Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2703425)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 should have just one race per weekend. If there are two with equal length, there wouldn't be one true winner per weekend, and I wouldn't tolerate that. If there was a sprint+feature format, the longer should be put in the end to make sure that everyone understands that its winner is the weekend winner. But the sprint race should be put in the end too, because if it was held first drivers would drive conservatively to make it to the feature race. That's a contradiction, therefore I'm against multiple races in a weekend. That's for F1 - I accept that championships based on the concept of fun (Superleague, Top Race, IROC) and development races have multiple races per weekend.

I like BootsOntheSide's criteria to determine the number of laps. I mean the "number of times the pole lap would go into X minutes", but with different minutes depending on the circuit. Currently, races on faster tracks always last less time than races on slower tracks, and I dislike that. I like that Monza lasts 1:20 and Monaco 1:45 in dry conditions, but I would also like a longer race in a fast track (Spa, 1:40) and a shorter race on a slower track (Hungaroring!, 1:20)
Old 2 Jun 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2703430)   #27
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 is about the best driver winning, and the current qualifying system reflects that. Grid reversing can be fun, but goes against that.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2703492)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
What is wrong with it as it is?
As the old saying goes, if ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 04:15 (Ref:2703591)   #29
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 is about the best driver winning, and the current qualifying system reflects that. Grid reversing can be fun, but goes against that.
LOL no it's not.

F1 is about the best car winning. The driver comes second.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2703860)   #30
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I'd say that I forgot that part. Schumacher in a Minardi won't win races. Hill in a Williams won a championship in 1996, but when he got a better teammate (Villeneuve) he didn't.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2703906)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
LOL no it's not.

F1 is about the best car winning. The driver comes second.
That's debatable.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2704200)   #32
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
Maybe we can shorten the **** ones like Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and lengthen the good ones like Monza, Spa, etc
5 laps for Bahrain/Abu Dhabi
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 3 Jun 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2704204)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
5 laps for Bahrain/Abu Dhabi
Each or between them?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2704217)   #34
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
That wouldn't work for Abu Dhabi because you wouldn't have the day-to-hight transition...
Old 3 Jun 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2704224)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Personally if there has to be a Gulf-State GP, limit it to one and bring back the French GP.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 04:49 (Ref:2704291)   #36
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am going to broach an idea of mine again, which I have not broached in a fair while. The minor details may be altered, but the idea remains.

Qualifying happens on (theoretically identical - with [theoretically] identical set-up) motorcycles. The teams have absolutely no impact on anything. It is all done by agreed third party contractors, which, as far as possible, have as little connection as possible with F1. The bikes are arranged in a 3-3-3-3-3 type format at an entrance to the track. The rider to use each bike is drawn, and the position in the "sitting field" for each bike is drawn after the drivers have been drawn.

The final draw finishes 10 minutes before the session begins. The bikes are arranged on the "grid" before the qualifying session begins. The session begins with an old-style Le Mans start.

Then it is a 60 minute session.

You are permitted one change of the front tyre, and one change of the rear tyre. There is one type of tyre designated the front, and one type of tyre designated the rear. If a random tyre failure fecks you, and your changes are up, then tough luck.

A rider can come to the pits, but there can be absolutely no changes at all (other than aforementioned tyre scenario). If your bikes fails, or you get taken out, or whatever, then tough luck.

Last edited by Dutton; 4 Jun 2010 at 05:12.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2704485)   #37
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bikes?

What?
Old 4 Jun 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2704509)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I am going to broach an idea of mine again, which I have not broached in a fair while. The minor details may be altered, but the idea remains.

Qualifying happens on (theoretically identical - with [theoretically] identical set-up) motorcycles. The teams have absolutely no impact on anything. It is all done by agreed third party contractors, which, as far as possible, have as little connection as possible with F1. The bikes are arranged in a 3-3-3-3-3 type format at an entrance to the track. The rider to use each bike is drawn, and the position in the "sitting field" for each bike is drawn after the drivers have been drawn.

The final draw finishes 10 minutes before the session begins. The bikes are arranged on the "grid" before the qualifying session begins. The session begins with an old-style Le Mans start.

Then it is a 60 minute session.

You are permitted one change of the front tyre, and one change of the rear tyre. There is one type of tyre designated the front, and one type of tyre designated the rear. If a random tyre failure fecks you, and your changes are up, then tough luck.

A rider can come to the pits, but there can be absolutely no changes at all (other than aforementioned tyre scenario). If your bikes fails, or you get taken out, or whatever, then tough luck.
What if some of the drivers have never ridden a bike before?
Old 4 Jun 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2704589)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's extend it to 400k. I've just got my 3-day tickets to the Grand Prix.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2704595)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Have you got good seats?
Old 4 Jun 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2704599)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does my cool box count?

Nah, it's too expensive for me to get Grandstand seats, so I've got bronze general admission.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2704605)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I haven't been to Silverstone in years.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2704618)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I went there in 1998- my first (and only until now) live Grand Prix experience. Hakkinen spun off in front of us just after Bridge. Schumacher won the race in the pitlane.

Never thought I'd see Schumacher in action again.

Forgive me my self-indulgent thread-hijacking excitement here.

I just had to share the thrill with someone.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2704635)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's fairenough. My first race was the Daily Express Trophy in 1973 but Brands was my local track as my folks live in E. Sussex and in the states it's Laguna Seca.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2704648)   #45
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me there's nothing wrong with the current race distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 is about the best driver winning, and the current qualifying system reflects that.
Since 2003 this is not the case any more.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2704658)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
To me there's nothing wrong with the current race distance.
I agree. If the distance is increased either bigger fuel tanks will be needed, or pitstops will have to be reintroduced so the cars can complete the distance. Either way more fuel will be needed putting up costs.

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 4 Jun 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2704714)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Pingguest, the current qualifying system puts on pole the fastest driver... under tight time conditions, I agree. But that still qualifies as "being the best", unlike partial or full grid reversing.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2704812)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I agree. If the distance is increased either bigger fuel tanks will be needed, or pitstops will have to be reintroduced so the cars can complete the distance. Either way more fuel will be needed putting up costs.

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
That says it for me, too.