Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Dec 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3872654)   #1
Mr.Tin
Rookie

Mr.Tin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standard 10 with Vitesse engine...

Hi all, I want to make a 1/32nd scale slot car model of the Standard 10 with a Vitesse engine that I saw at an April 1964 meeting at Snetterton. I seem to remember the driver was called Llewellyn? It was grey with contrasting coloured wheels, I think.
I made the master pattern for Penelope Pitlane Models, but they have disappeared.
I have already made the Top Gear racing yellow Mini of David Alexander that was at the same meeting.

A picture would be wonderful.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 1 Jan 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3873415)   #2
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't ring any bells with me but I will have a look to see if I have anything later this week.

I remember the Alexander Mini well though, a frequent visitor to Snett.
Old 1 Jan 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3873416)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
A Standard 10 was my first car (which sadly made it onto the road) so I've always taken an interest in them. I do seem to remember pictures of one in the 1970's that could have been some sort of racer and it had very basic wheel arch extensions (spats).
Old 1 Jan 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3873418)   #4
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A Standard 10 was my first car (which sadly made it onto the road) so I've always taken an interest in them. I do seem to remember pictures of one in the 1970's that could have been some sort of racer and it had very basic wheel arch extensions (spats).
I think there were one or two racing in the '60s. A Standard 10 is the only race car I have lapped Goodwood in (as a passenger).

A friend still has the Standard 10 he learned to drive on, his father having bought it new, I think at the time of the Suez Crisis because it was economical!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 00:42 (Ref:3873517)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember one back in the 60s around the circuits, and I think it was called "The Bog Standard" and it was grey. I used to work on Standards when I "were a lad" and they weren't the most exciting cars ! the Standard 8 didn't have an opening boot unlike the much more "powerful" 10
I would assume that the non opening boot would have been a cost saving back then Lots of things were omitted to save money on cars post war cars like heaters and in new vans options were also headlining/passenger seat/carpet/windscreen washers and of course seat belts.
Tell the kids that today they won't believe you
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jan 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3873564)   #6
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I seem to remember one back in the 60s around the circuits, and I think it was called "The Bog Standard" and it was grey. I used to work on Standards when I "were a lad" and they weren't the most exciting cars ! the Standard 8 didn't have an opening boot unlike the much more "powerful" 10
I would assume that the non opening boot would have been a cost saving back then Lots of things were omitted to save money on cars post war cars like heaters and in new vans options were also headlining/passenger seat/carpet/windscreen washers and of course seat belts.
Tell the kids that today they won't believe you
Well done Gordon, that rings a bell!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3873619)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tin View Post
Hi all, I want to make a 1/32nd scale slot car model of the Standard 10 with a Vitesse engine that I saw at an April 1964 meeting at Snetterton. I seem to remember the driver was called Llewellyn? It was grey with contrasting coloured wheels, I think.
I made the master pattern for Penelope Pitlane Models, but they have disappeared.
I have already made the Top Gear racing yellow Mini of David Alexander that was at the same meeting.

A picture would be wonderful.

Cheers,
Martin
Sorry, I've had a quick look but don't appear to have anything. The only programme I have fora meeting in April 1964 was one on the 12th. There's no Standard in the Saloon entry list, although there is a Triumph Vitesse.

If I subsequently discover anything I'll let you know.