Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 Mar 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3035288)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
The most unique track layouts in the world

Hi there all,

Here's a slightly different one (I hope) that'll get you all thinking.

I want to know, what is in your opinion the most unique track offering in the world?

Preferably one that I can hopefully download for rFactor!

By 'unique', I mean something that stands out to you as being 'different', but still feeling 'right'. These are very subjective terms, so I hope it creates some interesting answers.

Selby
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3035682)   #2
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no way a living encyclopedia of track science, but for me :

- The only *really* unique track i know is the Nordschleife.
- Potreros de los Funes : quite an unique site and layout, arround a lake, half in a town, would LOVE to drive there someday, whyyyy is it so far?
- Spa-Francorchamps : just an amazing track in every way i can think of!
- Nardo is unique too but how boring
- Ceasar's Palace parking lot because it's Em I Cee, Kay Ee Why, Em Ow You Ess Ee !!!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3035840)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Oran Park and the Bilbao street circuit are out of use, there are only very few tracks left with a figure of an 8. Suzuka is offcourse the most well known one, and there is one in Finland, but otherwise I can't think of one.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3035851)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
If it's not too much hassle guys, could we have some pictures with it? ie. the track layout?

Thanks!

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3035884)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You'll find many single line versions of the layouts Here
Old 6 Mar 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3035891)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ah fantastic site - I remember this one. Thanks mate.

Would love to hear your input, too.

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3035925)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Macau:

Scary-fast 1st and final sector. The middle sector through 'The far-away hills' is all about rhythm and flow. Has possibly the fastest corner in the world (so, sue me....) at Mandarin and then the slowest in the world at Melco.

Just a great track!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3035933)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Great call, Peat.

So surprised this track is still allowed to host the F3.

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3035952)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England

What about this? Hugenholtz's initial design for Suzuka!!

I'd love to see someone have a stab at designing proposed circuits. I remember seeing a cool one for Brands Hatch for when they wanted the F1 there back around 1994..

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3035954)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
If that doesn't work (which it doesn't for me), try this:

http://theracingline.net/racingcircu...Proposal1.html

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3035994)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
there are only very few tracks left with a figure of an 8. Suzuka is offcourse the most well known one, and there is one in Finland, but otherwise I can't think of one.
There are many of them in Argentina. I know well San Juan and Balcarce from watching races on television. There was another one in Mendoza, but it's ruined. Also, Balcarce is where Guido Falaschi died last year, and the safety equipment was terrible (truck tyre piles for example).

Most of the best circuits are unique: Macau, Spa-Francorchamps, Suzuka, Nordschleife...

One street circuit I believe is unique is Piriápolis, 100km from my hometown. Formula 3 do 1'25 flying laps in the 2.5 km course. That is under 110 km/h average, versus 135 km/h at Pau and Monaco...

But I'm sure many Brazilian drivers will describe it as the worst circuit ever
Old 6 Mar 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3036114)   #12
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW there is a small track in South America which hosts the Turismo Carratera series which is a figure 8 track, can't remember the name though.

In terms of weird layouts; Pau, Calder Park Roval (I think it's epic), Avus, The Mexico City configuration that runs through a Baseball Park, The Eurospeedway Lausitz 'Endurance course', Linas-Monthelry, Monza Roval, Bedford (it's an airport track, well worh a look on the track database), Continental Divide Raceway (2.8 mile Road Course for a 0.5 mile oval!), The original Street Circuit Brno, Oliver's Mount & Pescara.

not many of those are probably on rFactor though, sorry

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3037024)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Adam, I mentioned three Turismo Carretera figure 8 courses. Are you saying there is a fourth one? Could be, Argentina has the highest circuit per capita, I think.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3037114)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suspect that he's thinking of El Zonda (San Juan).
Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3037142)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Robert, you can't pass through here without giving your thoughts, i'm afraid

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3037209)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
One of my favorites that definitely had a special feature was the old (1990-97) Vancouver street circuit, which went underneath part of one of the stadiums there near the waterfront.

Certainly, in this day and age, there's a real draw for me to those old, long road circuits: Pescara, Montenero (Livorno), Masarykring (Brno), Mugello, Prince George (East London, South Africa), and Lobethal (Australia) to name a handful.

Among active courses, I don't think there's anything out there quite as unique, and insane, as the Isle of Man TT Circuit.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3037645)   #17
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if Pike's Peak is available on Rfactor but it's detinitely an unique track

Isle of man TT, yep that's wild , but only for bikes. I doubt it would be of any interest racing cars on this "track".
Old 9 Mar 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3037711)   #18
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it would be interesting but it would also be massivly unrealistic, which kind of isn't the point of a sim.

It only matters if it has a motor...