Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2814921)   #151
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=
Q: does anyone know how to use a cylinder boring machine? I've got a Buma prehistoric one which appears in excellent condition and its got all its bits ( I think) I just have no idea how to use it . . . . If its rubbish I'll get rid, but seems a shame to not even try.[/QUOTE]

I use van norman myself. Post some pics and i'll give you clues
Old 12 Jan 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2814958)   #152
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
How convenient are the 'facilities' at Delta HQ? I am told that Pot Noodles are actually very nutricious and healthy. Think it was Unilever that told me......

Out of date? The christmas pud just finished was 2009, my porridge milk this morning was 4 days over and fine. Sour Cream isn't sour until well past, and as for cheese.....
I am convinced that all your intake goes straight through your system Mike. Hence your F1 driver type physeek
Old 12 Jan 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2814974)   #153
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Q: does anyone know how to use a cylinder boring machine? I've got a Buma prehistoric one which appears in excellent condition and its got all its bits ( I think) I just have no idea how to use it . . . . If its rubbish I'll get rid, but seems a shame to not even try.
Most of that type like the Van Norman work pretty well the same where the boring bar is held in place with the next bore.
You centralise the bar and then tighten the clamp.
These type were used for years by "mobile re-bore" guys that would turn up at your house/workshop and would rebore your engine in situ by whipping the head and sump off and take out the rods n pistons.
Getting the cast iron swarf out wasn't so easy and taping the crank journals up and plenty of paraffin in the cleaning gun was about all you could do.
If it's old it's probably better made than any newer Chinese crap !
Go on Joe you know you want to try it, you must have some old Knackered blocks kicking about !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jan 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2814977)   #154
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hey Joe did you find it in a scrap yard !
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...ne-info-needed
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jan 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2814993)   #155
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ALready found that GOrdon!

I think I'll have a crack tomorrow, need to rebore about 5 blocks . . .if it takes me 2 days it'll pay me to do it!

It came (apparently complete) when I bought the milling machine and lathe etc, got honing stuff and the slow drill etc as well.

as for blocks . . . . I've got about 30 or so to play with . . .and I know where theres some more laying about If I need test pieces!

If I could do line boring and crank grinding I'd never have to leave the house workshop!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2814995)   #156
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
I use van norman myself. Post some pics and i'll give you clues
I may well take you up on that!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2815008)   #157
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
The only advice that I can give you is to make sure that it really is clamped properly as I have seen them come loose with disastrous results !
Also make sure that the tool doesn't hit anything as it finishes the boring at the bottom.
As long as the block face is still true to the bores these types of machines work well and are simple to use.
When I left the old garage that I ran with my brother for 30 years I remember throwing away loads of bits n pieces of an old Van Norman boring bar including the face plate adapter for use on the old Rover 4 and 6 cyl engines with the slanted block.
A lot of village garages had stuff like that as they used to recon engines in the old days when they were simple to work on.
A guy near me used to buy up all this stuff for peanuts as it got less cost effective to do up engines and used to paint and tart them up and flog them to India.
No doubt they are still giving stirling service out there in the sticks on Morris Oxfords !
Old 13 Jan 2011, 04:48 (Ref:2815076)   #158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Joe & Gordon this is fascinating stuff and reckon it consitutes a 'winter project' so we need lots of pics and reports on other thread. Love all the old machines.

Richard- didn't say I eat Pot Noodles- just asked 'what's wrong with them?'

Iain- No. I just worry a lot
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2815174)   #159
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain- No. I just worry a lot [/QUOTE]

Probably about where the nearest executive facility is after all that pot noodle
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2815182)   #160
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Iain- No. I just worry a lot
Probably about where the nearest executive facility is after all that pot noodle[/QUOTE]

Good one.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2815186)   #161
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Joe & Gordon this is fascinating stuff and reckon it consitutes a 'winter project' so we need lots of pics and reports on other thread. Love all the old machines.
I bought the lock up next to my workshop, ran power, insulated . . . .and bought a Colchester student ( roundhead imperial) Elliot U2 mill, the boring machine, a flypress, B&D valve refacer, pillar drill, compressor, blast cabinet, bench grinder . . . . . still not particularly profficient or profitable but I have damned good fun being skint making big bits of metal smaller, and small holes bigger!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2815199)   #162
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I bought the lock up next to my workshop, ran power, insulated . . . .and bought a Colchester student ( roundhead imperial) Elliot U2 mill, the boring machine, a flypress, B&D valve refacer, pillar drill, compressor, blast cabinet, bench grinder . . . . . still not particularly profficient or profitable but I have damned good fun being skint making big bits of metal smaller, and small holes bigger!

Ah, you are a sketch man.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2815255)   #163
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
far from it, pukka draughstman actually

just get a bit Jazzy with it from time to time!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2815311)   #164
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Ok . . .answers on an email ( or a postcard if your still that way inclined!)

everything was nice and oily, turns and is free, without feeling sloppy, the motor is electric, not steam, and even has a square pinned plug!

It looks like the head at the bottom has the cutting tool inserted and somehow it will drive up and down the bore . . . . no idea how to centralise it in the bore.

The box of bits is Van Norman ( dutch builder I thought, friend of Espers!) and appears complete, the black bar and large bolt I'm guessing will clamp down a neighbouring bore?

the measuring gauge is there, dialed like a micrometer ( I have numerous bore, and assorted gauge type tools as well.

I've even found a cruddy block to play with. . . . proper winter project!

sorry its not a car john, but it is solely for histrionic motorsport!
Attached Thumbnails
borer.jpg   borer head.jpg   van norman bits.jpg  

van norman bits2.jpg  
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2815315)   #165
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I even got 2 milk crates bolted together with the Ally sheet on top to sit it all on!

honing tool (got 2 bits of wood glued on it??? adjusts at the top for bore size)

and the slow geared drill / glaze breaker, which is great for quick rebuilds . . . or catching picked up boors when you run too much advance!!!.

and last winters project, the Elliot U2 mill . . . . machined a load of wedges so I can counter bore inlet tracts on precrossflow heads, saves hours, also got a load of assorted boring tools, end mills and a massive fly cutter so decking iron heads 4mm and then getting a finish smoother than Deltas fringe aint a problem

Its all old and doesn't look great, but it works well and is built like tanks! proper English Engineering
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00432-20110113-1559.jpg   U2 mill.jpg  
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2815319)   #166
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I recon you will be having open days soon Joe.You know London Tower sort of thing.Must post a pic sometime of me when i did have a fringe
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2815324)   #167
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'm taking some now, mines dissapearing faster than the national gold reserves!

I could donate it all and get a job at the engineerium in Hove !
Old 13 Jan 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2815370)   #168
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Great stuff Joe. Reminds me of some of the machines used to see in Fred Dibnah's programmes!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2815373)   #169
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The box of bits is Van Norman ( dutch builder I thought, friend of Espers!) and appears complete,
We dutch do have quite a tradition in precision boring you know (ever been to Amsterdam?)
Old 13 Jan 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2815378)   #170
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
We dutch do have quite a tradition in precision boring you know (ever been to Amsterdam?)
Loads of times, I recon that's why I turned out the good church going man that I am
Old 14 Jan 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2815563)   #171
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Great stuff Joe. Reminds me of some of the machines used to see in Fred Dibnah's programmes!
Nout wrong Wit Fred Lad.

I made this for cam clearances on Lotus twin cams, milled a 1/2" slot in a 1" bar, to within 0.0002", old it may be but it bloody well works, and I'm self taught!

I won't divulge some of the flying iron experiments I've conducted with the Lathe
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00351-20101117-1658.jpg  
Old 14 Jan 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2815569)   #172
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
Yes, but not for the precision boring.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2815582)   #173
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
You rizla twiddling rebel rocker Compte
Old 14 Jan 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2815585)   #174
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Y'know, had you got his title just slightly wrong there'd have been trouble!
Old 14 Jan 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2815637)   #175
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Yes, but not for the precision boring.
forgot the money?????