Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Mar 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1240599)   #1
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wellington Street Race Update

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3205718a1823,00.html

So now the beancounters have had their say, and a final track layout has been released, it looks more and more like an it-breaks-all-the-rules-but-its-still-a-really-really-good-idea type decision.
Personally I'd take a 9:1 return anytime, but then again, I'm not the council.

Its still going to be bloody fast down Jervois Quay!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1240623)   #2
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

http://www.events.org.nz/news/display-item.php?id=2171

V8 Car Race on Track 02.03.05

A V8 supercar street race in Wellington would generate $23 million a year in new spending and would be televised in 70 countries with a potential viewership of 400 million people, Wellington City councillors were told today.

The car race is one of three big ticket items on which Councillors were briefed today . They will all require a large financial commitment from the Council should they be approved. The other two are major developments of the Wellington Marine Education Centre on the

"There are some big decisions to be made this year on which items the Council is willing and able to support," Mayor Kerry Prendergast says.

"One of obvious public interest at present is the V8 Supercar race and while there is still a lot of work to be done on this proposal, Councillors were today presented with an Economic Impact Report, a Resident Support Report, a Technical Feasibility and Cost Assessment Report and details of the track configuration."

"The proposal is for Wellington to host the race for between five and seven years. It would add 1.6 percent a year to rates. Promoters IMG would be responsible for running the event."

Councillors will be asked to vote next week on whether the council should bring forward the mandatory consultation process on whether Wellington should host the race, so that an early decision can be made.

"The consultation process would ensure that all Wellingtonians get to have their say on whether Wellington should host this race and I urge everyone to take part in this process. It's up to Wellingtonians to decide whether Wellington should cash in on the opportunity that has been presented to the city and you can do that through the consultation process."

Should the Council agree to the Special Consultative Process, the consultation would start in the next three weeks, hearings would be held at the end of April and a decision made in early May.

The track configuration was also presented to Councillors today. The track runs between the Railway Station and Taranaki Street taking in Waterloo, Customhouse and Jervois Quays and Cable, Taranaki, Willeston, Victoria, Hunter, Featherston and Bunny Streets.

"Track engineers have described the track as spectacular and said it is likely to be approved by the FIA – the international motorsport governing body. We've had car races in Wellington in the past, so we know exactly how spectacular it can be."

The council's Resident Support Survey and a survey undertaken by the Wellington Chamber of Commerce show that the race is supported by most Wellingtonians. The Chamber of Commerce survey showed that 96 percent of businesses supported the race. Some of the findings from the Residents Support Survey include:

· Almost three quarters (72 percent) support the race, 14 percent oppose it and 14 percent are neutral.

· 83 percent agreed that the race would be of economic benefit to the city.

· 78 percent agreed the race would enhance the profile of Wellington as a leading events destination in New Zelaand.

· 68 percent of residents agreed the race would help extend the range and scale of events held in the city and region.

· 53 percent agreed the raced reflects the city's image.

· 50 percent considered it appropriate for the council to subsidise the event using rate-payer funds.

· 65 percent would accept a rates increase if it was less than 1 percent.

The survey also revealed residents had concerns about noise, pollution and potential road damage.

"This is an exciting opportunity and once again I urge all Wellingtonians to have their say on it," Mayor Prendergast says.

Aquarium of New Zealand – Te Moana Tamariki

Councillors received a briefing on the plan by the Wellington Marine Conservation Trust to develop the Aquarium of New Zealand – Te Moana Tamariki at Raekaihau Point between Lyall Bay and Houghton Bay.

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary

Councillors were also briefed on a proposal to redevelop the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. The Sanctuary Trust is proposing to redevelop and rebrand the sanctuary so that it becomes a national icon and benchmark attraction for Wellington and New Zealand.

Papers on these two proposals will go to the Strategy and Policy Committee tomorrow.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1240686)   #3
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
after seeing the layout for the new track on 3 news.. i hope the race doesn't go ahead!

hell it's only 2 lanes wide in some places!!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1240704)   #4
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Once you clear out parked cars and the odd traffic island, you could get 3 lanes at least out of those streets (Jervois Qy is 3 each way!)
Old 3 Mar 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1240706)   #5
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
that's still not enough.

12 cars were tripping over themselves last time.. what's going to happen when 30 plus cars turn up?
Old 3 Mar 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1240719)   #6
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont stress too much about the width (As long as it is more like the 3+ lanes wide like Antrodemus says) as long as there is adequate run off areas provided wherever possible. The V8's handle Surfers Paradise OK and the Clipsal 500 at Adelaide is still hailed as one of their best events despite that being on public streets....
The most important factor will be to provide numerous 'good' access/facilites for officials to clear damaged cars &debris away quickly. There is nothing more boring than watching a street race run behind a safety car - Its probably this fact that killed Canberra....

Roll on Wellington - Shhhh, some Aucklanders may be reading this
Old 4 Mar 2005, 02:50 (Ref:1241893)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught the NZ news and it said (I think) the council will decide by May 15th if Wellington will hold the race.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1242034)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pearler circuit that is sadly set to be cannibalised by chicanes.

I live in Auckland, but I am no JAFFA. I hope Wellington get this to the Mayor can send a lovely thank you card to Mother Hubbard and Mother Hucker.

May 15 would seem to be somewhat past the AVESCO deadline, although AVESCO know the NEED for a ROUND here in NZ. It has to happen or Ford and Holden will be spewing!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1242043)   #9
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope there are no chicanes, i want Adelaide style sweepers.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1242069)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave out that turn 3/4 chicane......

Why would Holden Australia and Ford Australia be spewing if there wasn't a round in NZ?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1242117)   #11
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee the track looks exciting.

I'll go back to sleep now.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 03:26 (Ref:1242873)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
hell it's only 2 lanes wide in some places!!
The orginal track was only one lane on the bridge,2 lanes is luxury.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 04:52 (Ref:1242913)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
that will never they way murphy swerves all over the track ( sorry just watched a bit from sandown where murphy tried to drive ambrose onto the horsee track
Old 5 Mar 2005, 05:28 (Ref:1242953)   #14
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
The orginal track was only one lane on the bridge,2 lanes is luxury.
and no passing
Old 9 Mar 2005, 05:05 (Ref:1247355)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Everyone,

News just through that the Wellington City Council has voted 9-4 in favour of the V8 Supercar street race being held in Wellington. The council will now seek public consultation, but the vibe in Wellington seems to be much more positive and it would seem far more likely than not to happen - a scenario that Auckland could never have offered after John Banks lost the Auckland mayoralty.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1248036)   #16
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Finally some good news out of the council!
The decision will be ratified towards the end of the week and consultation will formally start next Tuesday. With 70+% public support its looking good (I'm gradually getting more excited anyway) although expect the detractors out in force over the next few months.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1248358)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the chances of a purpose built circuit, that will support and help build New Zealand Motorsport being used are shortening. ?

To me thats a little disappointing.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1248372)   #18
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
So the chances of a purpose built circuit, that will support and help build New Zealand Motorsport being used are shortening. ?

To me thats a little disappointing.
and the Wellington City Council will put its money into which circuit if the street race is canned????? It's simple, Motorsport NZ are the ones you should be aiming this at, the people putting the money up will not pay for some one elses assets and why should they? Unless a wealthy benefactor steps up with the money it is up to the circuit owners to approach the local council in the area and talk to them. It is not up to the Wellington City Council to pay for upgrades at Manfield, likewise Auckland City Council to pay for upgrades to Pukekohe. I also don't believe it is up to IMG to pay for the assets at a permanent venue. It is more the responsibility of the controlling body. Who is that? Motorsport NZ. Manfields proposal seemed to hinge on "If you give it to us we will do the upgrades" scenario, AVESCO and IMG seem reluctant to trust them afterall this happened with Pukekohe and the drainage is only being done now that they have lost the contract. Wellington City put their hand up and said "Hey let us have a go". They haven't got it yet, yes Manfield put its hand up, but, from my understanding the new mayor seems less enthusiastic about the whole thing, and quite frankly, judging by how booked out Taupo is this weekend I doubt Palmerston North could cope. Look I agree that we need to do something about our circuits, but motorsport NZ don't do enough for the sport. Why aren't they going into bat for the circuits?? Why is there minimal input into supporting other classes other than the "glamour classes" like the new production class, Tranz Ams, Commodore cup etc etc which are basically treated like brown stuff on your shoe. I am not talking about TV here, just updating their flipping website would be a start.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1249063)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
and the Wellington City Council will put its money into which circuit if the street race is canned????? It's simple, Motorsport NZ are the ones you should be aiming this at, the people putting the money up will not pay for some one elses assets and why should they? It is not up to the Wellington City Council to pay for upgrades at Manfield, likewise Auckland City Council to pay for upgrades to Pukekohe.

Im not saying I expect the Councils to pump money into local circuits, I realise that wont happen. But having a Supertaxi event at say Manfield, this should draw in spectators and $$$ into the circuit for redevelopment and facilities that would also help other NZ categories like Commodore Cup.

Quote:
"If you give it to us we will do the upgrades" scenario, AVESCO and IMG seem reluctant to trust them afterall this happened with Pukekohe and the drainage is only being done now that they have lost the contract.
I think AVesco is more concerned with the large check it will recieve from a street circuit race as opposed to anything else. Why else are they so hellbent on the need for street race.

Quote:
Why is there minimal input into supporting other classes other than the "glamour classes" like the new production class, Tranz Ams, Commodore cup etc etc which are basically treated like brown stuff on your shoe. I am not talking about TV here, just updating their flipping website would be a start.
The same issues face all our categories in Aus besides the Supertaxi's, and guess what, Street Races aren't helping.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 11 Mar 2005 at 00:00.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1250627)   #20
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just come back from a holiday in NZ - motorsport seems to be in good health with GT3's and speedway getting coverage on Sky Sport fairly regularly.

However, I read an article somewhere (I think in a Christchurch advertorial mag of all places) by a NZ Touring Car series racer, who reckons that Supercars is bad for NZ circuit racing as a whole - he mentioned something about a $13mill sanctioning fee for the Supercars - is this right?

As far as I'm concerned, NZ must keep a round of the Supercars, but not at the expense of hurting the local scene too much. A NZ round is far more relevant than China etc. Geez, every 2nd falcon in NZ is an XR, and every second Commode is an S or SS... In amongst the turbo Jap imports, I've discovered Kiwis love their cars!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1254797)   #21
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
A 4 week consulting period starts today and then the decision will be made on the 5th May (I think). The Lady Mayor is definately for it.