Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Sep 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3848240)   #126
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My understanding is that the over-the-air NBC network will have 8 races in 2019. The rest will be on NBCSN.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3848248)   #127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
My understanding is that the over-the-air NBC network will have 8 races in 2019. The rest will be on NBCSN.
You are correct.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/03...ts-rights-deal
Old 5 Sep 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3848249)   #128
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'd want to see how Austin goes before seriously considering Mexico City anyway. I'm concerned that with the downforce reduction, some of those corner sequences may not work that well. There are also just a lot of single-line corners around the lap at Austin. You really can't pass in a single-class situation from Turn 3 to T9. The same goes for the "stadium", unless you start putting all four over the white lines; policing track limits is going to be fun.
COTA is talking about using a different configuration for IndyCar. COTA chairman Bobby Epstein told Racer:

Quote:
“We’ve got a slight modification that we think would be really fun to run with the IndyCars. It’s something we’re looking at, for sure. I don’t think the side-by-side comparisons are good for anybody, it’s really about the excitement of the race.”
And:

Quote:
“There’s a lot of flexibility in that area of things you can do,” he said. “It involves asphalt that’s not there today. We’ve got two designs in place that we’re looking at, and we’re looking at the cost of it. On the other hand, if we don’t do the modification, we’re looking at some creative things we can do in terms of some infield camping opportunities.”
Old 5 Sep 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3848257)   #129
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I saw that, and just commented on it.

The 2.3-mile short course would be simply awful.

They'd be better off creating potential infield access at the far end, as well as some shade there, than putting a road across from the middle of Turn 6 to the middle of the back stretch. You're only going to get straights half the length of the GP back stretch with that, so ~600 meters long. Even doing something that basic, you won't really gain anything in terms of lap speed or overtaking potential.

Again, they'd be better off using the F1 course, because you get the full, 1,207-meter-long back stretch, along with the pit straight, and the run from Turn 9 to T11. And that back stretch might help force some compromise in the setup, because you can't afford to run so much wing that you just stall out on top speed and can't pass into T12.

I know with what's already built it's probably too much of an ask, but it would be nice if they had a bypass for Turn 8, so you could straight-line from T7 to T9.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 04:25 (Ref:3848268)   #130
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Its getting close to the time to expand the schedule for more of everything; 20 races is a nice round number. The series is gaining enough traction to not have to worry too much about conflicts of other sports.

I'm sure that I am not the typical viewer, but I'd watch anything motorsports over anything stick-and-ball any month of the year. Always thought it silly to avoid overlapping into the NFL season.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3848273)   #131
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The COTA race has been confirmed for March 24, 2019. Press release says 3.4 mile circuit.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/09...-Miles-Epstein

Kind of annoys me that in the same press release Indycar is claiming/inferring to have been involved in the LBGP for 36 years. Not that 11 years is anything to sneeze at, but they inherited a decades old successful event.

I participated in the 1984 CART series race there, don't think the Indycar folks had anything to do with it.

Last edited by mstets; 5 Sep 2018 at 06:20.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3848298)   #132
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
The COTA race has been confirmed for March 24, 2019. Press release says 3.4 mile circuit.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/09...-Miles-Epstein

Kind of annoys me that in the same press release Indycar is claiming/inferring to have been involved in the LBGP for 36 years. Not that 11 years is anything to sneeze at, but they inherited a decades old successful event.

I participated in the 1984 CART series race there, don't think the Indycar folks had anything to do with it.
Previous history, whether it's CART or Champ Car, has been absorbed into IndyCar. Having said that, from 1980 CART's full title was the CART PPG Indy Car World Series.

Post split there was a squabble between CART and the IRL, as to who should own the name IndyCar. This lead to a settlement with CART agreeing to give up the use of the "IndyCar" trademark following the 1996 season and the IRL would not use the name before the end of the 2002 season, though in actuality CART continued to use IndyCar upto and including 1997.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3848300)   #133
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
I'm sure that I am not the typical viewer, but I'd watch anything motorsports over anything stick-and-ball any month of the year. Always thought it silly to avoid overlapping into the NFL season.
I'm a stick and ball guy, but watch racing either at the same time, over the other or on replay. I'm just not sure why many sports HAVE to avoid the juggernaut of football at all costs. I'm sure they know something we don't..
Old 13 Sep 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3849955)   #134
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Guess we'll know how much slower Indy is than F1

https://racer.com/2018/09/13/indycar...configuration/
Old 14 Sep 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3849972)   #135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Guess we'll know how much slower Indy is than F1

https://racer.com/2018/09/13/indycar...configuration/
Not surprising, as the V10 F1 cars were lighter: 1323 lbs or 600 kg with water, lubricant and driver, as opposed to a Lola with a dry weight of 1,550 lbs or 703 kg.

Interesting to see COTA will be used by IndyCar for Spring training, next season.

Spring training, sounds like MLB.

https://racer.com/2018/09/13/indycar...ining-at-cota/
Old 30 Nov 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3867071)   #136
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yay, I bought tickets and IndyCar paddock passes for Long Beach GP. Our wedding date will be the day before the April fools day and we're going to LA week after that.

It wasn't too hard to sell the idea of attending the race weekend as we've already been in Jerez for the F2/GP3 and in Japan for Super GT.
Old 30 Nov 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3867100)   #137
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Yay, I bought tickets and IndyCar paddock passes for Long Beach GP. Our wedding date will be the day before the April fools day and we're going to LA week after that.

It wasn't too hard to sell the idea of attending the race weekend as we've already been in Jerez for the F2/GP3 and in Japan for Super GT.
Congratulations.

Please post some photos of the race weekend.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3874943)   #138
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Congratulations!

Am I right in thinking we met in Toronto a few years back? That was you, right?
Old 19 Jan 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3877142)   #139
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Congratulations!

Am I right in thinking we met in Toronto a few years back? That was you, right?
Yup, that was me
Old 22 Jan 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3877699)   #140
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup, that was me