Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3964110)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport and the Coronavirus

MUK have issued their guidance which seems to say “carry on but we are still monitoring”, in line with government advice. In the meantime some sports have already decided to cancel events and even in the motorsport world some rallies have been cancelled in the U.K.

Some sports appear to be ignoring government advice and making their own decisions.

For motorsport, The thing that appears not to have been mentioned in discussions so far is that the medical cover for events may be seriously impacted if those personnel are required to work extra hours in their day job at hospitals, GP surgeries, clinics or care homes etc.

Maybe motorsport should be proactive and also cancel events, if only to give the medics the opportunity to work where possibly most needed.

Discuss.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3964116)   #2
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Maybe motorsport should be proactive and also cancel events
Have you been hibernating? They have.

jimclark
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3964119)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Have you been hibernating? They have.
I meant MUK led. Ie all events, across the board in the U.K. I made it clear that some rallies have already taken the decision to cancel of their own initiative.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3964136)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not directly motorsport related but I've seen a FB post from Silverstone Social Events that their Turweston Classic Car gathering is still going ahead based on the current Government guidelines.

I'm not entirely certain what difference a couple of weeks is going to make.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3964138)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todays No Limits Bike Trackday is going ahead here.
I know next Saturdays NATSKA (school kids}Kart meeting @ Fulbeck has been cancelled.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3964145)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Todays No Limits Bike Trackday is going ahead here.
I know next Saturdays NATSKA (school kids}Kart meeting @ Fulbeck has been cancelled.
BTW we had a brilliant day Thursday with Javelin.Thanks for the heads up. Next day 21st April.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3964146)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you enjoyed it, the general feeling was that it was a success, lets hope we can have many more, the circuit is perfect for F.Fords in mu opinion.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 11:28 (Ref:3964155)   #8
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They just need to adopt the 'mix & match' approach adopted by these competitors in last weekend's VSCC Derbyshire Trial:

If you're driving, then wear a face-mask over your hat (or over helmets if using one), navigators should wear it on their face. Rear seat passengers don't need to bother as they maintain sufficient separation.
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC John Harris Trial 2020_0003_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3964203)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Great Western sprint, held at Castle Combe, is currently going ahead next Saturday but with no spectators allowed inside the circuit.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3964217)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
CSCC (and I suspect many other clubs) has of course issued a statement that they expect to carry on as planned, and I'd like to think that is the case - my entry is in for our first event of the season on April 18/19 at Cadwell - although the first event of the Series is in two weeks at Snetterton, but I'm sceptical given the way the government seems to be shifting ground as the case numbers ratchet up.

With my AROC hat on, we had a lengthy tele-conference Board meeting last night having already taken the decision to postpone the Section Secretaries meeting planned for this weekend , and rebook for this time next year.......all other planned events for this year are being reviewed on a case-by-case basis - but our view is that Government action being taken to restrict "mass attendance" events may mean that we have to cancel our Spring Alfa Day at Yorkshire wildlife park on April 19.

For the motorsport world generally, with all F1 now off until at least May, and Zandvoort looking at risk then, talk of business as normal seems optimistic, and I wonder how many clubs and circuits will find themselves in some financial difficulty.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 19:58 (Ref:3964224)   #11
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the Club statements of the last couple of days came on the back of the Motorsport UK one which in turn came on the back of the Government one...

Since then everything has moved on and I expect there will be another round of statements once the Government has announced the latest approach.

Motorsport events in the UK will undoubtedly take a bit - who, how much and for how long should be a little clearer as next week progresses.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 15 Mar 2020, 07:06 (Ref:3964274)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Notification by the East Midlands Association of Motorsport Clubs for events under their jurisdiction:

“Coronavirus update: Changes to Motorsport Safety Equipment and Vehicle Inspections

Dear Colleague,

It is judged that the current methods of close inspection of Competitors’ vehicles and Personal Protective Equipment may encourage the spread of virus contamination between Officials, Competitors, and other staff.

In order to reduce the potential risk, the following temporary changes are to be made to at all Motorsport UK events:

At scrutineering, all Entrants/Drivers are required to make verbal self-declarations that their Vehicle and Personal Protective Equipment complies with Motorsport UK Regulations/Event Regulations.

Personal Protective Equipment will not be closely examined by Event Officials unless the equipment is visibly defective. The Scrutineer may ask the Competitors/Entrant/Team members to display the full extent of equipment, and as a result, wherever possible no physical contact with the item or the wearer should be made by the Scrutineer. Any items identified to be causing an issue should not be confiscated, but rather should be retained by the Competitor/Entrant/Team.

No vehicle safety examinations will take place where contact with the vehicle is required, except where a safety defect is observed. Where any defect requires urgent inspection, any Event Official making contact with the vehicle should ensure that suitable protective clothing and gloves are worn. Cross contamination with other vehicles or persons is to be avoided. Where possible Competitors/Entrant/Team members should carry out any work required on the vehicle under the instructions of the Scrutineer.

These arrangements are introduced in order to restrict the amount of contact between people who may, even unknowingly, be carrying the virus.

Where there are reasonable grounds for any eligibility examination, this may take place after consideration of any risks involved, but in any event, cross contamination to other secondary vehicles or persons must be avoided.

Any person found to be contravening these self-declarations will of course be subject to current Motorsport UK sanctions.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Technical team at technical@motorsportuk.org.

In urgent matters of safety use the Motorsport UK emergency number

Best Regards,

Technical Team”
Old 15 Mar 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3964276)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Just re-read the email I copied and pasted above and it is from MUK so will be the approach for all Scrutineering going forward. Assuming we do “go forward”.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3964287)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just off to do local 10 K run . 1000 runners coughing , spitting , snorting and farting . What better way to spread the virus . Dr Bob said to keep quiet about just coming back from China .
Old 15 Mar 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3964290)   #15
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Everyman Trackday is happening here as I write.

Just get the feeling that this might be the last time we see anything on the track here for a few weeks (or longer) dependent on what the Government do in the week.
The next thing scheduled is a Javelin Trackday next Saturday (no single seaters), here's hoping.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3964306)   #16
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that only a few months ago this was nothing. Quite incredible and shocking as to how quickly it seems to have taken control of Europe and the world.

Always have sim racing though

Last edited by Willmaz223; 15 Mar 2020 at 10:53.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3964325)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
F1 may as well be sim racing now. At least on the sim style circuits!
Old 15 Mar 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3964336)   #18
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
As a club secretary we are cancelling all our events, competitive, tours and social for at least two months. Many organisers and marshals are in the vulnerable age group as are many competitors and the over 70s may be under house arrest soon. It is folly for the big events to go ahead. Neither is it good PR for the sport. I also doubt if many of our foreign competitors will be able to get there anyway!
Old 15 Mar 2020, 18:04 (Ref:3964366)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems the list of cancelled/ postponed races is kept dated day after day here.
So Andy, if we're still in good shape, what about a visit either Val de Vienne, Bugatti or another?
Old 15 Mar 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3964387)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The Great Western sprint, held at Castle Combe, is currently going ahead next Saturday but with no spectators allowed inside the circuit.
This is totally daft. There's about three men and a dog there, spread around the whole 1.8 mile perimeter. There's just as much likelihood of catching toxoplasmosis from slipping on/into cat faeces as there is catching coronavirus.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Mar 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3964392)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I really hope you're right here Max but in fact I fear you could be proved wrong, unfortunately at least on our continent. And its not my style to be pessimistic. Hope the cancellation of races, historic or modern, will remain a concern. IMO.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3964396)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
As a club secretary we are cancelling all our events, competitive, tours and social for at least two months. Many organisers and marshals are in the vulnerable age group as are many competitors and the over 70s may be under house arrest soon. It is folly for the big events to go ahead. Neither is it good PR for the sport. I also doubt if many of our foreign competitors will be able to get there anyway!
Exactly that thought went through my mind - though how they will enforce some of the rules they are coming up with I can't imagine. Where will they find the police as a starting point? And then what whill they do with the law breakers? Put them in the prisons they emptied due to the risk of infection transmission?

Not a few people I have spoken to have suggested they will not need to go out shopping because they can get things delivered.

Ok, but how many of the delivery drivers are of an age that is at least somewhat "at risk" ? What happens if they are taken out of the game?

I have been told that some supermarkets have no available delivery slots for at least 10 days - maybe longer now.

Not too many alternative non-shop based food sources around here. There are a few pigeons. And some cats. Anyone know what cat tastes like?

Not much chance with the dogs. They always seem to be on leads so I suppose one would have to "deal with" the owner as well. That might be difficult to cover up - always assuming they have not eaten their pet first before one gets a chance.

Must be about time to watch again "King Rat" in order to pick up a few survival tips ...

Old 16 Mar 2020, 06:11 (Ref:3964436)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Anyone know what cat tastes like?
You mean pussy cats? Or… Please this is a motorsport forum here, Grant…
Old 16 Mar 2020, 06:20 (Ref:3964438)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
So Andy, if we're still in good shape, what about a visit either Val de Vienne, Bugatti or another?
One day, Gerard, maybe.
Equally, you would be welcome to race here. Donington Park, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park are all great (non airfield based) circuits ( the clue is in the “park”) and worth visiting.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 06:46 (Ref:3964441)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You're a good salesman, Andy. I watched many on-board videos taken at Cadwell it looks so different. Donny looks great too. Till now, raced at Silverstone, visited Brands and Ethel.