Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2022, 16:03 (Ref:4118222)   #1076
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has to be a good reason for him not being named[/QUOTE]

Yes, we're led by a load of soft namby pampy do-gooders.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4118225)   #1077
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There has to be a good reason for him not being named
The short answer is - 'Section 45 of the Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act 1999'

The longer answer -
Section 49 of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 mandates that any minor who appears in Youth Court proceedings (Victims, witnesses & defendants under the age of 18 when proceedings commence) are automatically granted anonymity until they turn 18 and proceedings are complete.
It is common practice for the identity of a victim, witness or defendant under the age of 18 who is concerned in proceedings in a Magistrates Court or the Crown Court to have discretionary reporting restrictions under Section 45 YJCEA in place. These are usually observed until sentencing, after which time there is often an appeal to have these restrictions lifted.

As I understand it, the sentencing has been set for August - so it is likely that the restrictions will be lifted after that date.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 17:03 (Ref:4118233)   #1078
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Yes, we're led by a load of soft namby pampy do-gooders.

As crmalcolm above states, this dates to at least 1933 which I would say predates the namby-pamby society that seems to exist nowadays.

Now, I would hardly call myself a member of the hang em n' flog them brigade, but there is far too much very serious crimes being committed these days by youths as young as ten, often involving, as in this case, cars and very often knives and other weapons.

I can see no justification in these cases to withhold the names of the individuals, especially when they are caught red handed as was the 16 year old in the case I posted about, especially when they admit all the charges at their first court appearance for the offence/s.

And in all probability, because he is only 16, the sentence will be less than if he was 18. However, I would suggest that anyone over the age of about 10 would know the difference between right and wrong, and certainly by the time the youths reaches 12 to 14, they would know that they were breaking the law.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 09:54 (Ref:4118295)   #1079
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

And in all probability, because he is only 16, the sentence will be less than if he was 18. However, I would suggest that anyone over the age of about 10 would know the difference between right and wrong, and certainly by the time the youths reaches 12 to 14, they would know that they were breaking the law.
Growing up these days from the age of 4-5 (or less) some live vicariously through video games that show things like killing people with guns/knives/bombs and driving like maniacs through shopping precincts and causing death and destruction must have some sort of bearing ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jul 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4118298)   #1080
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Growing up these days from the age of 4-5 (or less) some live vicariously through video games that show things like killing people with guns/knives/bombs and driving like maniacs through shopping precincts and causing death and destruction must have some sort of bearing ?
I think that scenario has been around for longer than it would initially seem.

The GTA series has been around since 1997 - but prior to this the early 'Beat 'em-up' games date back to the mid-'80s.

The first generation that grew up with video games that show things like killing people with guns/knives/bombs are now in their 50s......

There is arguably more control today - with the PEGI ratings being used since the mid-'00s. Although the likes of Jack Thompson might disagree.....
Old 5 Jul 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4118300)   #1081
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There has always been violence and too much of it has been blamed on video games. Most of them are just harmless fun, without being too violent

Violent people have existed long before video games and there have been those who just don’t play them

Of course there are some games that rightly have an age rating, but some will still play them underage. Most though are sensible enough to know not to do it in real life
Old 5 Jul 2022, 11:12 (Ref:4118303)   #1082
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kray twins and their scum partners were all brought up in the pre-video game era. Some people are born evil and like to stay that way.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 11:36 (Ref:4118308)   #1083
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
All fair comments about the fact that there has always been violence & scummy people but I think back to my sons teenage years 10+ years ago when we tried to make him aware of potential nasty people armed with knives and things. He (and his mates) were heavily into video fighting games and were 100% confident that, because the (usually) disarm someone with a weapon in the games, they would also be able to do that in real life.
It didn't get through to him at the time that in real life there is no re-set/restart procedure for the times that you don't succeed...
Old 5 Jul 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4118311)   #1084
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
There is also some scientific reasoning that relates to the development of the adolescent brain and its relationship to the processing / generating of fear.

In order to prepare for adulthood, the basal amygdala and the hippocampus reduce their level of productivity which suppresses contextual fear. It is though that this allows the adolescent to move from the comfort of being raised by an adult into fending for themselves without being frozen by fear.
A teenage brain also has an underdeveloped frontal region, as well as an underdeveloped prefrontal cortex. These are the areas that are in control of judgement, rational thinking, and self-control.

In effect, dependent on the individual, you have a situation where the brain has not fully developed in terms of judgement from that of a child (where judgements are made for them) whilst simultaneously suppressing memories of contextual fear for the individual.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4118319)   #1085
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There is also some scientific reasoning that relates to the development of the adolescent brain and its relationship to the processing / generating of fear.

In order to prepare for adulthood, the basal amygdala and the hippocampus reduce their level of productivity which suppresses contextual fear. It is though that this allows the adolescent to move from the comfort of being raised by an adult into fending for themselves without being frozen by fear.
A teenage brain also has an underdeveloped frontal region, as well as an underdeveloped prefrontal cortex. These are the areas that are in control of judgement, rational thinking, and self-control.

In effect, dependent on the individual, you have a situation where the brain has not fully developed in terms of judgement from that of a child (where judgements are made for them) whilst simultaneously suppressing memories of contextual fear for the individual.
In Short, thick kids with nothing useful to do are a pain in the arse ?
Old 5 Jul 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4118331)   #1086
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
In Short, thick kids with nothing useful to do are a pain in the arse ?
Very aptly summed-up!!!
Old 5 Jul 2022, 19:31 (Ref:4118361)   #1087
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

And in all probability, because he is only 16, the sentence will be less than if he was 18.
At 16, iirc, one can join the armed forces, be trained to drive and also how to kill enemies. Which also implies "how to kill people" enemies or not.

A couple of generations ago, 16 was an age of near adulthood and of accepting personal responsibility.

A couple of hundred years ago 16, for the average child who had survived that far, was half a life expectancy.

In some parts of the world that is still the case.

We, as a developed nation, forget these facts at our peril.

But then, take the USA.

Allowed to drive at 14 (in some states but not all?) but not drink alcohol until 21.

One has to wonder whether our believe in "logic" is logical.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4118363)   #1088
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Just noticed we haven't heard from grantp for a while. I hope all is OK there.
Many thanks for your concern morninggents!

Somewhere between significant birthdays, "colds" or similar, wife's birthday, new granddaughter arriving and missed options (related to the above and other matters) to enjoy the HSCC at Donington as well as the MGCC last weekend, 10ths time has been eroded.

That and some persistent annoyances with the Saab which have persuaded me to use it as little as possible. Almost not at all. Probably just as well given the price of petrol.

I thought the latest problem (split cv joint gaiter less then 1 year and 2000 miles old) had been sorted at the end of last week BUT after a very short run today (1 mile to the local Coop) I noticed grease splattering over the wheel and covering the inside of it.

That may be the residue from the previous problem but I suspect not. Depending on arrangements for tomorrow I may or may not have time to jack it up, remove the wheel and get a proper view of what is going on.

Fortunately, management's car will be OK but the idea of suggesting that I might purloin it for an extended period might well result in my untimely demise - and justify your concerns!

Meanwhile, whatever was a Donington today was extremely noisy and much of it very high revving.

At some points in the afternoon, I started to wonder if the rev frequency was so high it went out of my hearing range. Things seemed to go quiet as the revs peaked.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 20:50 (Ref:4118374)   #1089
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
At 16, iirc, one can join the armed forces, be trained to drive and also how to kill enemies. Which also implies "how to kill people" enemies or not.
But, only with parental consent and not allowed on a front line or in a combat role.
Old 6 Jul 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4118423)   #1090
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Agreed - Cadwell is quite a circuit - and arguably better suited to bikes rather than cars......

Don't expect much sympathy around here for leaving your teenage years behind....most of us can hardly remember ours Have a great birthday
Thank you!

Cadwell was excellent as I expected. CRMC had great grids and the same variety we have come to expect in a historic meeting here.

Walked the track Saturday which was great even though dad was certainly bed ready at the end

Only blip was a nearly 4 hour total power cut which stopped all running but hey ho these things happen. Can't wait to go back for the Sidecar Revival in August.
Old 6 Jul 2022, 14:42 (Ref:4118444)   #1091
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Thank you!

Cadwell was excellent as I expected. CRMC had great grids and the same variety we have come to expect in a historic meeting here.

Walked the track Saturday which was great even though dad was certainly bed ready at the end

Only blip was a nearly 4 hour total power cut which stopped all running but hey ho these things happen. Can't wait to go back for the Sidecar Revival in August.
It's a bit of a trek from the south but always worthwhile, with the track being so narrow it's a bit class restricted but surely the 'prettiest' circuit in the UK.
Old 6 Jul 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4118459)   #1092
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deleted, because I was wrong!
Old 6 Jul 2022, 16:55 (Ref:4118461)   #1093
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Deleted, because I was wrong!
Still trying to work-out one of Bauble's conundrums??
Old 6 Jul 2022, 16:59 (Ref:4118462)   #1094
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Can’t be bothered with that
Old 6 Jul 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4118487)   #1095
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Old 6 Jul 2022, 23:17 (Ref:4118496)   #1096
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You sure know how to hurt someone
Old 7 Jul 2022, 08:14 (Ref:4118517)   #1097
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You sure know how to hurt someone
No Bob, I've known you for far too many years for that! Merely a recognition of your superior knowledge & prowess.
Old 7 Jul 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4118530)   #1098
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Sorry, John, as you say we go back a long way, your post was perfectly OK, it was the follow up that so wounded my sensibilities. Some people can be very cruel.

I hope to emerge from my darkened room before the end of the year, and maybe begin to re-build my shattered ego.
Old 7 Jul 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4118535)   #1099
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Sorry, John, as you say we go back a long way, your post was perfectly OK, it was the follow up that so wounded my sensibilities. Some people can be very cruel.

I hope to emerge from my darkened room before the end of the year, and maybe begin to re-build my shattered ego.
I didn't think you still need your own dark room to develop digital photographs?
Old 8 Jul 2022, 09:34 (Ref:4118640)   #1100
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to get our electrically-converted classics out on circuit - and no doubt an opportunity for Iain to enjoy a proper French Croissant:

https://news.msv.com/msv-unveils-pla...o-circuit.aspx