Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Oct 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3858263)   #76
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
What the flip was that bit when some kid started shouting neeeeowwwwww over the commentators? They didn’t explain that at all
I thought I was going mad

neeeooooowww
Old 21 Oct 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3858277)   #77
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
To be fair I think Hamilton gave him ample racing room given Max’s recent past and the fact Hamilton had a lot to lose by crashing. Still max is driver of the day for me and Vettel once again proves why he isn’t worthy of the championship this year
It was great fight but Max got the better of Lulu.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 23:07 (Ref:3858290)   #78
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I thought I was going mad

neeeooooowww
I watched the race on C4 and heard it as well. Sounded like someone imitating the sound of the car.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 23:45 (Ref:3858296)   #79
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well not the result anyone would have expected, best race so far this year IMHO, really pleased for Kimi
I'll second this, by far the best race this year, and as you say nice to see Kimi win.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3858323)   #80
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again Vettel fails to awknowledge it his responsibility to leave room on the track for the car on the outside.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3858335)   #81
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wow, what a race.

Glad to see Kimi back on the top step, he deserves it. Max what a drive from 18th, kept out of trouble. Shame for Ricciardo, he does well to keep the smile, but then as he said he's used to it by now.

Vettel/Ricciardo, racing incident, but yet more points thrown away. Hamilton may not have won the title at Austin, but the inevitable has just been delayed.

Fred, yet more frustration. Maybe Ferrari should put him in the car for the final two races once Lewis has wrapped up the title. I know, I'm dreaming

Anyway, both Magnussen and Ocon have been DQed, so Hartley and Ericsson have been moved up into the points.

And yes, I too wondered what the sound was when Lewis was chasing Kimi
Old 22 Oct 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3858340)   #82
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole race, the last few laps were epic in a "will he, won't he" kind of way.

Im intrigued as to why Vettel's Ferrari spins when he bumps the front wheel against another car, though. It's almost as if it's a driven wheel, which it can't be... can it?

Can't help feeling that Mercedes have the same strategist that Ferrari have had all year at this one, though!
Old 22 Oct 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3858350)   #83
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hamilton never had the gap over Kimi to enable him to pit a second time and come out into the lead. With the wonderful benefit of hindsight, Mercedes should have bought Hamilton in earlier, and at least he would have come out in front to Verstappen and only a few seconds behind Kimi.

I guess Mercedes were caught out because their tyre wear seemed worse than Red Bull and Ferrari.

Its nice to see Kimi win. I had a feeling that he might do something, as Ferrari seemed to have good pace during the dry practice session. Another great drive from Max. Also, Ricciardo would have been right in the mix too.

Another very sloppy weekend from Vettel. More points thrown away.

I love F1, but it is depressing seeing the gap between the top 3 teams and the rest. Renault were something like 1 minute or more behind? The midpack drivers have no cause to even put up a token resistance against any of the top 3 teams drivers who cut through the pack. Resistance is futile - which is sad to see. I hope this changes, and at least one or two of the midpack teams start to pressurise the top 3 next year.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3858359)   #84
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Im intrigued as to why Vettel's Ferrari spins when he bumps the front wheel against another car, though. It's almost as if it's a driven wheel, which it can't be... can it?
I think it's because he would have spun anyway, regardless of whether they had that light little touch.

Quote:
help feeling that Mercedes have the same strategist that Ferrari have had all year at this one, though!

Actually Mercedes made a few flaky decisions early in the season, when Ferrari were looking quite good. In particular they were criticised for not making pitstops under VSC or SC, so now they've swung the other way. There's a fine line, and they fell off it again.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3858379)   #85
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
would it be possible for (say) driver V to use the torque of his car to drift the rear into (say) driver R helping to nudge the latter off the track but for driver R to be aware of this, get out of the way leaving V to spin?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3858466)   #86
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I not sure that Kimi has gained a place off the start this season, so no reason he shouldn't gain one against Lewis then!
In hindsight, of course.....Ooooppppsss....

jimclark
Old 22 Oct 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3858470)   #87
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
My best, abbreviated, explanation....

Quote:
In a sense it is "driven" as it's countering a force, much the same as a driven wheel is countering the mass of the car resisting acceleration. Whilst turning the car is generating lateral force and the sudden reduction of the front wheels having to support it transfers that energy to the rear tires which are then overloaded so...poof...spin city.

jimclark
Old 22 Oct 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3858474)   #88
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
In a sense it is "driven" as it's countering a force, much the same as a driven wheel is countering the mass of the car resisting acceleration. Whilst turning the car is generating lateral force and the sudden reduction of the front wheels having to support it transfers that energy to the rear tires which are then overloaded so...poof...spin city.
Plausible

I'll clarify what I meant: when open-wheel cars have wheels interlock, when it's a front & rear we often see what appears to be a stupendous launch of a car as the driven wheel on car A imparts a load of extra energy to the non-driven wheel on car B. Sometimes this results in a car being literally launched into the air, sometimes a ludicrous spin for one or both cars (and not always the one with the non-driven wheel).

Twice this season, Vettel's bumped front (so non-driven) wheels and spun like a top. Maybe it's that the Ferrari is particularly sensitive to losing the front end, but the way it spins is rather reminiscent of the example I describe above - as though the front wheel on the Ferrari is actually being driven. But as I said, it can't be... can it?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3858475)   #89
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Am I mistaken, or did Vettel's contacts come sidewall to sidewall, not tread to tread? That's my recollection.....

edit: I like your signature and it would suit me except I would need to drop the "un"....

jimclark
Old 22 Oct 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3858478)   #90
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Plausible

I'll clarify what I meant: when open-wheel cars have wheels interlock, when it's a front & rear we often see what appears to be a stupendous launch of a car as the driven wheel on car A imparts a load of extra energy to the non-driven wheel on car B. Sometimes this results in a car being literally launched into the air, sometimes a ludicrous spin for one or both cars (and not always the one with the non-driven wheel).

Twice this season, Vettel's bumped front (so non-driven) wheels and spun like a top. Maybe it's that the Ferrari is particularly sensitive to losing the front end, but the way it spins is rather reminiscent of the example I describe above - as though the front wheel on the Ferrari is actually being driven. But as I said, it can't be... can it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOvpH8NSvU

He's on the brakes, so the rear wheels are already unloaded and light, and the cars already sideways and not recovered, so exerting any force on it was going to cause the spin. Also Riccardo can avoid spinning because he can just straighten the car and use the run off, whilst Vettel can't do that with a car on the outside.

Already being out of control, the rear wheels being unloaded, and not having any room caused the spin. Riccardo didn't spin because his car was already more planted and he could just drive off the road.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3858480)   #91
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Am I mistaken, or did Vettel's contacts come sidewall to sidewall, not tread to tread? That's my recollection.....

edit: I like your signature and it would suit me except I would need to drop the "un"....

'just answered my own question (at U.S. and Japan) by watching videos. It was laterall contact, not longitudinal. One minute in, U.S..... https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...e_weekend.html

and Japan.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3SItwAvKU

Last edited by jimclark; 22 Oct 2018 at 18:27.

jimclark
Old 22 Oct 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3858510)   #92
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Hamilton never had the gap over Kimi to enable him to pit a second time and come out into the lead. With the wonderful benefit of hindsight, Mercedes should have bought Hamilton in earlier, and at least he would have come out in front to Verstappen and only a few seconds behind Kimi.

No hindsight needed - my mate and I were yelling at the TV for Hamilton to be brought in as soon as he started lapping over a second or so slower - at least 4 laps before they did!

Sure he'd have been behind Kimi, but plenty quick enough to catch him and probably pass - at least have a good go....
Old 22 Oct 2018, 23:28 (Ref:3858521)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
No hindsight needed - my mate and I were yelling at the TV for Hamilton to be brought in as soon as he started lapping over a second or so slower - at least 4 laps before they did!

Sure he'd have been behind Kimi, but plenty quick enough to catch him and probably pass - at least have a good go....
I've shouted at the TV and sometimes it works...
Old 23 Oct 2018, 04:20 (Ref:3858547)   #94
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've shouted at the TV and sometimes it works...
Me too, but at least when it doesnt work that they did not listen to TV shouts you can sit back and say 'I told you so' after.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3858555)   #95
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Me too, but at least when it doesnt work that they did not listen to TV shouts you can sit back and say 'I told you so' after.
There is that.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3858565)   #96
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In hindsight, of course.....Ooooppppsss....

It was worth the jinx!
Old 23 Oct 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3858583)   #97
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Apparently, inside the paddock, other drivers are not happy that Vettel got this penalty.
20 drivers in total. 14 drivers on track at the time the red came out. Only 1 got a penalty. 2 said the penalty was harsh. 1 said the rule is 50/50. Then there's the 16 other drivers, who are ok with it and/or have not commented. Not even his team-mate spoke out. Yet we have one person trying to make it sound as if the majority of the "other drivers" have said the penalty for Vettel was harsh??? LOL... let me guess, it's only harsh because it's a red car, and the driver is a favourite??

Old 23 Oct 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3858585)   #98
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Another brain fart from Vettel, on the first lap! Nothing more I will say because seems a touchy subject on here. Good to see KR take the win. Not a KR fan myself, but that was a aggressive drive by KR and strategy by Ferrari, that paid off in the end. Although, the Mercedes cars were hampered by an possible threat of a protest from Ferrari, and having to revert back to an older spec, even though their update was cleared by the FiA. Ferrari's latest updates haven't worked and by reverting back to a much older spec, they have gained most of their lost speed of the last few rounds.

Great drive from Verstappen. 18th to second. Can't help but think what could have been for Daniel Ricciardo. A possible win, or even P2 was taken away from him. DR set his fastest lap of the race, then seconds later... the power cuts out completely - on a low speed corner - for what seemed like no reason!?? He has had the worst, umm... "luck" since his announcement on August 3rd. Possibly that update to his car Red Bull had fitted to mid August is still in his car??

Old 23 Oct 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3858616)   #99
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
20 drivers in total. 14 drivers on track at the time the red came out. Only 1 got a penalty. 2 said the penalty was harsh. 1 said the rule is 50/50. Then there's the 16 other drivers, who are ok with it and/or have not commented. Not even his team-mate spoke out. Yet we have one person trying to make it sound as if the majority of the "other drivers" have said the penalty for Vettel was harsh??? LOL... let me guess, it's only harsh because it's a red car, and the driver is a favourite??

Cage successfully rattled.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3858624)   #100
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Seems like some other drivers also agree with Vettel
[...]
Apparently, inside the paddock, other drivers are not happy that Vettel got this penalty. .
Quote:
[...] 2 said the penalty was harsh. 1 said the rule is 50/50. [...] Yet we have one person trying to make it sound as if the majority of the "other drivers" have said the penalty for Vettel was harsh??? [...]
Where has someone tried to make it sound like a majority?
How many drivers does it take before it can be accepted as some other drivers in the paddock?

Just curious as to how much confidence we can have over reports from 'inside the paddock'? Would you be so kind as to confirm if any of the following 'paddock talk' is a majority?

Quote:
Some noise in and around the paddock on a full time drive for Kubica next year.
Quote:
A lot of rumours in the Spa paddock about announcements to come in the very near future.
Quote:
There are a couple of stories in the paddock on why Ferrari are covering the FOM camera.
Quote:
Lots of chatter in the paddock that the FiA did not/have not investigated it thoroughly.
Quote:
prolonging the cheating rumours in the paddock further into the season??
Quote:
Interesting rumour in the Mexico paddock regarding Ricciardo.
Quote:
There's a WILD story going around in the Japanese paddock.
And finally this one, which your own supporting article revealed that 2 drivers were named as raising complaints with the chicane???
Quote:
A boring race with hardly any (if any) overtaking I think. Most of the paddock saying the same. The drivers have requested the chicane be removed.