Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1238890)   #1
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A street track challenge ....

Okay with all this talk of street tracks latley, (okay over the past 24 hours)
Ive came up with this idea for the challenge, To design a street track near you,
so this way you will know the road.
You must specify which type of racing would be held there,
the rules are obviously pretty open,
But name any resurfacing that would need to take place,
And no use of Motorways, Autobahns, Or Highways.
I'll be posting mine up later ........
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1238913)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

What was wrong with that one?
Old 1 Mar 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1239102)   #3
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, i didnt know you lived in Prague .

Honestly, i think i have to bow out of this one. Making a street track out here would be absolutely impossible. The roads are few and very narrow . this is where i live. And many of those roads are gravel.

I've often thought about making the track using part existing road and part permanent track. I might have a go at that sometime.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1239440)   #4
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mascot...

I have also done the Shanes Park Circuit. I've taken photos, but I can't post them all, but I will post a map of the circuit and photo locations ASAP...
Old 1 Mar 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1239472)   #5
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
SHANES PARK!!!...

Track Measurements...

Track Location...

Locations of all the pictures I took...

I believe that you'll need to re-surface the entire roads around the area. But once it's done, it's done (like most street circuits)... However, Turn 10 and 12 would have to be built (when you look at the pictures, you'll understand)...

Pits will need to be built, but the land is unoccupied (Government owned), and they want to release it as housing, business and parklands. Using this LITTLE space for pits wouldn't hurt ...

Overall, I think it's a VERY good track. I think that our Touring Car series (V8 Supercars) would love it around here...

Here are a few pictures:

68 - Leading up to the start/finish straigh, with the pits on the left...

02 - Look at all the room they have there for the pits...

12 - The room to enlarge the road is like this basically all the way around...

16 - A great downhill section after Turn 4...

32 - The exit of Turn 7 is pretty tight...

38 - The same goes for the Exit of Turn 8...

50 - Turn 10 run-off...

51 - Turn 10 and it's run-off...

57 - Lead up to Turn 12, the chicane...

57 - How Turn 12 may look like (once again like I did with Mascot, it would be a 'Surfers Paradise' style chicane)...

66 - The final corner. Very similar to A1-Ring's Turn 1. Its uphill on the apex...

I hope that you all enjoyed that ... Opinion would be appreciated... Thanks...

Last edited by f1freak; 1 Mar 2005 at 22:30.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1239482)   #6
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great track mate
i had no intention of putting that much effort into this challenge but now you have prusueded me :P.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1239506)   #7
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Well how else can I honestly show you how awesome the track is???... I've had this lying on my computer for a while now, but yea...

By the way, just something I thought I'd share. When I designed Ropes Creek, It was planned to be placed in the site South of Shanes Park. As I wrote on my description of Ropes Creek: This circuit is to be built in the Former ADI site in Sydney's West district, right next to St Marys. Named Ropes Creek after the nearby creek which runs throught the Former ADI site.

Here is where Ropes Creek is...

Just something I thought I'd share ...
Old 1 Mar 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1239510)   #8
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
lol well i mean i was just going to draw the track on a map ....
but now im going to take pics might even make a film in my car :x of the circuit
depends how much time i have this week :P.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1239808)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto, what a great idea. Even better the road I live on is wide undulating and curves around a bit! That covers one part, completing the circuit is a bit harder - it is a divided road so I suppose it would be possible to just return in the opposite direction haha but there are other options. I shall have to take a ride around the area with a camera this weekend.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1240166)   #10
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Well, i made this monstrosity of a track once. It would be like the distance of three nurburgrings on bumpy country roads, but it would be an absolute classic! .

(The reason why the image looks so odd is because i stripped it for all unnecessary graphics to make it smaller )
Old 3 Mar 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1241233)   #11
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dude, TR, that looks great! A pre-WW2 Grand Prix track.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1241269)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few points I would like to raise for clarification/guidelines... (yes I realise this is open but some input/opinion is handy)

What sort of length do you think is reasonable? Eg the track i had in mind using main suburban collector roads would be 8km or so after a rough look at a map.

Otherwise I could use some local streets - which could be down to 7-8m width (wide enough for one car to pass between cars parked on either side) which I feel is a bit narrow. With houses either side there is no scope for widening so I would just pretend they are not there or preferably avoid them.

Another specific thing would be a hairpin bend on a divided road - the road in question has 3 lanes each side but the median varies in width from 1m to 0.2m. There is usually a slip lane for turning provided however. This would give a 180° corner of approx 7m radius to car centreline - do you think it is unfeasibly tight?

I've got 3 tracks in mind, one will be an absolute belter (to give you an idea of a weekend there are often speed traps set up to catch bikers...) however at this stage it includes a length of freeway (a couple of km) which would be perfect however for holding pits and start/finish.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1241307)   #13
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Well, normally i reckon a grand prix track would be somewhere between 3.5 and 6 km's.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1241319)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
as i said length wouldnt matter, 8 k's is okay.
and the hairpin would only be to tight for higher classes of motorsport.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1241330)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
7 metre radius for any class is about as tight as you'd want, but F1 should manage it anyway.
Loews is about 7m.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1241415)   #16
Alonsomania
Rookie

Alonsomania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1freak,i will possibly make a rl circuit of Shanley's Park
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1241584)   #17
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a go at my Home town. It's not a first, by the way, but I came up with a couple of alternatives. Blue is the longest track, with a few shortcuts and/or variants in red and possibilities for the pit lane in green.

Last edited by Lustigson; 3 Mar 2005 at 20:42.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1241606)   #18
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
nice !!!!
i really need to get on mine i have a general lay out but it takes forever to walk around it
so im trying to get a camera and ill just drive the circuit in my car so you can all see
but if i cant i supose ill have to walk
*sighs*.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1241633)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The problem with living in London is there's no suitable roads...
Near where I live its almost entirely residential, nowhere you could even built a pitlane.

The easiest thing to do would be build a park circuit, or rebuild cyrstal palace.
Ignoring noise restrictions, the latter would be by far the best. So that's what I am going to do
Old 3 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1241641)   #20
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
looking forward to that 1 !!!!
crystal palace i really enjoy that track well whats left of it
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1241706)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK

There you go

Can't really do any more than that. I already got rid of the athletics stadium...
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1241712)   #22
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
lol i love the "got rid" part
Infact thats not a bad layout P.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1241716)   #23
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Lust... it looks interesting. The overall layout is supurb mate ...

This would be my prefered layout. I don't know which way you wanted the track to go, but I reckon it clockwise, at least thats what I based my design on...

Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1241719)   #24
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
P, I don't know london too well... but I love your track mate ... Good job...

Alonso... umm, where is Shanley's Park???...

Last edited by f1freak; 3 Mar 2005 at 22:29.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1241725)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Since its so close by, I might go and do a photo tour too