Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Feb 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2137095)   #1
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much for US to LeMans trip?

I'm thinking about setting up a savings accout for my spare change to fund a trip to Lemans next year. What kind of expense woul I be looking at? I'm in an Orlando suburb so I have access to non-stop to UK/Europe flights. I'm thinking about staying a week over there. How much loose change do I need to save up for airfair, trains, hotel, rental car, meals, etc?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2137494)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how luxurious you want to be.
You could probably get Economy class flights for $500 return.
A car will cost you as little as $15 a day if you get something small and hire it for a week. You'll be able to pick it up from the airport and drive to Le Mans, and back to the airport on a single tank of fuel.
Hotel rooms will be expensive or difficult to find in race week. Allow $3-400 per night, or go camping instead.
Food - depends how much you eat. You can eat out reasonably cheaply. Dinner with a bottle of wine shouldn't set you back more than $30-40.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2137663)   #3
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just did an Orlando FL to Paris France return, June 7 to June 17 +/- two days each side. $1,400 OUCH.

and these were the discounted flights.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2137678)   #4
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
That is expensive! We've flown from Amsterdam to Buenos Aires for about $1250,-. Strange,a shorter distance,yet more expensive...

@1969MGCGTdriver,

If you don't mind camping,you MUST camp at Le Mans. It is THE best way of tasting the atmosphere and to enjoy all the partying and madness around the track. All the gear needed can be bought quite cheaply in all the big french supermarkets that are littered around the track area.
Camping also eliminates the need to "commute" up and down your hotel,which, especially on the friday and saturday is a hell when basically all the accessroads to the track are gridlocked.

Will it be your first visit? If so,you'll really start with what's probably gonna turn out to be a very spectacular year!
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2137682)   #5
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Depends how luxurious you want to be.
You could probably get Economy class flights for $500 return.
A car will cost you as little as $15 a day if you get something small and hire it for a week. You'll be able to pick it up from the airport and drive to Le Mans, and back to the airport on a single tank of fuel.
Hotel rooms will be expensive or difficult to find in race week. Allow $3-400 per night, or go camping instead.
Food - depends how much you eat. You can eat out reasonably cheaply. Dinner with a bottle of wine shouldn't set you back more than $30-40.
I doubt that you'll get a hire car for $15 a day, and it'll certainly need more than a tankfull of fuel! But then hotels can be found for a lot less than $3-400 a night more like $150-$300 I would have said, but do need to be booked well in advance, although lots of people have a rolling booking at their favourite hotel (like I do). If you don't mind a drive then there are plenty of places not too far away. And then there is always the camping option, you could always stay a couple of nights in Paris (for some reason) either side of your trip to LM. Plus there are entry tickets to buy, plus food, and beer, lots of beer I'd add $100 a day for that personally.

Ya gonna need a whole lot of loose change!

You don't say if this is a billy no mates trip or not! It's better if you can split some of the costs with someone else.

An even better idea than a week is to make it just over 2 weeks, that way you could do the test day as well as that is 2 weeks before the race And see a bit of France in the week off between the two.

There is one big problem with your plan...... once you've done it once, you're gonna wanna do it again!

Last edited by AstonGeoff; 25 Feb 2008 at 17:10.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2137683)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
That is expensive! We've flown from Amsterdam to Buenos Aires for about $1250,-. Strange,a shorter distance,yet more expensive...
Not uncommone for the exact same flights from US to Europe, or Europe to US and it is 50% less if originating from Europe then it is Originating from the US.

Or US to OZ and OZ to US. I use to do this flight several times a year
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2137689)   #7
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I just did an Orlando FL to Paris France return, June 7 to June 17 +/- two days each side. $1,400 OUCH.

DAMN!!!!
$1,400 just airfair? Maybe I'll check into flying into London and ride the Eurostar to Paris....

NEvermind...I just check and the prices end up about where you are at..
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2137692)   #8
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
The plan will be to camp at the track. I do it every year at Sebring and wouldn't have any other way. I guess it would be easier to just buy the camping stuff over there and leave it behind rather than bring my stuff from home?

P.S. I find it funny, if I want to travel over in the next month I can find flights for $200, but make it June and suddenly the cheapest is $950.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2137696)   #9
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Mmmh...sounds like quite a rip off. Your right,when booking from Buenos Aires to Holland it is indeed about $250,- more...

"There is one big problem with your plan...... once you've done it once, you're gonna wanna do it again!" So true! Better start the longtermplanning as well then

But driving from Paris to Le Mans and back would be doable on a tank of gas,would it? Paris-Le Mans is around 125 miles,include some driving around the track area and then the return...any reasonably economical rentalcar would do that easilly wouldn't it?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2137697)   #10
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
you could always stay a couple of nights in Paris (for some reason) either side of your trip to LM.
An even better idea than a week is to make it just over 2 weeks, that way you could do the test day as well as that is 2 weeks before the race And see a bit of France in the week off between the two.

There is one big problem with your plan...... once you've done it once, you're gonna wanna do it again!
I would actually rather spend the off-time in the UK. Been there once and want to see more. I didn't make it to MG Motorsport in Hemel-Hempstead last time and I promised myself that I would get there one day. (A chance to bring home some presents for my MGC GT!!)
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2137763)   #11
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver
The plan will be to camp at the track. I do it every year at Sebring and wouldn't have any other way. I guess it would be easier to just buy the camping stuff over there and leave it behind rather than bring my stuff from home?

P.S. I find it funny, if I want to travel over in the next month I can find flights for $200, but make it June and suddenly the cheapest is $950.
Last year, we had a room at a great hotel. I wouldn't go back and forth. We just took a nap in the car. Then went back to the hotel after the race.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2137817)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
DAMN!!!!
$1,400 just airfair? Maybe I'll check into flying into London and ride the Eurostar to Paris....

NEvermind...I just check and the prices end up about where you are at..
Yep, I was looking at going this year and found the same cost. Plus, due to the exchange rate you will get hammered once your over there. I figured once I flew, rented a car, bought new gear and food, that I would spend around $3-3500 on the trip. I think I'll try again next year and hope the dollar has regained some value.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2137820)   #13
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
Yep, I was looking at going this year and found the same cost. Plus, due to the exchange rate you will get hammered once your over there. I figured once I flew, rented a car, bought new gear and food, that I would spend around $3-3500 on the trip. I think I'll try again next year and hope the dollar has regained some value.
And perhaps, the price of fuel comes down. That is one of the main reasons airline tickets have taken such a jump lately.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2137827)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The local supermarket "Carrefour" stocks cheap tents , sleeping bags , ground matts and cheap bar-b-q's ..... plenty of folk leave their stuff behind ..... I think this year you can catch a tram from the camping sites to the supermarket . Its not really far .... about 2 miles , or a taxi .
Old 25 Feb 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2137916)   #15
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

Advance purchase is important!

I went to Europe in General, I planned going to the race but I was running out of cash and when I got stuck in Gent, Belgium and heard it might rain anyway, I decided on going and went back to my nice and dry hostel with WiFi and pay internet TV coverage of the race, advert free, but had to listen to Radio Le Mans as the broadcast wasn't in English -

Anyway, I paid $1021 taxes and fees included via Orbitz - Virgin Atantic/BMI

LAX to Amsterdam (about $600 roundtrip)

I left Labor Day Weekend and yes I know what your thinking, the race isn't until mid June.

But the truth is, the best time to travel is during the off-season. That is basically anytime after Thanksgiving and anytime before June.

You hit typical high season prices about mid May if you didn't purchase your tickets 2 weeks in advance.

My advice if your doing this on a budget -

Find the cheapest flight you can into Europe.

That is usually Frankfurt, Germany

Frankfurt is also ideal because ICE (Inner City Express) runs I believe twice a day from Frankfurt Main (Main train station) to Paris Main Station, were you need to pick up regional train to the Le Mans train station, near the track.

Very simple and it was cheap then because they had just started the service last year and had introductory rates.

BTW I saw peak of 320km per hour most of the trip on ICE...

Yes your hauling ass Matilda...

Get some basic camping gear and in between that, stay in Hostels!

Really, unless your trying to impress somebody with your hotel room, I found everything I needed at hostels, even single rooms.

I don't look old (maybe 25) so I fit in with college aged people that tend to use Hostels, but there are older people as well, you won't feel left out or something.

I think if you budget correctly you could you could do the race for around $2,000US including your tickets to get into the track and I suggest getting those ASAP the track sells QUICKLY and yes get their EARLY, you can just imagine the humanity just by looking at the grandstands.

In that includes tours of castles and other touristy things for the budget minded and even a trip or two to an FKK if your into that sort of thing -

You don't need to hire(rent) a car. I didn't and its very costly...

But, having said that, if your in market for a new car, you could buy a Volvo, Benz, Saab or BMW via European Delivery. In the case with Volvo, your plane ride to pick up your car is included!

http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg6.htm

Then you can bomb down the Autobahn in your own car...

Last edited by dj4monie; 25 Feb 2008 at 22:04.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2138033)   #16
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
Audi has that European delivery program as well. Hmmmm....retire my "old" A4 and pick up a new S4, drive it on the Nordschleife, go to Le Mans. Damn what a week that would be!!!
Old 26 Feb 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2138576)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Audi has that European delivery program as well. Hmmmm....retire my "old" A4 and pick up a new S4, drive it on the Nordschleife, go to Le Mans. Damn what a week that would be!!!
Ding GREAT IDEA....
Old 26 Feb 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2138646)   #18
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
S4 or RS4. A new S5, maybe. Let's spend your money!
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2140705)   #19
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Too bad Audi's discounts aren't as deep as Volvo's or BMW's and I just witnessed an almost stock BMW 335i automatic sedan run 11.83@117 on drag radials...

Before Au puffs his chest out about his Vette, a C6 stick with bolt-ons managed a 11.90@114 on Pilot Sports as the owner normally circuit races his Vette, as you do.

A4s are deathly slow unless you call up ATP for one of their K killer turbo upgrades -http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release050305.htm

S4 is not worth the extra beans IMHO

135i would be cheaper and CLEAN UP the competition!

Back on Topic, though..lol

I saw GPTours has their Le Mans deal for $1365 - http://www.gptours.com/Le-Mans-24-Hours
Old 29 Feb 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2140734)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
135i would be cheaper and CLEAN UP the competition!
I was reading the other day that the 135i isn't that much lighter than the 335i so there won't be huge performance gains.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2140978)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Too bad Audi's discounts aren't as deep as Volvo's or BMW's and I just witnessed an almost stock BMW 335i automatic sedan run 11.83@117 on drag radials...

Before Au puffs his chest out about his Vette, a C6 stick with bolt-ons managed a 11.90@114 on Pilot Sports as the owner normally circuit races his Vette, as you do.
Hey Hey HEY I resemble that remark

I like Audi's. Like them very much, except for the repair bills. Not much of BMW 3 seires fan for a road going car. Great for Spec E30 racing.

Like the Bimmer 5 series quite a bit.

If I wanted a European car I would do the European Delivery option.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2141034)   #22
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
I was reading the other day that the 135i isn't that much lighter than the 335i so there won't be huge performance gains.
About 500lbs.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2141403)   #23
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
About 500lbs.
Actually its just over 100lbs less and 2 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile -

13.1's vs 13.3's in the 335i Coupe its in Motor Trend, prolly the best set of "drag racers" in print writing (must be the cubical next to them is Hot Rod...)

With better tires its 12 second cars just like the 335i...
Old 1 Mar 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2141405)   #24
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Hey Hey HEY I resemble that remark

I like Audi's. Like them very much, except for the repair bills. Not much of BMW 3 seires fan for a road going car. Great for Spec E30 racing.

Like the Bimmer 5 series quite a bit.

If I wanted a European car I would do the European Delivery option.
Go over to the Bimmerworld or e90post forums and see all the stories of doing over twice the "double nickle" LEGALLY!
Old 1 Mar 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2141490)   #25
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Go over to the Bimmerworld or e90post forums and see all the stories of doing over twice the "double nickle" LEGALLY!
Yup I saw that. No dought it will be a great car. Hope the RELIABILTY of the one series will be better then the 3 sereies cars.

I will stick with Chevy, pick-ups and vettes.