Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jun 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3544162)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thats one good looking 'E' Type! The changes to the nose really work... (IMO!)

Old 2 Jun 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3544169)   #102
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Is That a 'Newey Nose' or just another variation on the theme?
Old 2 Jun 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3544174)   #103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Is That a 'Newey Nose' or just another variation on the theme?
It would have been a safe bet- for someone bring that up!

At least the Select Edition is not purporting to be be original.....
Old 3 Jun 2015, 07:24 (Ref:3544456)   #104
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've raced against those E Types at the Lime Rock Historic Fall Festival. They are a very well developed & extremely fast pair of cars that either finish on the podium or not at all.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 12:35 (Ref:3545176)   #105
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!

Bet they have not HTP
Old 5 Jun 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3545179)   #106
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They would not need HTP's but bet they would get them if they really tried when you see some of the E Types that do get them here!

Remember that when PA bought in regs for ETypes at Le Mans Classic a very well known prep per stated to PA that it would rule out 99 % of UK cars.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3545309)   #107
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
They would not need HTP's but bet they would get them if they really tried when you see some of the E Types that do get them here!

Remember that when PA bought in regs for ETypes at Le Mans Classic a very well known prep per stated to PA that it would rule out 99 % of UK cars.
It bugs me all this talk of replica or not…

They are lightweight e-types…6 off. Built by Jaguar.
Do they have history…NO
Are they Jags…Yes.

What an arse Lord March was on the telly…Talking Shite about never inviting them or replicas to his private boys club..All the while being buzzed by a gaggle of Listers!! How many of which were built by Brian originally!!! Hypocracy…

We should be applauding the fact that a mainstream manufacturer still wants to do something like this and moreover still has the ability to do so..

N.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3545311)   #108
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Shaun Lynn is no arse and In his opinion they should not be included .

It's an old topic that has been talked about on here for years and people are totally split.

In a perfect world only cars with continuous histories should be raced.

Unfortunately that doesn't work so you need replicas, re engineered, copies or whatever you want to call them to make the racing work.

Amazing that these copies, fakes grow histories in time

Seems the record is a B8 with five versions all with same chassis no.

The Jags are reasonable replicas but built differently and for a different reason to the originals
Old 5 Jun 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3545313)   #109
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

BTW Charles March has done more for historic racing than all the other UK promotors put together,

May be solely for commercial reasons but historic racing would be poorer without the Goodwood set up.

It's his party and he rules.

Suppose it's a bugger if you are not on invitation list but that's life.

We do not get invitations for our GT's but you just have to live with it.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3545314)   #110
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Shaun Lynn is no arse and In his opinion they should not be included .

It's an old topic that has been talked about on here for years and people are totally split.

In a perfect world only cars with continuous histories should be raced.

Unfortunately that doesn't work so you need replicas, re engineered, copies or whatever you want to call them to make the racing work.

Amazing that these copies, fakes grow histories in time

Seems the record is a B8 with five versions all with same chassis no.

The Jags are reasonable replicas but built differently and for a different reason to the originals
But they are not replicas..they are jaguars built by jaguar as jaguars and most likely some of them will be raced just like the older jaguars which were built by jaguar all be it at an earlier time.

A one day old car has history!!

The history of the later cars commences at 2015. The earlier cars have 50 years more history..

Personally I would just like to see 6 more lightweight e-types on circuits racing..

You only need replicas because there are more and more investors buying into racing and convincing others that there cars are too valuable??? Anything can be re-built, no matter how badly damaged and lets face it most old racing cars have been re-built…I don't get this too valuable to race crap that is often spouted..The more valuable a car the more viable it is to repair….I think a lot of people get very rose tinted specs when it comes to these old cars raced when they were new cars, modified, pranged, fixed, re-shelled, raced under several identities….All History.. and everything that happened yesterday is history…

N.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3545323)   #111
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

An historic car in my opinion is one that has a history from the period it raced in.

These new cars are made by Tata whose subsidiary British car plant put these approx copies together.

If they want to race them build twenty five more and have their own grid.

Are you going to buy one?
Old 5 Jun 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3545327)   #112
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
An historic car in my opinion is one that has a history from the period it raced in.

These new cars are made by Tata whose subsidiary British car plant put these approx copies together.

If they want to race them build twenty five more and have their own grid.

Are you going to buy one?
I only wish I had the dosh John.
So by your logic.. If an indian buys an English cottage it is no longer an English cottage.

i personally wish that they would lower the quality to the rust bucket level that they were built like in period and put them in series production again at an affordable price. I wonder what that would do for the values of the originals…which after all were a *******ised hooky copy of the original built to win races by bending the race rules of the day.…Its funny how perceptions change over time.

I will be playing with my part period replica in July at Croft.
that'll do me.

N.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 06:36 (Ref:3545423)   #113
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Kraft now own Cadburys but the crap we now buy in the States is crap and nowt like I had when I was a kid.

May be same building in Browns Lane which is unlikely but that and the name on the car are the only real similarities to those old bags of bolts.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3545440)   #114
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What seems to be being missed with these cars, amongst all the huffing and puffing, is that they aren't some dodgy, smoke-and-mirrors attempt to confuse, cheat, blag or otherwise pull the wool.

They have a clear and documented build, by the current incarnation of the original manufacturer, so are hardly likely to develop some miraculous and fabricated 'past life' of great deeds and glory.

In that way surely they are the same as the continuations built by Lister, Lola and others?
Old 6 Jun 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3545446)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlracing View Post
What seems to be being missed with these cars, amongst all the huffing and puffing, is that they aren't some dodgy, smoke-and-mirrors attempt to confuse, cheat, blag or otherwise pull the wool.

They have a clear and documented build, by the current incarnation of the original manufacturer, so are hardly likely to develop some miraculous and fabricated 'past life' of great deeds and glory.

In that way surely they are the same as the continuations built by Lister, Lola and others?
Except that they have been built using technologies, techniques, components and materials that were not available 50 years ago. These cars are no different, in my eyes anyway, to such creations as the Eagles which to the un-trained eye look almost identical to a fully restored E-type.

I am in the camp that hopes that the good Lord March keeps to his word and they are not invited to participate in his events, and that in future he also bans such creations as the Newey E-type, which, again to my mind, breaches the spirit of the rules if nothing else.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3545462)   #116
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Adrian's thing is untouchable at Goodwood.

Runs in a special class of its own that doesn't require scrutes,HTP's or anything else.

That's being important!
Old 6 Jun 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3545479)   #117
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, duly noted that you refer to a thing!
Old 6 Jun 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3545498)   #118
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Except that they have been built using technologies, techniques, components and materials that were not available 50 years ago. These cars are no different, in my eyes anyway, to such creations as the Eagles which to the un-trained eye look almost identical to a fully restored E-type.

I am in the camp that hopes that the good Lord March keeps to his word and they are not invited to participate in his events, and that in future he also bans such creations as the Newey E-type, which, again to my mind, breaches the spirit of the rules if nothing else.
Again I don't accept this..Ally is Ally…The essential builds are period correct..I dare say that yes some engine parts, rubber tyres etc etc have more exotic materials but I am damn sure that so do all the other front running e-types.

Its just a car, built like any other, except with a bit more care and attention to detail then the originals..

The best thing to do with cars is race em!!
Old 6 Jun 2015, 12:59 (Ref:3545519)   #119
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except that they have been built using technologies, techniques, components and materials that were not available 50 years ago.
And how many cars - and this applies to road as well as race cars - have not at some point had some form of change, upgrade, replacement or other alteration from their original virgin, ex-factory state that can honestly be said not to include 'technologies, techniques, components and materials' that were not available at the time of first build? Other that is, than a car that's just rolled of the dealer's forecourt?

Quote:
These cars are no different, in my eyes anyway, to such creations as the Eagles which to the un-trained eye look almost identical to a fully restored E-type.
Because they ARE no different from an E-type...actually, that's because they are E-types; genuine, Jaguar-built E-types with genuine, original documentation to support that. As I said - and I'm quite sure of this - no-one is attempting to pass them off as anything other that what they are.

Were it the case that they were not genuine, but forged vehicles to which someone was attempting to ascribe a glorious history then yes, I can see that would be a clearly fraudulent act, but these aren't.

Get them out on track, where they belong, with the full understanding of what they are and let them build a history!
Old 6 Jun 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3545524)   #120
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
In response to the above two posts, I regret I can offer no further contributions as we obviously live in different worlds.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3545542)   #121
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read and re-read the hand bag's at dawn points of view one un-deniable fact seems to have been missed, the successful lightweight E-type in competition was heavily modified, mostly at the owners expense with very very little support from the then Jaguar company. The 'new' batch are not being 'given' away, it is a commercial venture, with hoped for financial rewards for the present day company leaning on competition results, acquired largely by privately financed efforts. as for Lord March, again, yes his circuit, his party, his choice, to which to which Mr. Ruston is an agreeable convert.....
Old 8 Jun 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3546122)   #122
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
the successful lightweight E-type in competition was heavily modified, mostly at the owners expense with very very little support from the then Jaguar company. )
Jaguar helped where they could, just ask Peter Sutcliffe !
Old 8 Jun 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3546256)   #123
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Jaguar helped where they could, just ask Peter Sutcliffe !
Not the experience of two other Peter's, have to admit no complaints on the hospitality afforded myself personally by staff in the comp shop.