Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2819761)   #301
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I think I would have a problem getting Mavis to sign it again as she passed away in 2009
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2819836)   #302
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I can see how that might be a problem.....

How much does a spiritualist charge? - you might still be able to turn a profit
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2819845)   #303
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On a scale of small to large, medium.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2819861)   #304
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On a scale of small to large, medium.

I see what you did, there.....
Old 24 Jan 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2819909)   #305
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reached for some tie wraps in the garage yesterday and managed to knock a small angle grinder off the shelf which landed on the bonnet of my wife's Audi A2.

Severe sense of humour failure by Mrs R and £120 of my much hard earned to get it fixed
Old 24 Jan 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2819925)   #306
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Alan look on the bright side. If it had been a Ford it would now be a write off
Old 24 Jan 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2819939)   #307
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
T break at Delta HQ. Just starting to write my acceptance speech for winning pic caption. Promise i wont go on for too long.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2819974)   #308
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
T break at Delta HQ. Just starting to write my acceptance speech for winning pic caption. Promise i wont go on for too long.
If you put it on YouTube just remember - loads of tears and thank everyone that you've ever met for giving you the inspiration!
Old 24 Jan 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2819982)   #309
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was driving to a meeting this morning when I looked over to the other side of the dual carriageway. On the back of a flat bed truck was a Martini liveried sportscar Group 6 prototype. I think it was a Porsche but had to watch where I was going unfortunately.

Perhaps there's something afoot out here?
Old 24 Jan 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2820015)   #310
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Alan look on the bright side. If it had been a Ford it would now be a write off
Her last car was a Fiesta. What a pile of junk
Old 24 Jan 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2820023)   #311
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Her last car was a Fiesta. What a pile of junk
The lasting memory of the A2 I owned for a year or so was the way the car would rock from side to side if the single wiper was put on fast speed while parked!

Super little car though and would happily have another if I needed a runabout.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2820025)   #312
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The lasting memory of the A2 I owned for a year or so was the way the car would rock from side to side if the single wiper was put on fast speed while parked!

Super little car though and would happily have another if I needed a runabout.
I've not noticed that, although it does get caught in the wind a bit on motorways. A cracking little car and as it's nearly all Aluminium it won't rust away like the old Ford
Old 25 Jan 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2820251)   #313
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I reached for some tie wraps in the garage yesterday and managed to knock a small angle grinder off the shelf which landed on the bonnet of my wife's Audi A2.

Severe sense of humour failure by Mrs R and £120 of my much hard earned to get it fixed
At least the grinder wasn't running, £120 would have been a good quote

I had the handle snap on one once, the moves I made to get out of the way would have made Anne Widdicome look likea Walrus in heels
Old 25 Jan 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2820317)   #314
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
At least the grinder wasn't running, £120 would have been a good quote

I had the handle snap on one once, the moves I made to get out of the way would have made Anne Widdicome look likea Walrus in heels
But she does look like a walrus in heels.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2820416)   #315
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
to our eyes yes Michel

some people pay good money to go and watch
Old 25 Jan 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2820474)   #316
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
to our eyes yes Michel

some people pay good money to go and watch
are you brave enough to post a picture?
Old 25 Jan 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2820491)   #317
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A friend of mine now departed was using an angle grider above his head and it kicked back on him and nearly cut his face in two leaving him with a nasty scar the full length of his face.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2820506)   #318
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So just you be thankful Alan, and never worry abouth the bonnet. You could be suffering from a split personality tonight.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2820577)   #319
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
A friend of mine now departed was using an angle grinder above his head and it kicked back on him and nearly cut his face in two leaving him with a nasty scar the full length of his face.
A chap on one of the local farms near me was using one without the guard and it dug into the inside of his wrist, cutting through the nerves and all the parts that make the hand work.
This was 20 years ago and he has never recovered the full use of that hand.
A lot of us (including me ) get complacent with power tools if you use them every day until something happens !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Jan 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2820611)   #320
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Technology - such a wonderful thing!

When it works!!!

Had a little roadtrip tonight to collect some ebay purchases, went my own way there (as plotted on my map at home) except for the last couple of miles where we used the satnav which took us right to the guys front door.

Missus then reckoned there was a quicker way home so got the satnav directing the route which looked ok as we were making progress across country (home is Staffordshire and the guy was on Lincolnshire coast btw). Lots of nice featurless, very dark but devoid of traffic B roads so was motoring on until suddenly the map/directions went off the screen to be replaced with a message saying the unit was b******d and to contact our dealer!!!!! Had no idea where we was or even what direction we were heading. Stopped to get the map book from the back seat when I was informed the map I had used in the house was the one from the car (its the missus'), she took it out cuz she uses the satnav

Followed me nose home!!

Luckily the car is in for service Saturday so they can sort that out as well as the 'rain activated wipers' which actually don't.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 26 Jan 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2820663)   #321
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, since being caught out by technology if am on a journey to a part of the world am not familiar with now always take a map as well as satnav. Not a nice feeling suddenly realising you have no idea at all where you are!

The first satnav I bought was made by Sony and software went into a laptop. Passenger had to sit holding it or you had to prop it up in seat and keep looking round! Also had to remember to change settings to stop screen display shutting down on timer! It was very slow and was quite easy to miss a turn if going fast enough........... Also had an early Garmin / BMW 'brick' on an 1150GS that required all maps to be loaded on home PC, then you could select the areas required and download to tiny satnav memory. Sometimes if traversing Europe memory was not enough and you had to leave some of route out! Despite that and being very slow it never let me down. If you needed to re-route it was as if it had to sit down and get a map out to calculate.........
Old 26 Jan 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2820669)   #322
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The systems on smartphones are pretty good. OVI maps gives you directional instructions. This is Nokia specific.

Blackberry has a good map system but not directional. Possibly the best for general usage is Google maps. Works on most platforms and is pretty accurate. If the sat nav goes down, just fire up the smartphone and it'll show you where you are. It works at sea as well, if your phone is GPS enabled.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2820685)   #323
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Years ago before sat nav I went to Clermont-Ferrand. I got somewhere near the track then drove round and round getting nowhere. As I am fluent in French I passed a house and this chap was cutting his lawn. After a lot of hand waving and me shrugging my shoulders he then told me to wait!!!!. The lawn mower was put away in his shed he then locked up his house and got his car out of the garage. I was then told to follow. It then too a good half hour as I was obviously still some distance from the track.He took me all the way to the track.Somehow could not see anyone over here doing that a very kind French man.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2820694)   #324
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Ovi sat nav isn't that good Peter, I've got it. It had me running up and down Welsh goat tracks once, and took me through the some very odd places on another occasion. Oh and now it demands money despite being free!

Atlas. & Googlemaps for me, just use the Nokia to find exactly where I am.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2820702)   #325
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it does pay to look out of the windscreen occaisionally.

OVI works out here quite well, it even identifies the camel tracks. However Google is much more reliable.