Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Sep 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3847920)   #301
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i see it as a welcome result and hope the improvement continues
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3847932)   #302
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Bizarre on the gearbox when theirs is known to be far behind.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3847943)   #303
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Bizarre on the gearbox when theirs is known to be far behind.
Not bizarre; it’s a matter of pride and intent. It may be a foolhardy decision, but it’s perfectly explicable.

So, where do Williams go from here? Assuming Stroll leaves, you have to think Sirotkin is safe to stay. Who partners him? Another pay driver? Or Kubica? Vandoorne?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3847944)   #304
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely they have to go after Ocon, that really is the only way they are moving back up the grid any time soon as far as i can see.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3847972)   #305
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But can they afford to run Ocon, unless Mercedes bung them a hefty amount of cash to do so?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3847989)   #306
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
But can they afford to run Ocon, unless Mercedes bung them a hefty amount of cash to do so?
That would be the sweetener wouldn't it, surely Mercedes wouldn't have him drop out of F1 and where else is there for him to go, if Williams are still a serious team they have got to bend over backwards to get him haven't they.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3847992)   #307
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don’t doubt that Williams still WANT to be a serious team, but, at the end of the day, the books have to balance. I simply don’t know if Mercedes are willing to commit the resources Williams need to keep going in order to provide Ocon with a seat. And I mean I don’t know: could be yes, could be no.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 05:25 (Ref:3848056)   #308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don’t doubt that Williams still WANT to be a serious team, but, at the end of the day, the books have to balance. I simply don’t know if Mercedes are willing to commit the resources Williams need to keep going in order to provide Ocon with a seat. And I mean I don’t know: could be yes, could be no.
Aren't they losing Martini as their main sponsor after this season?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 4 Sep 2018 at 05:32.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3848069)   #309
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So I understand, yes.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3848072)   #310
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So I understand, yes.
Not wanting to state the obvious but without a major sponsor, Williams will be in serious difficulty.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3848079)   #311
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I really wish that one of the journalists who form the F1 cheer squad would go and have a chat to Ed Wood and Dirk deBeer about their former employer!
Or is that just too difficult for a journalist covering F1?
Old 4 Sep 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3848122)   #312
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Autosport: “However, Williams is the only other Mercedes-powered team on the grid with a vacant seat and its financial needs mean an engine discount is unlikely to be enough to place Ocon there.”
Old 4 Sep 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3848140)   #313
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope Willliams find enough backing for next season. And I also hope this Monza isn't a one off either
Old 4 Sep 2018, 22:31 (Ref:3848220)   #314
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I hope Willliams find enough backing for next season. And I also hope this Monza isn't a one off either
Agreed
Old 4 Sep 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3848221)   #315
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I fear that Monza may be very much a one-off. And, alas, there is no reason to think things will be any better next year - in fact, there’s every reason to think the team will slip further back with more restricted resources.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3848225)   #316
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would like to think their choice to produce their own gearbox has to do with keeping those jobs in-house and their staff employed.

Probably wishful thinking on my part though.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:09 (Ref:3848226)   #317
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I’m sure you’re right (though I imagine quite a bit of pride and, dare I say it, a touch of stubbornness were also involved). But the question is this: is it a decision the team can afford to make? Are they cutting their cloth according to their circumstances, or are they burying their heads in the sand and ignoring reality? As far as I know, Force India, Haas and Sauber buy in transmission from elsewhere (Mercedes and Ferrari), and I think that Williams might have been well advised to join them.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:21 (Ref:3848231)   #318
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The irony is, they are now in the same situation that Force India were. I don't want to be pessimistic but this could be the end for Williams. I hope not.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3848232)   #319
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I agree on both counts. It would break my heart to see Williams close its doors, and it’s a team still with huge potential. But it has no pre-ordained right to exist, and bills have to be paid. The hole left by Stroll and Martini will not be easy to fill.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:32 (Ref:3848234)   #320
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surprisingly their stock has been fairly resistant to their poor results.

No doubt, probabaly a lot of hubris on their part but to be honest we don't really know how well they do with their other business activities other than saying it seems to be keeping their share price stable(ish).

I mentioned staff earlier but to add to that, i would imagine there is also nice trade in after market gearboxes or some spinoff with buses or whatever.

Owing their own IP for something akin to what merc are building could very well be a nice little earner for them.

Agreed though that their race team is total pants these days
Old 5 Sep 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3848244)   #321
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, one must remember that Williams is more than just the race team. The Hybrid Power division was sold off a few years ago but there’s still Williams Advanced Engineering.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 07:04 (Ref:3848276)   #322
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I know it's only a drop in the ocean compared with the costs of running in F1 but I watched the TV programme about Guy Martin driving the old Williams (against Jenson Button in the 6 wheeled car) at Silverstone. Williams certainly do have some serious resources 'just' to keep their heritage fleet up and running. I can't see this creating much direct revenue (certainly not enough for it to be profitable), so the funding for this 'hobby' must be coming from somewhere.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3848279)   #323
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Williams still have great history. Be a big shame to lose them
Old 5 Sep 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3848282)   #324
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I know it's only a drop in the ocean compared with the costs of running in F1 but I watched the TV programme about Guy Martin driving the old Williams (against Jenson Button in the 6 wheeled car) at Silverstone. Williams certainly do have some serious resources 'just' to keep their heritage fleet up and running. I can't see this creating much direct revenue (certainly not enough for it to be profitable), so the funding for this 'hobby' must be coming from somewhere.

It was almost suggested in the programme about Frank Williams a little time ago that Sir Frank created the heritage division to provide a place for his son to call his own, whilst the rest of the business was left for Sir Frank and Claire to run.

I am guessing that Sir Frank makes sure that it is funded, whether that be from the holding company, outside funding or from his own pocket.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3848367)   #325
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Aren't they losing Martini as their main sponsor after this season?
And Rexona

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk