Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3843576)   #1301
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooooooooooh

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/tea...onso-decision/

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/stat...82931830202368

Indy?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3843579)   #1302
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wow, so far a seriously summer silly season!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3843602)   #1303
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Could be a chess game coming up. Having 'lost DR to Renault, I can't see Red Bull wanting Sainz to go to McLaren so they will keep him in house at RBS.

McLaren will need a perceived big name, so might go for Kimi and take flyer on Norris.

Not many other options out there. Interesting situation for Zak Brown, he had all the McLaren eggs in Alonso's basket and went to great lengths to accommodate him with Indy and LM24 and putting his sunglasses brand on everything..

As Gary Anderson says, don't give the drivers too much power, it always bites you.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3843606)   #1304
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup, Alonso has been "a bit of a Suarez" at every team.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3843611)   #1305
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Can’t see RBR wanting Sainz as not quick enough and too much grief. But I can see them waiting for their option to expire (on 30 September?) to make McLaren sweat.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3843617)   #1306
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Oh to be a fly on the wall at McLaren board meetings.....their class of the field chassis turns out to be average, their star asset that they have invested so much time, money and effort into has gone for nil return, internal management squabbles destabilize the team, new designer signing apparently still under contract to another team and not exactly a queue of sponsors filling the CAR...

Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3843624)   #1307
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If McLaren wants experience, how about Raikkonen?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3843627)   #1308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Silly Season has well and truly started and F1's summer break isn't even over.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3843628)   #1309
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If McLaren wants a reasonably experienced driver, it’s hard to see further than Sainz.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3843633)   #1310
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sainz is experienced but how are his development skills?

he does have a recognizable name but is he big enough to change the story for Mclaren? is he big enough to draw in sponsors?

for me Kimi has got to be their target. the return of the iceman, imo, is the only story Mclaren can spin in their favour.

cynical take on this but Mclaren have a massive PR problem. a problem of their own creation but they really need a massive announcement to save themselves from the PR beast.

but i suspect the iceman will re sign with Ferrari if he hasent already.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3843640)   #1311
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does Räikkönen have the energy and motivation to drag a middling car/engine package up the grid? I suspect at his stage of career he wants well-remunerated plug-in-and-play.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3843641)   #1312
Moneyseeker
Veteran

How about a left field call - Alex Rossi....

Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3843643)   #1313
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Does Räikkönen have the energy and motivation to drag a middling car/engine package up the grid? I suspect at his stage of career he wants well-remunerated plug-in-and-play.
Mclaren will have freed up a lot of money by not having Alonso on the books next year so i think they would be able to pay him well.

as for the Kimster's motivation...who knows what motivates that guy!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3843644)   #1314
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

Alonso is leaving F1 because of what's been going on at McLaren, though this could be temporary if things improve.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138026

I therefore doubt very much, Rossi would want to make that move, considering the success he is having in IndyCar and the uncertainty surrounding McLaren; Alonso's departure only confirms that uncertainty.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3843648)   #1315
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can they compete? Less so next year.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3843651)   #1316
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:

Rossi is for the birds - I’m as likely to get the call. He isn’t experienced and hardly set the world on fire last time around.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3843653)   #1317
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I can just see Ron sat in his armchair smiling...
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3843655)   #1318
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
As I have said elsewhere of Williams, there is nothing inevitable about McLaren’s recovery from their current predicament. Still, they are not (yet) at the stage of taking pay drivers. But they need someone special to lead them out of this, and it’s not Räikkönen. It may not be Sainz. But who?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3843671)   #1319
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I can see McLaren go for a rather unspectular but solid pairing: Sainz and Vandoorne (*)
Expectation will be somewhat lower than Raikkonen-Sainz or Raikkonen-Vandoorne (or similar).
Let them put a lot of energy and money in the car, build a decent one and have a quiet and decent season.

(*) See Hulkenberg-Sainz at Renault this year
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3843672)   #1320
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Alonso is leaving F1 because of what's been going on at McLaren, though this could be temporary if things improve.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138026

I therefore doubt very much, Rossi would want to make that move, considering the success he is having in IndyCar and the uncertainty surrounding McLaren; Alonso's departure only confirms that uncertainty.
Pot stirrer in chief leaving on a sabbatical then?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3843678)   #1321
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

But... Rossi is the Anointed One by the IndyCar powers-that-be, the golden boy, the One Who Will, etc.

No way they'll release him to F1 until he's won the championship.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3843695)   #1322
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
But... Rossi is the Anointed One by the IndyCar powers-that-be, the golden boy, the One Who Will, etc.

No way they'll release him to F1 until he's won the championship.
I wouldn't say he is the Anointed One by the IndyCar powers-that-be, the golden boy, the One Who Will, etc., especially with his antics on track; he's more of a Bad Ass, to coin a phrase.

That said why would he want to fill the seat of a middling F1 team next year, when the IndyCar driver's championship is within his grasp and if he wins he can defend that, plus have another shot at winning the 500 again?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 22:54 (Ref:3843698)   #1323
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Ocon if Sainz does not happen at McLaren.
If Stroll gets a seat at FI, I suspect Stroll would keep the more experienced Perez leaving no decent seat for Ocon.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3843707)   #1324
Moneyseeker
Veteran

They will need to keep Ocon for Mercedes benefit, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
What about Ocon if Sainz does not happen at McLaren.
If Stroll gets a seat at FI, I suspect Stroll would keep the more experienced Perez leaving no decent seat for Ocon.
Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Aug 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3843708)   #1325
Moneyseeker
Veteran

I did say it was left field...but with de Ferran now at McLaren and the key talent aready signed up in F1, it occured to me that he might suggest they look over the Atlantic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Rossi is for the birds - I’m as likely to get the call. He isn’t experienced and hardly set the world on fire last time around.
Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk