Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 29 May 2012, 03:31 (Ref:3080916)   #1
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Track Builder

*sigh*
Alright, I hate to ask this because I reckon it's been asked on probably just about every racing message board, especially in sections for virtual racing, but....

Are there any realistic racing games (not super-arcadey, futuristic, or fantasy) on PC or game consoles of the past couple generations (no earlier than PS2) that have a decent track editor? I don't mean something like the one in Midnight Club or in PGR where you have a map and you just plot waypoints, but rather you lay out the track yourself.

Some people argue against the notion of track editors in stuff like GT or Forza, pointing out how much time it takes the developers to craft their tracks, but they're doing it in intimate, polygon-by-polygon detail, sculpting and modeling everything from the ground up. We don't need to get that involved. We just need some pre-formed structures and whatnot for scenery and the ability to lay out a basic circuit. It doesn't need to be polygon-perfect.

I think I've seen places that have stand-alone software that can be used to create circuits that can then be imported into games. I think there's a "Bob's Course Builder" or something to that effect. I was sort of hoping a game had one build-in with it.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3080989)   #2
osellacz
Rookie

osellacz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much doubt there's a serious game with editor built in, there's this Bobs track builder, with which you can build new tracks for rFactor, GTR2, GTL and others.
Old 29 May 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3080994)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Happy to help you some of that, too.

I'm no expert myself but I can help get you started. There's alot of handy tutorials on YouTube if you look out for 'piddy's videos.

Selby
Old 30 May 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3081617)   #4
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osellacz View Post
Very much doubt there's a serious game with editor built in, there's this Bobs track builder, with which you can build new tracks for rFactor, GTR2, GTL and others.
Yeah, that was the most promising thing I had yet run across. I checked out their page a couple or three times before. I suppose my best bet would be to get it and use it for something like rFactor. I never did get rFactor yet because up until this year I had a PC from 2005, though even my new one isn't all that mighty. It's just a $600 Walmart special.

I see I got the name a bit wrong in my topic post. I was close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Happy to help you some of that, too.

I'm no expert myself but I can help get you started. There's alot of handy tutorials on YouTube if you look out for 'piddy's videos.

Selby
You mean for the Bob's one?
Old 7 Jun 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3086619)   #5
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a mess around with Bob's Track builder a few weeks ago. It is a seriously impressive bit of kit. Watch the youtube tutorials and an evening's work will get you a perfectly respectable basic track. If you have more time, a week of evenings could get you something really impressive.

The best thing about it is that you can produce near photorealistic tracks for Richard Burns Rally - still the best sim out there for me (sorry GPL fans..).
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3087008)   #6
osellacz
Rookie

osellacz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that RBR is just brilliant!!

What a huge shame there is NO rally successor in the making. Anything else than rbr is a joke when it comes to gravel.