Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jun 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3417262)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Veggie Queens Birthday Weekend

So... if the stories are right... this should be out in the world well before Bathurst...

The same venues as this season, perhaps a Texas invasion, doubled with another US-based round.. maybe the AGP becomes a points paying weekend...

But... who besides me remembers the 2007 calendar... when the V8SC group ran a 3 day race meeting across Saturday, Sunday and Monday of the Queens Birthday long weekend at fan favourite (*upchuck*) Eastern Creek..

Wonder whether the brainstrust in the V8SC events universe have plans to emulate this great event in season 2015?

It would give families an outing destination for the holiday Monday...

...and give us fan-types something to watch on the teev today rather than Studio 10 and reruns of Charlie's Angels Kingswood Country.

Imagine putting such an event in a metropolitan centre that actually draws crowds. So NOT Eastern Creek then.

Sandown??

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Jun 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3417380)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... if the stories are right... this should be out in the world well before Bathurst...

The same venues as this season, perhaps a Texas invasion, doubled with another US-based round.. maybe the AGP becomes a points paying weekend...

But... who besides me remembers the 2007 calendar... when the V8SC group ran a 3 day race meeting across Saturday, Sunday and Monday of the Queens Birthday long weekend at fan favourite (*upchuck*) Eastern Creek..

Wonder whether the brainstrust in the V8SC events universe have plans to emulate this great event in season 2015?

...and give us fan-types something to watch on the teev today rather than Studio 10 and reruns of Charlie's Angels Kingswood Country.

Imagine putting such an event in a metropolitan centre that actually draws crowds. So NOT Eastern Creek then.

Sandown??

They tried the Queens Birthday Monday thing at Sandown in 2008, and it didn't work then either.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3417393)   #3
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FTA viewers wouldn't get to see it anyway. Even if they did Ch10 would play it the next day or something stupid.
No one at 10 seemed to think replaying the F1 from early this morning would be a good idea. No, repeats and rubbish was the order of the day.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3417468)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is being replayed at 10:30pm tonight on ONE.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3417493)   #5
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
F1 is being replayed at 10:30pm tonight on ONE.
Get used to this as next year this will be normal from ONE for the V8sc and any decent motor sport. Unless your one of the rich folk who can afford Foxtel.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3417849)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Get used to this as next year this will be normal from ONE for the V8sc and any decent motor sport. Unless your one of the rich folk who can afford Foxtel.
its also going to be repeated on Thursday at 10.30am. hope multiple repeats is something i have to get used to.

They tell me that foxtel is quite common in housing commission areas, not sure how they can be determined as rich?

sounds like you need to learn to budget
Old 10 Jun 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3417924)   #7
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, I must be missing something here, what are you talking about?
Old 10 Jun 2014, 02:20 (Ref:3417925)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
sorry, I must be missing something here, what are you talking about?
I think GTR is suggesting that next year V8s might be racing on the Queens birthday weekend from Saturday to Monday
Old 10 Jun 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3417939)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its also going to be repeated on Thursday at 10.30am.
8am in Sydney according to Tivo
Old 10 Jun 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3417940)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
sounds like you need to learn to budget
Not sure how such a generic and vague comment has any relevancy for somones indiuvidual circumstances
Old 10 Jun 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3417986)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Sandown??

Sandown in June? Brrr - no thanks, pretty likely to be cold and wet & as 155 said, it didn't work in 2008. Would be no good in Qld as the Winternationals are on at Willowbank and that precinct ain't big enough to have both at the same time. Sydney - well the only option in the metro area is SMP and as you point out, it didn't work there in 2007.

Adelaide - no viable options, Perth might be possible but their June holiday is WA day and this year was the weekend before the rest of the country had the QB weekend. Canberra - well, that's been tried. Darwin might work but I think that you're talking more about the large capital cities.

Maybe best to leave it alone. Better off to head to Qld and go to the Winternationals (fantastic event) and Cooly Rocks (also a fantastic event) and enjoy some different types of car crazy action!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3418080)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sandown in June? Brrr - no thanks, pretty likely to be cold and wet & as 155 said, it didn't work in 2008. Would be no good in Qld as the Winternationals are on at Willowbank and that precinct ain't big enough to have both at the same time. Sydney - well the only option in the metro area is SMP and as you point out, it didn't work there in 2007.

Adelaide - no viable options, Perth might be possible but their June holiday is WA day and this year was the weekend before the rest of the country had the QB weekend. Canberra - well, that's been tried. Darwin might work but I think that you're talking more about the large capital cities.

Maybe best to leave it alone. Better off to head to Qld and go to the Winternationals (fantastic event) and Cooly Rocks (also a fantastic event) and enjoy some different types of car crazy action!
You could potentially relocate Darwin or Townsville...
Old 10 Jun 2014, 11:56 (Ref:3418089)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
You could potentially relocate Darwin or Townsville...
You probably could. Both are technically (just) "metropolitan" I guess so they'd qualify under your original criteria.

Might work!
Old 10 Jun 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3418103)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Townsville on June long weekend would be a nice holiday for Victorians
Old 12 Jun 2014, 06:39 (Ref:3419062)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Townsville on June long weekend would be a nice holiday for Victorians
They like having it on the weekend that it currently is because that's the start of the Nth Qld peak season - fills the rooms at the higher rates.

Having done it last year, including trip to Port Douglas beforehand, prices literally jump 50-75% from June 30 to July 1.

Regarding previous attempts - in fairness to Eastern Creek, the weather that weekend was absolutely shocking. Bucketed rain the entire weekend.

Not saying it should go to EC though. I think anywhere metro in the middle of winter would struggle. Even Ipswich in June is bitterly cold in the mornings.

Perth might be an option though as it might be warm enough if you couldn't hold it up north.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3419126)   #16
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darwin may not be an option either as that is traditionally the Finke weekend. Not sure if NT major events would want thier two biggest events held on the same weekend
Old 13 Jun 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3419735)   #17
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
Darwin may not be an option either as that is traditionally the Finke weekend. Not sure if NT major events would want thier two biggest events held on the same weekend
You'd think not - but then again they could hold them a week apart and have a 'motorsport festival'. Encourage people to have longer holidays and do part of both events.

Maybe?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3419820)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
You'd think not - but then again they could hold them a week apart and have a 'motorsport festival'. Encourage people to have longer holidays and do part of both events.

Maybe?
Sounds clever...
Old 16 Jun 2014, 02:47 (Ref:3422361)   #19
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Perth might be an option though as it might be warm enough if you couldn't hold it up north.
If the idea is to have a race on the Monday, then Perth doesn't really work as they don't share the QB weekend with the rest of Oz. Their WA Day long w/e is always 1 week earlier than our QB weekend. Perth gets their QB weekend in late Sept or early October.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3423697)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course no one has mentioned the Canberra 400 was held on the Queens Birthday weekend when it existed.