Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Nov 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3864120)   #176
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably the factory-Ford-backed Tickford Racing organisation doesn’t mind its favourite pilot driving a Hyundai TCR...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Nov 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3864123)   #177
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
People clearly are left with the perception that if Hyundai is in the team name, that they are paying the bills. Quite the opposite is really true.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3864131)   #178
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presumably the factory-Ford-backed Tickford Racing organisation doesn’t mind its favourite pilot driving a Hyundai TCR...
Mr Mostert has a pre-existing relationship with the car's owner.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3864132)   #179
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you get a couple of big name drivers in, you'd guarantee some eyeballs.

Wonder if they will livestream on YouTube, or if they have the money to, that would guarantee an audience - and punters at least seem to like the look of the cars.

I guess there's a generation younger than me that grew up hotting up cars that were not Holdens and Fords, maybe they can catch that wave if they can get them to put their phone down...
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3864143)   #180
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why does it feel like SuperTouring all over again?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3864147)   #181
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A series propped up by benefactors, and the promotors owning half the grid?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3864156)   #182
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
A series propped up by benefactors, and the promotors owning half the grid?
_Hopefully_ the difference is there isn't allowed an arms race that renders competition null and void unless you have the latest toy.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3864161)   #183
Umai Naa
Veteran

Thankfully, their BOP covers all homologated cars.

So even the old FK2 Civic can still be competitive.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3864165)   #184
Mixer
Veteran

Tell that to the Golf drivers....
Old 19 Nov 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3864287)   #185
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Super touring in England was the best, if it could be half that great it would be superb! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gc4YFeD2PM

Super Touring struggled in Australia not because of anything wrong with Super Touring, but because the ATCC had a rival set of regulations -- splitting competitors between two series in a very futile manner. If the ATCC had Super Touring regulations with all the competitors in one series, it would have been a cracker!

For ATCC to see how successful (and wonderful) 2000cc regulations were in 1992 as demonstrated so superbly by Mr Needell: https://youtu.be/cEfiwyiV8hs?t=270 , to know that they would please BMW, Nissan & Toyota and then still create alternative, rival regulations is frankly explicable.

The TCR model seems to be the modern BTCC way with reverse grids for lots of action, which is definitely the right choice.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3864346)   #186
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Except Super Touring cars were high tech super expensive (which killed it) whereas TCR is much more controlled in spec and costs and development, the cars have hardly changed since the SEAT Series car the Formula was based on about 5 years ago. A 3 year old Golf is still competitive today and factory involvement is controlled as well.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3864351)   #187
Umai Naa
Veteran

The car that won TCR Europe was built in 2014, and has raced every season since.

They just keep updating them year on year. Makes buying a new chassis every year almost redundant, assuming it hasn't been heavily shunted.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3864432)   #188
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst winner Chaz Mostert samples TCR machinery

Well well well ... if they attract some of the co drivers of V8SC it would be really interesting
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3864434)   #189
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinghio44 View Post
Well well well ... if they attract some of the co drivers of V8SC it would be really interesting
Hardly, Moffat, D'Alberto and other co-drivers are not going to pull a crowd; they are all credentialled drivers but not a fan drawcard.

You'd think a smart Honda or Hyundai might like to get Leanne Tander into some marketing, but the family has a relationship with MPC/Audi.

The trick here is whether any of the manufacturers can work these cars into their promotions, marketing, social media etc.

I think we're a long way away from that.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3864444)   #190
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Hardly, Moffat, D'Alberto and other co-drivers are not going to pull a crowd; they are all credentialled drivers but not a fan drawcard.

You'd think a smart Honda or Hyundai might like to get Leanne Tander into some marketing, but the family has a relationship with MPC/Audi.

The trick here is whether any of the manufacturers can work these cars into their promotions, marketing, social media etc.

I think we're a long way away from that.
I said if...

One good thing is that the interest in the category is high. Now the promoters has to ride thw wave. IMO at the moment they're doing okay but as you said there is a lot work to do.

I don't expect massive numbers for the first season. If they can bring 15-16 cars on the grid it would be good. To start a new championship in Australia surely is not easy...
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3864453)   #191
Mixer
Veteran

I'm trying to like it, if it replaced SuperYoots I'd be happy.

Maybe better than Aussie racing cars, but not as entertaining as GT or Porkers for my dollar.

BUT none of those have top-selling manufacturers who could have their name on the door, which whether they pay for it or not, will help attract sponsors and fans.

Surely Hyundai and Honda would be smart enough to have a little display at the races showing off the latest thing from the hot shops?

Maybe I'm a dreamer.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3864504)   #192
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they're great small cars but would like to see a sequential shifter ala what they have in the Supercars rather than the flappy paddle shift mechanisms.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3864587)   #193
Umai Naa
Veteran

It makes no difference to anything whatsoever.

The DSG ones will shift themselves.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3864843)   #194
Umai Naa
Veteran

Interesting tid bit, is that Molly Taylor is over in Italy testing a Subaru Impreza TCR with Top Run Motorsport.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 22:28 (Ref:3864869)   #195
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Interesting tid bit, is that Molly Taylor is over in Italy testing a Subaru Impreza TCR with Top Run Motorsport.
Recovered from that super hard hit at the WRC round last weekend hopefully...
Old 21 Nov 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3864872)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran

Seems like a big ask, to jump on a plane and head straight to Italy right after.

Worth noting that the Capo family were involved in the process. Perhaps they'll throw their hat in the ring locally?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3864874)   #197
Umai Naa
Veteran

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/22...cars-for-2019/

Grid cap seems counter-intuitive, but probably won't be enforced. Reads like a smoke-in-mirrors attempt at encouraging people to make a commitment.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 23:06 (Ref:3864876)   #198
Umai Naa
Veteran

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/22...dorsed-events/

Ballsy move by ARG on this one. They may want to clarify their stance on it though, because there's bound to be an uproar akin to the GT3 mess from a year ago.

While I understand the motiviation behind it, take the UK, for example - there's more TCR cars over there NOT running in TCRUK than in it, but I really think it's unnecessary.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 23:15 (Ref:3864877)   #199
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/22...cars-for-2019/

Grid cap seems counter-intuitive, but probably won't be enforced. Reads like a smoke-in-mirrors attempt at encouraging people to make a commitment.
Is the 20 a minimum or maximum
Old 21 Nov 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3864878)   #200
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/22...dorsed-events/

Ballsy move by ARG on this one. They may want to clarify their stance on it though, because there's bound to be an uproar akin to the GT3 mess from a year ago.

While I understand the motiviation behind it, take the UK, for example - there's more TCR cars over there NOT running in TCRUK than in it, but I really think it's unnecessary.
Maybe they equated all the blokes and blokettes looking for drives at the test day as commercial interest in the series

Is Mr Salmon's rumoured 10 TCR chassis plan still happening?