Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3983770)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s a good point. Ferrari too prioritised his racing programme, especially F1, using road cars as a necessary evil to fund it. Maybe it is the same with McLaren and Ron Dennis. It would make a lot of sense
Old 25 Jun 2020, 12:54 (Ref:3983779)   #102
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
On another point, I read that a sale and leasback of the McLaren factory is one option being considered. Many struggling retailers and care home groups have tried this before, often they are disasterous and end up with the business losing their key assets and gaining a liability, which can become unaffordable.
would agree with that - see many retail stores looking to renegotiate their leases with the landlords in hard times.

selling and renting it back is very much something that you only want to do if it's the last chance and you'd be unlikely to survive another downturn. if mclaren have got themselves in that position then borrowing money is going to be expensive for them as well. i'm sure we all know that the key to having a business that'll survive the ups and downs is keeping overheads as low as possible without impacting the actual business. outside f1, the teams in the best shape as we come out of lockdown are the ones who run out of tiny unremarkable sheds and premises that they own rather than rent.

same goes for personal finance which is why the mass switch to leasing cars blows my mind. but that's another rant for another day
Old 25 Jun 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3983806)   #103
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing wrong with mirroring the Ferrari model. And while Ferrari have figured it out, if you look at their entire history, they are not without their rough spots. It's a combo of hard work and also luck that allows you to survive.

I agree with comments by Moneyseeker and bella regarding selling and then leasing your facilities are actions of the desperate. If we are seeing execution of plan "C", what does plan "D" look like?

Richard
Old 25 Jun 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3983813)   #104
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
would agree with that - see many retail stores looking to renegotiate their leases with the landlords in hard times.

selling and renting it back is very much something that you only want to do if it's the last chance and you'd be unlikely to survive another downturn. if mclaren have got themselves in that position then borrowing money is going to be expensive for them as well. i'm sure we all know that the key to having a business that'll survive the ups and downs is keeping overheads as low as possible without impacting the actual business. outside f1, the teams in the best shape as we come out of lockdown are the ones who run out of tiny unremarkable sheds and premises that they own rather than rent.

same goes for personal finance which is why the mass switch to leasing cars blows my mind. but that's another rant for another day
I think there are a lot of businesses who have paid out hundreds of millions or even billions in dividends over the last few years, that probably wish they still had that money in the bank now. The old adage about a rainy day, was never more relevant (not talking about McLaren specifically) but I feel there are too many businesses that have work on constant projected growth rather than building cash reserves. Whereas the main tech giants have hundreds of billions in cash reserves and could buy more or less any busines they wanted.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 17:26 (Ref:3983817)   #105
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Nothing wrong with mirroring the Ferrari model. And while Ferrari have figured it out, if you look at their entire history, they are not without their rough spots. It's a combo of hard work and also luck that allows you to survive.

I agree with comments by Moneyseeker and bella regarding selling and then leasing your facilities are actions of the desperate. If we are seeing execution of plan "C", what does plan "D" look like?

Richard
Agreed, there was a time when Ferrari dealers could barely give cars away and had forecourts full of them, back in the 80's one dealer I read was painting unsold cars in a more desirable colour to try and sell them.

Lamborghini is now selling 8,000 cars a year, the majority of which are the Ursus SUV, apparently and Porsche biggest seller is the Macan and if they can ever afford to build them, I imagine the Aston DBX will be a similar story.

Ferrari suv-esque model in the pipeline, I believe.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3983831)   #106
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

I still haven't got the SUV thing although I've ordered a Mach E and my tow car is a Grand Cherokee. It may be that car buyers are all old fat gits with dodgy knees. But today I saw a chap in his thirties backing out of his drive in one of those Peugout (spelling) 2008 thingies which I believe is also a SUV. So unless he has early onset arthritis he doesn't fit my model.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 25 Jun 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3983834)   #107
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wouldn’t be seen dead in any kind of luxury sportscar personally but the big porsche things are pretty cheap second hand if you don’t mind them being built by an army of illiterate toddlers on red smarties.

got a family friend with one of those sporty upgrade jags, he’s had it a year or so and i still haven’t tired of taking the p!ss out of him for it. his excuse is that the carpets are lovely and it’s reliable aside from the 50 things he’s had to fix on it
Old 29 Jun 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3984475)   #108
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
It tells you something when McLaren have a Dallara in the lobby.
Old 29 Jun 2020, 23:08 (Ref:3984571)   #109
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That you can’t build your own chassis in Indycar.

More telling that they bought the wrong bits for the qualifying attempt last year!