Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 May 2015, 05:51 (Ref:3542397)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clubmans Register - 50th Anniversary races - Donington 6/7 June

It's the Clubmans Registers 50th Anniversary this year. For those not familiar with Clubmans cars I am talking about the quirky front engined sports racers such as Mallocks, Phantoms and Visions etc.

Clubmans cars have been at the forefront of accessible Motorsport throughout that 50 years and that remains the case today. They are quick cars, too, and back in their hay day they were F3 quick. They are still one of the cheaper but fastest types of race car per £ today.

Famous designers cut their teeth in the Clubmans world and drivers such as Derek Bell started their racing in them.

On 6/7 June the Clubmans Register will be celebrating its 50 continuous years with a double header race meeting at Donington Park as part of the British SuperKart GP meeting. There are 2 races taking place as part of this years Championship, demonstration parades and static displays. The grid features 36 cars plus reserves.

The Classic Clubmans group (for pre 1980 cars) are having their celebration at Snetterton on 13/14 June as part of the HSCC Autosport 3 Hour meeting, whilst the Clubmans Register will also be holding a track day at Curborough on 11 July.

These Must be great opportunities to see these cars in action and maybe wet your appetite for getting involved in the next 50 years!!!
Old 31 May 2015, 07:31 (Ref:3543176)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max Mosely raced in the series as a youngster, and on the 40th Anniversary Meeting at Silverstone he turned up and drove in a parade, if I remember aright, and presented the prizes.

At the time he was President of the FIA and it was the weekend of the Canadian Grand Prix.

I always admired him for honouring is roots, when he could have been centre stage in Canada.

bauble.
Old 31 May 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3543225)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Derek Bell is meant to be there this year, he is the President of the Clubmans Register
Old 8 Jun 2015, 05:19 (Ref:3546002)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I enjoyed my day with the Clubmans crowd yesterday. Quick cars! 97 mph average lap speeds on the GP circuit in the Proto and Classic Class A cars, and perhaps even more remarkably, 91 mph average lap speeds in the 130 Bhp Cup Class.

Good to see the history of the category laid out from a Lotus 7, through various early and more recent Mallocks to the latest full bodied designs.

A very friendly bunch and good to chat to the designer of my recently acquired Phantom, Chris Greville-Smith.