Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3941505)   #101
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
RB need a bit more from the Honda yet. I'm not buying that Gasly outpowered Sham up the hill to the finish yday!
I can certainly see both Max and Alex going for wins more regularly but it will need Merc to lose advantages and Ferrari to balls up again for either RB guy to get a genuine shot.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 23:10 (Ref:3941512)   #102
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm not buying that Gasly outpowered Sham up the hill to the finish yday!
Given setup differences, gearing, efficiency of aero, age of engines, who had DRS at any one moment, amount of stored k-energy, level of damage to the car and even now altitude of the track (ICE/turbo efficiency)!, it's hard to say for sure "what" part was the magic one. No doubt it was multiple things. Do it all again and it might go differently as well.

Either way, it was clear (via Hamilton in-car) that up the hill Gasly was able to go from them being even to then pull slightly away from Hamilton on the last lap.

https://youtu.be/3WZeoOkMf0Y?t=372

You can see at 6:12 that Lewis did have a run on him as they start to go up the hill, they cut away to show Max take the checkered and then cut back to Gasly/Lewis and the momentum is gone and as they get close to start/finish Gasly edges ever so slowly away. I can't see why Lewis would have lifted if that is the explanation. Even in the post race room just before the podium they two talk about how he Gasly was hoping and Lewis said he couldn't pull in Gasly up the hill.

Anyhow, as I say, it's likely track by track advantages now. Who knows who might have the advantage at the last race. RBR has done well at the Brazil track in recent history.

Richard
Old 19 Nov 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3941565)   #103
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The people most upset by the honda performance must be maclaren, ok they seem to be getting more from the power unit that the renault team but if they had stuck with Honda they could be competing for wins rather than midfield mediocrity.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3941581)   #104
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the Honda powered cars show the same level of performance at the sea level Yas Marina circuit it might be a smart move to place an early bet on a championship or two next year.I suppose we (and Honda) should be grateful that the negative comments last year gave them the stimulus to produce such an improvement.

I wonder if Zak Brown went home and kicked the cat.......
Old 19 Nov 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3941657)   #105
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if the damage to Hamilton’s front wing may have contributed to his inability to get past Gasly too
Old 19 Nov 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3941673)   #106
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder if the damage to Hamilton’s front wing may have contributed to his inability to get past Gasly too
Maybe. Then you also have those races in which a wing endplate is pretty damaged or missing and it seems to not impact the drivers pace much if at all!

Richard
Old 2 Dec 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3944304)   #107
Richard C
Veteran

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but Honda announced that they would be extending their involvement in F1 to 2021, but anything beyond that is dependent upon the final power unit regulations. They had previously said they would be here through 2020.

In the Motorsport Magazine article listed below is a quote from Honda COO (who is not a fan of F1)

Quote:
One of our goals is to make Honda a company that society wants to exist. In order to achieve this objective in the fast-changing environment, we have formulated the 2030 vision to provide new value unique to Honda. One of the keys to achieving this objective is in reducing CO2 output.’ A petrol-burning formula, hybrid or not, might not resonate much with an automotive company looking to move to electrical, hydrogen and fuel cell technology.
Honda is looking for some type of freeze on development of the internal combustion engine in 2022 and beyond. I assume the source articles are accurate in their wording in that they mention the ICE part of the larger power unit. So they may very well be OK with some ongoing development on the hybrid side? In 2021 cost cap rules will also impact power unit development including limits on how many hours devoted to running test bed engines. I think this is things such as single cylinder test units to test things like combustion tweaks, etc. This is likely welcome news for Honda, but they may want more.

In the end, Honda was OK with increasing their budget to catch up, but now that they seem to have mostly caught up (or are at least very close and with known developments yet to come), they are wanting to reduce that part of the F1 budget. It's probably hard to justify the level of spending internally, but a lower budget might be OK.

Of course, all of this is part of the manufacture/F1/FIA dance that is negotiations for the finalization of future Power Unit regulations.

Some good links that talk specifics

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...-contract-year

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...-2021/4602421/

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...paren-ab-2022/

Richard