Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Mar 2020, 23:10 (Ref:3965108)   #1171
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
Excellent!
Old 20 Mar 2020, 23:12 (Ref:3965926)   #1172
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT 2003 - Enna Pergusa - Non English commentary https://youtu.be/AoPh-jaEOtw

FIA GT 2003 - Monza - https://youtu.be/hYbu3mvAA3U
Old 21 Mar 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3965966)   #1173
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Le Mans '96.
Pole position was a 3.46!

https://youtu.be/kd8m48sXMYA
It's truly crazy how much the top class regressed in that mid-90s spell. Some terrific racing, some terrific cars and many of you who are old enough to remember it I'm sure have cherished memories - but it's incredible how slow and primitive those prototypes were, with many of them barely faster than much heavier road-based vehicles.

There wasn't really a lot of technology to separate the TWR Porsche with the 936 from two decades before.

TK, who recorded his first win in the car, remarked on how much changed in his career - from the H-pattern, flat-bottomed, heavily neutered Group C car in his first win to the space-ship diesel machine of his last one.
Old 21 Mar 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3965973)   #1174
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It's truly crazy how much the top class regressed in that mid-90s spell. Some terrific racing, some terrific cars and many of you who are old enough to remember it I'm sure have cherished memories - but it's incredible how slow and primitive those prototypes were, with many of them barely faster than much heavier road-based vehicles.

There wasn't really a lot of technology to separate the TWR Porsche with the 936 from two decades before.

TK, who recorded his first win in the car, remarked on how much changed in his career - from the H-pattern, flat-bottomed, heavily neutered Group C car in his first win to the space-ship diesel machine of his last one.
I'm currently on a rewatch of the 2003 ALMS season, and even there the gap between Audi and the privateers was relatively small and the Audi actually was beaten repeatedly by Panoz (the years before), the Dyson MG-Lolas and (I think in 2005) Zytek. The Audi was a very good and especially in the enduros a dominant car, but nowhere near as unbeatable (by anyone than other factory teams) as during the Diesel and Hybrid eras.
Old 21 Mar 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3965995)   #1175
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'm currently on a rewatch of the 2003 ALMS season, and even there the gap between Audi and the privateers was relatively small and the Audi actually was beaten repeatedly by Panoz (the years before), the Dyson MG-Lolas and (I think in 2005) Zytek. The Audi was a very good and especially in the enduros a dominant car, but nowhere near as unbeatable (by anyone than other factory teams) as during the Diesel and Hybrid eras.
There's two reasons for that; budget and regulations.

In the early 2000s, the development of the sports prototype had reached the end of its cycle - I mean, how much can you really do with an open sports prototype? The main decision was which of the obscenely noisy and powerful engines you put in the back of it (or the front, in the case of Panoz). On top of that, the only budget the Audi board needed to sanction was slightly bigger one than the opposition, which they mostly spent on reliability and serviceability on the R8 as opposed to outright speed.

2006 was when the development curve really got opened up; and then between 2007 and 2018, there were always at least two major manufacturers forced to use R&D budgets on new technologies to beat each other.

When the dust settles on the current climate, we may well be left with something much simpler like the mid 90s again.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3966357)   #1176
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or7zwidKrnI

Just a near 14 minute onboard with the mythical Ferrari F50 GT1... nothing too special...
Old 28 Mar 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3967318)   #1177
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Endurance" (Porsche at Le Mans and Nürburgring)
I don't know if it's been already posted.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 16:27 (Ref:3967408)   #1178
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
GULP! I am only a couple of minutes in and already blown away!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3967558)   #1179
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll have to go back & binge through this thread, but in the meantime...

Not really sportscars but just blew my kids minds here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bEzUipmWc&t=276s
Old 1 Apr 2020, 21:17 (Ref:3968116)   #1180
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Thanks!

That's a great doco, real 'fly on the wall' stuff. I really like the way it exposed the human factors dimension, especially illuminating Laurens Vanthoor.