Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 May 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3406377)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Jaguar Heritage to build 6 new Lightweight E-types...

That is, according to an item in Autocar this week, allocating 6 chassis numbers assigned but not used in the 60s.......

According to the piece, 18 cars were originally planned when the period 12 were produced, so they are just finishing the production run. Nice!

Old 14 May 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3406386)   #2
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many lightweight E-types will that make it, then?
Old 14 May 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3406387)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poor Eagle!

I missed that in Autocar today - is this in the Best of British edition?
Old 14 May 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3406391)   #4
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's covered in a few sources today. The Autocar one is:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...weight-e-types
Old 14 May 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3406423)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
It's covered in a few sources today. The Autocar one is:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...weight-e-types
Autocar article says they will be built to original specification.

Hmm.

As they were intended for racing originally and, presumably, now as well, would that imply they will be factory fitting the various safety devices required to put them on a track? Or will they need to be stripped and, er, rebuilt first?
Old 15 May 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3406475)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Probably as quick as the Monaco C !

Same age?
Old 15 May 2014, 06:23 (Ref:3406486)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Poor Eagle!

I missed that in Autocar today - is this in the Best of British edition?
This week, May 14th issue.

Who will build them- maybe it could be Eagle, on behalf of JH? The name Jaguar Heritage covers a lot but not race car build. But there is JD Classics who prepare and run their race fleet, so could they be building the new cars? Maybe with help from subcontractors......

Edit- according to the Telegraph they will be built at Browns Lane and come with HTP papers....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 15 May 2014 at 06:27. Reason: Addition
Old 15 May 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3406497)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the 5.3ltr engine be an option?
Cant help but think that Jaguar are just a little behind the times.
Old 15 May 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3406522)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It didn't take long....... http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/05/15/ja...ew-recreation/
Old 15 May 2014, 09:09 (Ref:3406534)   #10
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
This week, May 14th issue.

Edit- according to the Telegraph they will be built at Browns Lane and come with HTP papers....
In somebodies garage then as its a housing estate IIRC.
Old 15 May 2014, 10:18 (Ref:3406563)   #11
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I like the "metal" of the spokesman
Old 15 May 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3406582)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being the anorak that I am I have read several books about the lightweights and I don't recall the extra chassis numbers being previously discussed. I guess if correct it's no different from the DB4GT Zagato's a few years back.

With so many facsimile's GT40's, Cobras, Élan 26r's as well as E Types racing it does seem we can no longer ignore them and must assume they are here to stay. As values of originals keep climbing the argument will become more compelling. As has been said so many times before there are several well known cars racing today that pass off as original but carry little more than a gearbox from period so this is far from a new issue.

Don't know if this is correct but I was told by a friend who is a bit more plugged in than me into high end race cars they will be in the region of £1 million - so not sure if that makes the current replica "lightweight" cars cheap or not - certainly these presumably will always be worth more as officially sanctioned.
Old 15 May 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3406584)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Probably as quick as the Monaco C !

Same age?
Not quite - unless the Es already exist ....
Old 15 May 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3406589)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great piece in Sniffpetrol but think they picked the wrong model. Should have been the later and unloved XJ40 version.....

Re Browns Lane- if it is in the Telegraph that the new cars are to be built there then it must be true! Or is that the Mail.....

Old 15 May 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3406601)   #15
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the stories is that Jaguar had 6 spare/unfinished chassis lying around, odd that no one had spotted them before!

The story about previously allocated chassis numbers is presumably to avoid having to meet modern requirements (which a current manufacturer would be obliged to do) - in the same way that Flugwerks' new Fockewulf FW190s did not have to meet current standards (which would be impossible) because they used numbers that had already been allocated.

Original specification could mean that they won't be able to use many of the currently available replacement parts... If they are to original spec. they will be considerably slower than some of the 'original' cars.
Old 15 May 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3406612)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
If they are to original spec. they will be considerably slower than some of the 'original' cars.
Old 15 May 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3406615)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Original specification could mean that they won't be able to use many of the currently available replacement parts... If they are to original spec. they will be considerably slower than some of the 'original' cars.
Hmm. That means it could be an interesting, though somewhat obscure and expensive, way to make a point modern lightweights.
Old 15 May 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3406638)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They presumably will be all original apart from bits that are not!

Probably already sold to the usual Jag gang.
Old 15 May 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3406678)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly a good time for the original owner of CMS to bite the bullet ans get a body built for the bulkhead section, complete with chassi number, for the original e type prototype.?There must be a build sheet somewhere, probably in an old mechanics dusty tool box waiting to be discovered in a dark corner of Browns Lane!
Old 15 May 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3406685)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Funny you mention that. I was out in the Cortina the other weekend and driving through Bexhill I was sure I saw half a dozen half built Elva GT160's piled up in a field, they were difficult to see behind the 75 ex Jim Clark Lotus Cortinas the guy had collected.

Quote:
One of the stories is that Jaguar had 6 spare/unfinished chassis lying around, odd that no one had spotted them before! .
Old 15 May 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3406686)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
'New old stock' is the phrase to use for made last week and sprinkled with hoover dust than placed in a tatty box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
They presumably will be all original apart from bits that are not!.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3406709)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did we not talk about building recreation cars on here a few years back.I think I outlined who was going to head up the build departments.Think I got job as tea boy.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3406717)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did we not talk about building recreation cars on here a few years back.I think I outlined who was going to head up the build departments.Think I got job as tea boy.
As an ex-Jaguar Cars Browns Lane employee (sort of) circa 1976 I might be able to advise on any industrial relations issues. Or should that be 'industrial non-relations'? Blimey, what an eye opener that period was to a then young fresh-faced Jag-sponsored engineering under-graduate newly arrived in the Midlands from 'up north'.

I decided to follow a somewhat different career after that.
Old 16 May 2014, 00:20 (Ref:3406815)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
T-square boy surely?
Old 16 May 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3406816)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
As an ex-Jaguar Cars Browns Lane employee (sort of) circa 1976 I might be able to advise on any industrial relations issues. Or should that be 'industrial non-relations'? Blimey, what an eye opener that period was to a then young fresh-faced Jag-sponsored engineering under-graduate newly arrived in the Midlands from 'up north'.

I decided to follow a somewhat different career after that.
So .... is that where you picked up the clock watching habit?