Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3965145)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I always thought it would be easier to recycle or re use tyres. Jim Clark won four GPs on the same Dunlop tyres back in the 60s, so no reason why it can’t be done again with the improvement in technology we have had since then. But that’s probably a bit of a dream, but worth considering
Pirelli’s shredding of unused tyres was discussed as early as page 1 and later on in this thread. Nothing new here, although appreciate it’s a (bored?) journo release specific to the Oz GP.

As for doing 4 GPs nowadays on the same tyres, dream on! I think you’ll find construction, materials and compounds have considerably moved on from the 60s..... Not to mention the cars themselves. Or does the poster want F1 to return to those grip and wear characteristics, with several times the horsepower to put down and much heavier cars?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:25 (Ref:3965148)   #52
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
2020 probably their best chance of going carbon zero.....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3965150)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
2020 probably their best chance of going carbon zero.....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I did think that. Objective achieved
Old 18 Mar 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3965159)   #54
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

As for doing 4 GPs nowadays on the same tyres, dream on!
Weren't we in a position recently where tyres struggled to complete four laps, let alone four races?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3965188)   #55
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Weren't we in a position recently where tyres struggled to complete four laps, let alone four races?
I think we are still there aren't we....? They certainly lose their edge and peak performance after a few laps. Looking at qualy and they only last one lap.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3965196)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think they were as bad as they were when Pirelli first returned. They are longer lasting now
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3965365)   #57
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The tyres are designed to fail. This is a measure much like DRS, in order to spice up the racing. If they wanted to, they could easily produce a tyre that would last a whole race distance.

At the same time as having tryes designed to fail, and thousands tyres being chucked away unused each season, F1 are making noises about going carbon neutral, which is totally bizarre (to me at least).
Old 18 Mar 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3965373)   #58
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The tyres are designed to fail. This is a measure much like DRS, in order to spice up the racing. If they wanted to, they could easily produce a tyre that would last a whole race distance.

At the same time as having tryes designed to fail, and thousands tyres being chucked away unused each season, F1 are making noises about going carbon neutral, which is totally bizarre (to me at least).
Having tires designed to fail is not good from both an economical and sporting point of view, but it does not prevent Formula One from becoming carbon neutral.