be the bigger catches though.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:30 (Ref:684897)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's all smoke and mirrors. Who can believe Tracy would be discussing Craapwagons with Tony George? But I do believe that Bernie is going to try to put pressure on Canada to change its laws, although this is a lot like putting a pressure on jello.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:40 (Ref:684911)   #5
BizTeacher
Rookie

BizTeacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]Helio, Scott and Tony would be the bigger catches though. [/B]
Having some of the drivers that excelled in CART coming back would be awesome for the series and bring back more credibility like Helie and Gil, but Dixon and Kanaan....they didn't exactly set the series on fire. In my opinion, they are overrated drivers. Maybe Newman-Haas will have a three car operation for next year???
Old 11 Aug 2003, 20:16 (Ref:685463)   #6
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mostly agree with the article. The best way to keep a business alive is not to lose money... So for now while CART is in the rebuilding stages it's best to have reduce it to profitable events to gain fans to allow the series to once again to spread to venues that aren't as accessible. I'd be some kind f upset if we lost Laguna Seca, Elkhart Lake, and Mid-Ohio, and I totally agree with Rahal that those are probably the three best road courses in the US. Hopefully Mr. Rahal can be one of the peopel lobbying to keep those events on the schedule.

Dropping the European dates is a good move. CART just wasn't ready for that step. But for the love of God, add a race in Brazil! You could run them on consecutive weekends to save transportaton costs. It's a big enough country that it would attract different audiences both times. It works in Canada. Races in Brazil would be like events in Mexico: wildly successful the first time! A rio street race, and maybe a road course somewhere... I dunno

I would hope Bourdais sticks around in CART for one more year. It would give him a chance to win a championship and enter F1 as a more mature driver and be successful right away, like Montoya. But if the right contract offer comes up, I can't blame him for leaving.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 23:07 (Ref:685680)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more road courses yes more street courses-uh no
Miami sucks it did last year and this year i am sure.
Denver is bad, if they want another street course go to trois-rivieres, and make 4 stops in canada.
and add road atlanta for crying out loud and teh Glen.
and why not VIR, and Barber park. if CART is going road racing then go road racing crazy, it is easier tostage an event at a Race Course than build one i am sure, and why not stop by Fuji? or Tsukuba? and Philip Island in Oz?
and argentina- that would be ery welcomed in the series, so would brasil.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 00:03 (Ref:685716)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can buy into this.

* Keeping the name Champ Car is the smartest move to come out of CART in a while.

* Keeping the turbos, at least through '04, was already the plan but I like it and hopefully it will stick beyond.

* Running with Trans-Am...great! I hope that they or ALMS follow CART to the road courses too. When CART used to team up with the IMSA GT Series it was always a full weekend of great racing. Trans-Am and/or ALMS could do the same.

* Moving Laguna Seca back to Fall. I sure hope so. Then I won't miss it again.

* Adding some concerts to give it an event atmosphere. I think this has merit.

* Bringing back Franchitti... Does he promise to bring his wife along?

* People truly passionate about thier racing at the helm. You can't ask for more.

* Telling Tony George to take his ball and stuff it. It's a no-brainer and about time.

In fact this is about the best news I've heard on the direction CART could go in a couple of years.

LONG LIVE CART !!!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 00:30 (Ref:685728)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was very opposed to dropping the ovals and any almost race for that matter, but I don't think there is a choice. Dropping the European races is probably a BAD idea. CART probably needs to focus on making money at any track before expanding. Tag's comment about the number of races makes sense. (although I like see more races)

Dario comming back is a VERY good thing for CART. The real question is who's leaving and where are they going?
Old 12 Aug 2003, 01:39 (Ref:685753)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really like seeing the ovals dropped either but it sends a clear signal that CART intends to be its own distinct and separate series. This is important not only because of my previous comment about TG but rather, more importantly, to sponsors. It makes their choices clear. Leaving one short oval on the schedule also leaves the door open for CART to return to significant oval scheduling once they've completed the rebuild and regained audience should they choose. Attendance numbers at ovals for open wheelers is dismal no matter which major series your in. I love the road courses and still really enjoy watching ChampCars on ovals, however, (I may be in the minority here and flog me if you will)in reality if I am going to watch open wheel cars burn circles I'd just as soon attend a good Sprint Car race.

I don't see leaving Europe as a bad move, instead I see it as unfortunate. I think most of us recognize that it is just too costly for the series right now. If they were drawing 200,000+ people like they do in Australia the races would still be on the schedule.

CART is getting down to basics now and it is the only way it will survive. I'm quite confident that in the end we will get a stronger and more viable series than ever before.

Last edited by Flatspot; 12 Aug 2003 at 01:42.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:43 (Ref:685790)   #11
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is also probable that the turbos will be around for quite some time. Woohoo!!! C^RT will have to stabilise and show potential engine suppliers that it will be around for them to go to the effort and expense of developing new engines.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:47 (Ref:685792)   #12
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
And if Gentilozzi can save and build up Trans Am, he can probably help a great deal with CART. It would be the right move to put the series in the hands of the owners, as long as they're all on the same page about what to do.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:03 (Ref:686456)   #13
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that saying that gentilozzi is saving trans am is a bit of a broad brush overstatement. Car counts there are waaaayyy down compared to even two years ago. Robert
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:15 (Ref:686471)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really, is there a road racing series that's car count ISN't way down from two years ago?

Possibly Fran-Am...because it's new. But already has 20-something or more.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:58 (Ref:686729)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the way its all shaping up, new ownership by real race people, T/A racing on Sat., concert that night, and CART on sunday, all at great city venues with plenty to do. Sounds like a perfect getaway weekend to me!

The series needs to go where the people and the media are, and thats the big cities. Now bring it to the north east will you, we're starving for Champ Cars here!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Aug 2003, 23:31 (Ref:686746)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Good point. A market of tens of millions of people should have no problem seeing 200,000 visitors on a race day...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 02:51 (Ref:686807)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure but what about Star Mazda? They've got gobs of cars! Must be the superiority of their spec engine package.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 03:21 (Ref:686819)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Star Mazda's ALMS' junior series... I think Cart should have Atlantic and Barber Dodge as supports as often as possible...after all, they are the official feeder series.

As for other series, Fran-Am is quickly turning into the best development ladder for open-wheel road racing in North AMerica. The Fran-Am V6s they'll have next season will be the quickest open-wheel cars in North America after Cart..and significantly faster than Atlantic.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:06 (Ref:686855)   #19
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the axing of the Euro circuits a nailed on certainty? If so then from a purely selfish standpoint I'm gutted. I was looking forward to Brands on the GP circuit next season as I'm sure it would have been a great contest and a big improvement from last seasons contrived bore.
To a large degree the fault must lie with poor promotion of open wheel racing in England. We are fed a non-stop diet of F1 over here to the detriment of all other forms of motorsport, indeed before the advent of cable and sat TV you could be forgiven for thinking that racing in the US and Canada hardly existed. It's not good enough and as a result Brit petrol heads are being denied the opportunity to watch competitive and "affordable" racing at the highest level.
Is the decision irreversable? Tell me it aint so fellas.
Yours faithfuly
P****d off of London
Old 14 Aug 2003, 03:32 (Ref:687783)   #20
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I have to comment that I have a bit of a contention with Temporary Race circuits. A move away from Mid Ohio, Road America or Laguna Seca is a long term error for CART IMHO. In fact, I would suggest that CART should be looking at more permanent road courses to race at.

While I appreciate the exposure that racing at the Toronto City circuit does for the sponsors, and the event does get great attendance, what does this do for the sport long term? If the race was held at Mosport for example, and marketed just as aggressively, would the attendance and exposure be much less? However, Mosport as a track would have another marquee event which would benefit the track tremendously in its financial endeavours.

In turn, Mosport's future operation through CART profits will allow it to run regional races, those Formula Ford races where so many drivers start out after Carting.

I appreciate Mosport/Toronto might not be the best example, but believe that the point is relevant. Temporary road course don't allow for the development of future drivers.

CART is lacking in marketable, fast young Americans. Is a continued trend towards Temporary circuits going to help this?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:39 (Ref:688202)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure at all that dropping european events would prove good in m/l term.
As it seems, Europe is bound to lose some important F1 Gps.
Let's take for instance Silverstone; if no GP is held in Britain, many english fans might turn their attention on CART...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:21 (Ref:688299)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Well..Mosport doesn't have any of the facilities for Cart, and is totally not suitable safety wise, but for arguments sake, YES attendance would be WAY down if Cart ran at a track that was:

a) Not in a city
b) Not easily accessible by public transit

Those are the two most important things for staging a successful Cart race IMO. It doesn't matter if the track is an oval, street circuit or road course, it has to be accessible and visible.

Maybe 30-40,000 die-hards would come on race day to Mosport, and probably only a couple thousand on Saturday and Friday. There would be no street parties in downtown Toronto, and for the most part, people in the downtown areas would have no idea the race was going on (although I hear this true at many US races...).

However, you're right....tracks like Mosport and Mt. Tremblant, that would never be able to host a Cart race are great training grounds. Each has one of the two best racing schools in North America based there... and most of the lower levels make stops there.

As for the European events, I think they'll be back when the series comes back. I think abandoning them would only be a temporary messure to do with cost-cutting. Hopefully they'll probably be back by 2006.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:11 (Ref:688350)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Well..Mosport doesn't have any of the facilities for Cart, and is totally not suitable safety wise, but for arguments sake,
I'm mostly just being argumentative, so don't take any offence, just a little devil's advocate.

Of course another big ticket item event such as a CART event might allow them to upgrade the facilities and safety standards. Then all groups who compete at the Mosports.... would benefit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay YES attendance would be WAY down if Cart ran at a track that was:

a) Not in a city
b) Not easily accessible by public transit

Those are the two most important things for staging a successful Cart race IMO. It doesn't matter if the track is an oval, street circuit or road course, it has to be accessible and visible.

Maybe 30-40,000 die-hards would come on race day to Mosport, and probably only a couple thousand on Saturday and Friday. There would be no street parties in downtown Toronto, and for the most part, people in the downtown areas would have no idea the race was going on (although I hear this true at many US races...).

I would agree that at some level the attendance would be down, but don't know if I would agree WAY down. Certainly that ALMS gets significantly more then 40,000 at Mosport, perhaps close to double. There are also many more then a couple of thousand for Saturday and Friday. Additionally we must agree that CART does significantly more work in advertising and exposure then ALMS does. IF (again devil's advocate.) CART were to stage an event at Mosport, I believe that they would have larger attendance then the ALMS currently does.

As far as no street parties... why not? With the correct marketing it could easily be done.

I am not for moving the Toronto event to Mosport by any stretch, but making a case for tracks such as Road Atlanta, Mosport, Sebring, Portland, Laguna... and keeping them on the schedule for the support that they do for the lower level and training levels of the sport.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 14 Aug 2003 at 17:12.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:29 (Ref:688409)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I definately think we should have tracks such as Portland, Laguna Seca and Road America... this should be a road and street series - not just a street series. But, if you go by Cart's attendance figures, the races in the stix just aren't worth it. It's better to have the event in a downtown area or at least within reach of public transit. Again, the reason the CAnadian events can attract 170,000 for 3 days is that all one has to do to go the track is hop on train/streetcar/bus and you're at the track. There are a lot of race fans out there that can't rent cars to drive an hour out of town for an event. And the local media will not cover an event outside the city with nearly the enthusiasm they would if it was in the city's core. I'm not certain, but how many street parties are there for Road American and Mid-Ohio? I'm guessing not many.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:59 (Ref:688438)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the boondock tracks and people not getting there complaints seem to be quite thin
Laguna, is well attended-again cooridinating the events with other series is the key (ALMS includes Speed GT, and TC)
AMA and CART and ALMS at LAguna (wish)
CART and ALMS at Sears (wish)
CART and ALMS at mosport(wish)
CART and TA at toronto
CART at Vancouver, and Circuit Gilles Villneuve need no help really
CART at Road America with so many series I can think of
CART and ALMS at Road Atlanta (and ama wish)
CART, TA and Speed TC,GT ALMS at st.Pete (hmm)
CART and TA and SPeed GT/TC (a great urban draw if you ask me-wishing)
Mid OHIO with the series there already plus Speec TC
the list goes on and on how about every one at the Glen?
more street circuit may be good but it is temporary, like ALMS did with Rovals.
and the attendance has gone up at Boonie tracks since.
and getting people to the tracks, how about busses and special shuttles for ticket holders? nt many but for people that would not really drive themselves (good for press members...)
and incentives to get people to the tracks, isn't the styx good places for big concerts (lolapalooza anyone?)