Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

View Poll Results: Will Roberts Make A Better Chassis Than Honda?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 8 47.06%
Maybe 1 5.88%
Don't Know/Care 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1524161)   #1
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Roberts Make A Good Chasis?

Whilest listening to MotoGPod I heard that Roberts will be getting "The same spec engine as Melandri".

So therefore it's just a matter of Can Roberts Make A Better Chassis Than Honda
Old 16 Feb 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1524354)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering the difference in experience, funding, manpower and reputation, I think it surprising that somebody has voted 'yes'.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1524477)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So you also find it surprising that Derbi took on the might of the Japanese and Italians and nearly won a 125 world championship, and the Proton set quickest ever 2 stroke laps.
Both using chassis developed, designed and put together by Roberts!

I think the only weak link there will be development budget and testing and maybe the rider, but in that environment Junior should thrive
Old 16 Feb 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1524601)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Considering the difference in experience, funding, manpower and reputation, I think it surprising that somebody has voted 'yes'.
My bad.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1525594)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A global car/bike manufacturer against a small private team?
No chance.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1536806)   #6
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If history is a guide, he will. Remember in the 80s when his team dominated. Fact is, they had to modify the Yamaha engines, and at the end, the engines weren't Yamahas. Caused friciton with Yamaha to this day. If you take a look at the time from the last few days, you'll see KRJR is faster than the Hondas. If they have the same engine, why is he faster than Nicky? Could it be the chassis works.

Had dinner with Kurtis at Valencia last year, said the Chassis handled well, but the motor only made 200HP. Now that they've got a little power, wonder where they'll end up. I suspect that KR wants to finish ahead of John Hopkins this year, given the way it ended with Suzuki.

Art
Old 3 Jul 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1647211)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Bump.

Ooops, sorry didn't mean to do that. Man, that Roberts bike is Pants isn't it.

Oh c'mon, am I good, or am I good?
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1647760)   #8
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is not just the chassis that is really good. Supposedly the air intake the Roberts bike has, gives the engine a very constant pressure of air supply. It has made the Honda people come round the corner of the pitbox to have a look.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1647853)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, they certainly surprised me with their performance to date.
Good stuff!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1648208)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda are not stupid at all when it comes to things like this. I think they hold some sort of rights to a central intake on 125 bikes dont they? Maybe why no one else uses one. But surely the KTM uses a central intake in 125 and 250!! Might be null and void now!

Remember Honda used to do a similar hting to KR with ELF years ago and Ron Haslam. They provided the motors for the ELF team and let de Cortanze do all sorts of silly things, no dount a lot of those ideas were purchased by HRC and put away in a safe til some day soon!
Kenny aint stupid really, if he has found something, it would also be crazy not to let him use it in 2007.

Intake is different coz it goes through the headstock of the bike rather than round the sides as it does on an RC211V.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1648606)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no idea about mechanical gubbins and stuff but you were right Hazza. Once they bunged a decent motor on they've been impressive indeed!

What they need now is another rider to accompany Kenny. Junior's a bit past his sell-by date, he has admitted he was ready to sit on the couch this season until his Pa persuaded him otherwise. Maybe they need a 250cc flyer to show what the thing can really do - even if the kid falls off. With consistent Kenny racking up points on the sister bike everybody's a winner!

What about Lorenzo? The Dove? Honda could farm out rookies to KR. The chance to learn from the Roberts family is priceless.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1650811)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The chassis is pretty close in performance to the Honda, but they are only really beating Tamada consistantly. Perhaps the problem is the rider - 2007 might answer that question.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1651431)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Obnly beating Tamada, has Makoto got a podium or a front row this year!
I think they are doing very well and Kenny is riding superbly at the moment considering he is pretty much calling time!

I think it would be great to get anotehr rider, but would Kenny really have the patience and the budget to have a crasher on the team, I think Edwards would be a great choice if he isnt snapped up, he is very close to Michelin aswell which is a plus!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1661990)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Ahem.

If Roberts win, you guys all owe me a gonk!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1662015)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh no . not gonks again ..

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1662117)   #16
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
I still think it would be fascinating to have another KR rider. They need two and I hope they have the money to achieve that next season. They are perfect for Honda to farm a young rider out to. Dovi?

Guessing out of my bottom, they could become Team America and have Roberts Jr and Hayden?
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1662123)   #17
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
I agree with you on all points but I reckon it will be Roberts and Edwards next year. Unless BMW get Edwards because of his developement skills...
Old 22 Jul 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1662368)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Agreed, I think would make a superb rider for Kenny and the Michelin link also works real well coz Colin basically developed the 16.5inch front Michelin i think.
Not sure on the Hinda engine thing though, but i dont think Colin really left Honda in a cloud, just got a better deal at Yamaha.
Am so pleased for Kenny Jr, all the doubting Thomases on here who said he was rubbish!! But he kinda made a prat of himself in germany.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1662582)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kenny was rubbish on the Suzuki after he won the title! Compared to his team mates he was poor. Now he has a good bike again and he is doing well.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1670344)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I dont really think anyone did any good on the Suzuki with Kenny to be honest, the bike was total rot and didnt work on 16.5 inch tyres. And Aoki did sweet bugger all on the bike aswell to be honest!

Yes Sete won a race but he has always been a bit of a rain master and even Kenny did really well in the rain on the old two stroke!