Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3285698)   #26
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow what an event, great mixture of cars and characters, our car behaved brilliantly bearing in mind it was finished on Friday morning before we set off, just need to find a way of using less fuel 380ltrs in one race is a bit much also some rain tyres.

Highlite for me was that "little Giant" it was so hard to get by it and then try and pull away, great driving.

Our only downer for the whole weekend has been that we got home at 5.00 am that's after leaving the track at 9.30pm, nothing to do with the event just our van had had enough and spat the dummy out and would not play any more, eventually the problem was traced to a faulty turbo pressure switch, all good now.

roll on 2014
Old 4 Aug 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3285699)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic shots of the rare lesser spotted Tango wader in its natural habitat.

Got to say a huge well done to all the drivers for (mostly!) negotiating the deluge without carnage. I thought red flag was inevitable.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3285703)   #28
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Fantastic shots of the rare lesser spotted Tango wader in its natural habitat.

Got to say a huge well done to all the drivers for (mostly!) negotiating the deluge without carnage. I thought red flag was inevitable.
That's the last thing we would want to do, and it is indeed a credit to the drivers that we never even considered it
Old 4 Aug 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3285708)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And equally well done to race control for trusting the drivers.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3285710)   #30
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
Wow what an event, great mixture of cars and characters, our car behaved brilliantly bearing in mind it was finished on Friday morning before we set off, just need to find a way of using less fuel 380ltrs in one race is a bit much also some rain tyres.

Highlite for me was that "little Giant" it was so hard to get by it and then try and pull away, great driving.

Our only downer for the whole weekend has been that we got home at 5.00 am that's after leaving the track at 9.30pm, nothing to do with the event just our van had had enough and spat the dummy out and would not play any more, eventually the problem was traced to a faulty turbo pressure switch, all good now.

roll on 2014
We saw you had problems leaving the circuit, and when we stopped on the A14 I thought you was gonna go by, when I didn't see ya I assumed I'd missed ya

Thanks for attending yet again... Great stuff
Old 4 Aug 2013, 15:37 (Ref:3285720)   #31
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, there was a second post for the puddle splashing as promised bu it seems to have disappeared. I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3093.jpg   600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3094.jpg   600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3099.jpg  

600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3158.jpg   600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3179.jpg   600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3235.jpg  

Old 4 Aug 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3285723)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, as you can see David's head is, mostly, visible through the mist on the screen, the spray and rain. Therefore I can only assume that the main visibility problem was related to poor preparation of his spectacles - no anti-mist cleaning or something like that.

The "hand out of the window directing air in" trick may not have helped either - probably more moisture than air ...

However, when the sun came out again I would guess that driving half the circuit became doubly difficult, even with the screen clearing.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_360MC_1D3__360MC_Donington_ONED3253.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3285768)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, we didn't catch up Grant although I did spot the giveway headgear from afar. Far too much orange in the last few posts, and not even marshals.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3285784)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Sorry, we didn't catch up Grant although I did spot the giveway headgear from afar. Far too much orange in the last few posts, and not even marshals.
John, had I known you were in attendance I would have made a point of finding you.

I went for a drive around the outside of the circuit in the afternoon. Not many people around so one might have hoped that I would spotted you but I suspect you might have been out and back by then if my estimates of the timing of your photos are correct.

Interesting (and good to see) that there is what looks like a lot of activity underway at the 'New' tunnel area. Did you get that far around in your perambulation?
Old 4 Aug 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3285801)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, got that far. It does look as though there will be a continuation of the perimeter road without the current deviation.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3285804)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, got that far. It does look as though there will be a continuation of the perimeter road without the current deviation.
That's what I thought. I think that maybe extra length is being added to the other side too. In which case the run-off area could be reset to close to the place it was before.

I suspect that the apparent extension for the perimeter foad has the benefit of making retaining work for the original earth bank viable.

Either way if the work is finally completed that has to be a positive outcome.

So, all being well, how would next year's 360 make use of a re-invigorated Donington infield?
Old 4 Aug 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3285806)   #37
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I agree about the Orange although I seem to recall some suggestion that Tango was painted Orange as a tribute to marshals. You may need to check with Mike on that one.

There was quite a lot of orange out on the track. Not much of an excuse I know, but the Tango sequence does seem to show the 'misting up' problem quite well. I can't think of a better excuse for leaving the aircon fitted. (I assume it would have had aircon ....). Or at least fix the water leak .....

(runs for cover ....)
Old 4 Aug 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3285832)   #38
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Grant, what a superb set of pics, OK if I lift some copies? I don't think I realised quite how much water there was, no wonder the steering kept going a bit light !
Old 4 Aug 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3285877)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Grant, what a superb set of pics, OK if I lift some copies? I don't think I realised quite how much water there was, no wonder the steering kept going a bit light !
Feel free David but those are rather small and low resolution for web convenience. I'm working through the day's output and will make everything available when done, hopefully in a day or two but things may be interrupted.

I think the relay team boys could have done well had they included a jet ski. (Could you get one past the scrutineers?). Failing that a rudder might have helped. And marine style circulated water cooling of course ...
Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3286005)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2012wb.jpg   IMG_2079wb.jpg   IMG_2083wb.jpg  

IMG_2088wb.jpg   IMG_2095wb.jpg   IMG_2125wb.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3286015)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With my spectator hat on, the delights of what I was doing seem preferable to getting totally drenched.

With my driver hat on I'm sorry to have missed it, I LOVE racing in the rain!!!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3286070)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha you wouldn't in my cars!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3286118)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,canvas isn't exactly the best route for maximum grip. Otherwise the principle is the same for any car.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3286182)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
With my spectator hat on, the delights of what I was doing seem preferable to getting totally drenched.

With my driver hat on I'm sorry to have missed it, I LOVE racing in the rain!!!
Max, whilst the rain was torrential at times in reality it didn't last too long at any point. Not like an all day wet. Of course the track took more than a while to dry out though and the unsurfaced ground was certainly muddy but not seriously bad.

I put a stop to the worst of the rain by donning my wet gear. Later, feeling somewhat warm and deciding the race might enjoy some more dampness, I removed the wet clobber and shortly afterwards the rain returned.. Just enough to set a challenge or two for the end.

I can't claim that success alone - I noticed others doing the same.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3286184)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more pics. Apologies for the more moderns but they did constitute the main body of the grid. I can't keep putting up pics of Tango, Rikki's Aston, and the E30!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2128wb.jpg   IMG_2134wb.jpg   IMG_2137wb.jpg  

IMG_2166wb.jpg   IMG_2167wb.jpg   IMG_2170wb.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3286193)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
A few more pics. Apologies for the more moderns but they did constitute the main body of the grid. I can't keep putting up pics of Tango, Rikki's Aston, and the E30!
The early MX5s must just about qualify for historic status these days - especially if one thinks of them as something like a Continuation Elan.

It's a pity the Jag had its issues. The Starions too.

I have to admire the MX5s in the 6 hours. I think they all did the 3 for 335 races as well (or some of them did). So if you include the qualifying sessions they would have been running for what - 8 or 9 hours of the day? That's quite impressive for a relatively low budget sprint car spec.

Nice pics John. It's not often one sees much from that end of the circuit these days.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3286264)   #47
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The early MX5s must just about qualify for historic status these days
I think the MX5 was launched in 1989, so whilst they perhaps not historic as yet, they probably fall under the banner of 'classic' and, in my view, in keeping with character of the event.

I enjoyed marshalling at the event and whilst it would have been to see a few more older cars out, it was a fun day of club racing. A particular highlight was the proximity of the Aston and the Daihatsu Charade (perhaps another one that falls under the 'classic' banner, by virtue of its age)at one point in the race, which, I suspect, was a first for most.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3286289)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Clare and the gang have been extremely brave to undertake the organisation of this race and it has cost them substantial amount of dosh.

Let's hope this years event has a least wiped its nose but if it hasn't best to get out of it.

I remember the early surge of interest by many on here who wanted the race.

Probably print a book of excuses of why most didn't turn up!

Some of the regulars who have given the event enormous backing deserve considerable praise.

Leave it at that!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3286291)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
"Hi, I'm Andy Meyrick, and I've been asked to report to you". That was the greeting I got on arrival at Donington from the young man looking precisely like a professional racing driver! OK, I thought, putting my race licence back in the van, I won't be needing that today....

Having done the first three 360 races at Snetterton, this years 4th at Donington wasn't supposed to happen for me. Clashing with the HSCC Croft Nostalgia meeting, and sandwiched between the 5 day Silverstone Classic and 5 day Nurburgring Oldtimer. Not good timing!

But then the enquiry came from Claire about running a charity entry for the Stroke Association, along with Radio Le Mans involvement. Still keen to go to Croft, Tango was offered as a suitable car. Subsequently, when I realised that a 6hr race at Donington could be achieved in one day as opposed to at least 3 for HSCC up North, and Claire broached the subject again, I volunteered to "run" the entry as well. Tenther David Smith, or MGDavid to be precise, joined John Hindhaugh and Paul Dunk as third driver, but possibility of a fourth was still under discussion. I packed race kit and licence just in case.....

Two qualifying sessions went fine, Andy posting our fastest time near the end after about 3 laps in the car......

Plan was for 45 minute stints with refuelling every other stop. With Paul and John being novices in the eyes of the MSA, and with no experience of racing for 90 minute periods, it seemed best way.

MGDavid took the start, holding a place somewhere around our qualifying position. One or two cars came in with early problems, then the rain came..... One by one cars came with water related problems, fix damage or to change tyres, while David 'felt' his way round steadily and reliably. (Apart from one trip through Coppice gravel- admitted later...) by the time he handed over to Andy, we were well inside the top ten. Showing his pro experience, Andy suggested the driver change be done in the garage to keep everything as dry as possible. So we did just that and it worked. With some competitive laps for a 30 plus year old, 130bhp car on still very wet track, Tango was somehow up to second briefly before Andy came in to hand over to Paul, and for us to put in first fuel. The self modified dump churns used in previous years worked fine and not a drop was spilled. Slowest bit was adjusting belts and seat for different drivers!

Talking of refuelling, if you think the regulations regarding clothing, extinguisher, fire person etc are OTT, you should have been at Donington to witness why they are not! One of the Mazdas came in to refuel and I turned to watch from pitwall. As the dump churn was removed an amount of fuel continued to pour out- onto boot of car and ground behind. As the driver started engine it erupted...... Amazing reactions from the guy on extinguisher had flames out before the pitlane fire truck could start it's engine, but the result could have been very different!

At end of Paul's stint on by now dry track, it was obvious looking at the temperature gauge that Tango was running hot. Then while stopped, the rad spewed an amount of water out of the overflow, so we waited for it to cool down enough to take the cap off and top up. John strapped in and away, it wasn't long before he was back in with a lethargic accelerator pedal. Basically it was just about to break in two, and indeed did when I pulled at it!

So, I set to under the dashboard to remove offending item- not easy as it was never designed to have the alloy 'Les Leston' extension that precluded normal removal! Bit of work with mole grips and eventually it was out, and David appeared with a portable welder from garage 8. Thanks Guys, never found out who you were! After a bit of tweaking (turning all settings to max!) I managed to fuse the two halves together with David holding one bit and mole grips the other, and then dived (literally) back under the dash to refit. Not really built for that sort of work...... Main problem was sweat misting up specs and working half blind! With cable re-connected John was sent out again with a round of applause form the watching audience. Sadly he was in again far too soon with temperature reading high, alternator light on and low voltage. With high pressure injection pump not good.... On opening the bonnet it was apparent the overflow was spewing out an unpleasant emulsified liquid straight at the alternator, which was not happy about it. After a short discussion it was decided not to risk the car or indeed anyone else so Tango was pushed into the garage to cool down, the plan being to get out again for the last two laps and hopefully classify as a finisher. John went back to his commentary, and David, Paul and I waited. Good job David, who was going to do the last two laps, decided to fire the old girl up just beforehand, because the battery would not turn the engine over. Quick borrow of a starter pack sorted that (thanks to you Guys as well!) but we couldn't risk leaving the car running until going out, so David shuffled his Beemer estate into the garage alongside, we connected jump leads onto Tango's battery and charged it......

So Tango took the chequered flag, and qualified as a finisher. Another 360MRC 6hr race was over. Last year Cliff Ryan Esq and I did the race without ever opening the bonnet, so guess it was never going to happen this time. But did it stop our enjoyment of the event? Certainly not! I don't think 6hrs has ever gone so fast, and there was never a dull moment. OK, the journey home was pretty boring, but that's about it.

Big thanks to everyone for entering into the spirit of racing for charity, especially young Andy, and hopefully help raise loads of dosh for The Stroke Association.

Tango will be back!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 Aug 2013 at 20:42. Reason: Typo
Old 5 Aug 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3286317)   #50
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report Mike, and such a shame after so much hard work. Hope it's repairable, mine never ran again after last year's 360.